Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys were so great with the support you gave Michael that I did want to update you on his progress. He was approved for VA health benefits very quickly and he has an appointment in a few weeks to get his hbp medication and other ailment-related medication.

Tonight he is picking up his new work truck. Well, the truck's not new. It's a 1996 Eddie Bauer F-150 with 123k miles, in excellent shape from a generous private seller who gave us a break on the price. The truck is in Hickory NC, and Michael's wife, who I must say has been so very kind to Michael, is taking him up there to pick the truck up. It's about 3 hours from Clemson, SC. At one point, Michael arranged to have new keys made to replace the lost keys of his wife's SUV, or he wouldn't have been able to pick up his truck. He also drove a neighbor to visit his wife in the hospital, and fixed a problem on his wife's SUV. Anyway, it's been one blessing after another for Michael thus far.

Now that he has a truck, Michael plans to advertise and offer his services as a handyman/trash hauler in and around Clemson until he finds a job as a maintenance worker at an apartment complex. He also may have a lead on a job at a factory needing equipment haulers.

The money that everyone generously donated to him will now be used for saws and other handyman related tools. Randall, bless his kind heart, has kept in contact with Michael and has offered to donate some tools.

And finally, Michael would not accept another gift from me. He insisted on either working for the truck, or buying it on a loan basis. As he put it, "Liz, can you draw up the loan papers?" My reply was, "Ok, Michael, can I rest first?" (It did take a few days of us going back and forth on email to find the truck. And it was Michael who actually found it.)

I may have been a contributor who provided a way out for Michael, but he has also enriched my life as well! Thanks to all of you for your support, and for Harvey's patience in keeping the thread open for as long as he did! 

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Wonderful news, Twilly! So great to hear he's getting things together.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Twilly, I'm so glad you started this thread!  I was just looking you up on the Members List so I could send you a PM to ask about Michael. Then I decided to check your posts, and found this one.

It's very good news that he will get VA health benefits and has a truck.  I think he went with very little medical attention during his last year or two in the Philippines, and then only for emergencies such as the foot injury. The truck will give him freedom of movement and job opportunities.

Michael has an excellent work ethic. In his position, I would be so worn down I wouldn't have been able to do anything, but here he is, planning his jobs. I expect he will be able to find some handyman work. People are always needing something fixed, and it's hard to find a good workman.

I think it's great how you helped Michael, Twilly, and great of the others such as Randall who also went the extra mile. Please keep us posted. I've heard from Michael in a PM, but your post is more detailed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. Don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like further updates.

The truck is now in Michael's possession, albeit a little more battered looking than what was advertised, but he was able to get for 3300.00. Oh and that reminds me, when Michael sets a budget he sticks to it!

My motto is, and always has been, budget? what budget? ...

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Thank you for the update. M B has been on my mind lately, I thought he was still in the P. I., trying to eke out an existence. I lived there for 2 years and it is not an easy place to live so am really glad to hear he is back in the USA.
Thank you for how you have helped him.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
This update is the first news about MB that I've read for about 5 months. I had missed the earlier threads that he posted. In the last post I found from MB, he said:

"If this is starting to turn into a three ring circus it was not my intention, if they want to close the thread it is up to them and I agreed the goal was met to bring me home, now that I have been home I have met so much hostility from kboards I sometimes I wish I never came home to America and that is the Gods truth. I would have been better off to die there then come back to all this fighting and stuff I have to face everyday here. if you want to close it then I have no objections to it, up to kboards, since i have been back to AMerica it hs all been down hill anyway,, its not the place I remember."

Michael, if you happen to see this, I want you to know this much: I lived in the P. I. from 1968 to 1970. When we came back in 1970, I did not recognize the USA, it had changed that much.  Then I got drafted in 1972 and was sent to Germany for 19 months. When I returned to the USA in 1974, once again it seemed too different from the country I remembered.
Please hang in there. Life has dealt you some unpleasant hands of cards. I am in over my head right now because our car was totalled and we have a new roof that needs to be put on starting tomorrow. Otherwise I would send you some funds.
In the meantime, my wife and I will be praying for you by putting you on our prayer list. I know that sounds lame but please take it for what it's worth.
Thank you for your service to our country. My son's national guard unit went to both Iraq and Afghanistan. People who have never been there do not have a clue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will pass everybody's very supportive and encouraging messages on to Michael. He seems so much calmer now that some things are not only going right for him, but as he extends his services to others as well. Michael has a great sense of humor too. I wish he'd been able to utilize that more in his comments on KB, but I understand all too well the dark place he was in.

I do know he would welcome PM's from those of you who've been avidly following his journey, and commented so kindly.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts