Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't bought the Mighty Bright Light yet.......

But was just wondering....if it "scratches" the K or anything when placed "directly" on the Kindle itself. I have NO skin on my K. (So naked K then clamp the Mighty bright onto it).

--I also have a Oberon cover...that I do LOVE!! But like to use my K naked too sometimes.... ;D

Anyone else clamp their Mighty Bright lights straight onto your K's?? Does it seem to be ok?? No problems/damage, etc.? ???

TIA ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well, the bottom of the light has this foam on it. And it doesn't clamp hard enough to scratch it. At least it shouldn't. I use it on DTB though. Someone who uses it on their Kindle should be able to let you know.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am not sure where you would clamp it...maybe at the bottom? I would be afraid of slippage if it were at the top and may cause damage to the screen.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I clamp mine on my Oberon. Sometime I clamp it on the front, but usually it's on the back. (I like to fold the cover back sometimes, so it wouldn't illuminate my screen very well if clamped on the front.) I'd be afraid to clamp directly onto my naked (or even "skinned") Kindle. As the previous poster stated, I am not sure where I'd clamp it without potential damage.)

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I have a K1 and was surprised to find out that when I clamped the light to it, it didn't fit well.  I showed it to a friend who uses the light and it worked fine with her kindle because she has a silicone skin on it.  It was because of this that I decided I needed a cover . . . so I clip the light to the part of the cover that is bent back.  I don't use the light on the naked kindle.  It moves around on it and has even slipped off.

It may be different with a K2 though.  I thought it was strange that Amazon promotes that particular light as being kindle friendly.  I use it a lot, but not without the cover.  I have a decalgirl skin on my K1 now, but I still don't put the light directly on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I purchased one of these for use with my Kindle2.  I am NOT happy with the purchase.  I didn't find anyway to clip the light to the kindle that I could still hold it comfortably.  Even worse was the fact that the power buttons on the top have nothing to protect them from being turned on by accident while packed in a bag.  I have had several sets of batteries wasted because the light turned on without my knowledge in my carry on bag.  That all being said, this would be a great light for regular books...unless you wanted to travel with it.

Jonathan

·
Registered
530 Posts
stu11926 said:
I purchased one of these for use with my Kindle2. I am NOT happy with the purchase. I didn't find anyway to clip the light to the kindle that I could still hold it comfortably. Even worse was the fact that the power buttons on the top have nothing to protect them from being turned on by accident while packed in a bag. I have had several sets of batteries wasted because the light turned on without my knowledge in my carry on bag. That all being said, this would be a great light for regular books...unless you wanted to travel with it.

Jonathan
I love mine but then I clip it onto my cover so that I didn't run into the first problem Jonathan mentions. However, I did run into his second problem and my batteries were not the only thing to suffer. My LED lights have also taken a beating and one of them no longer works and the other is spotty at best. I plan on replacing it soon and I probably will buy another Mighty Bright light but I will be very very careful about how I pack it for travel. I use my mostly in the morning while my DH is still sleeping since for travel I am able to use the seat lights.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I used the Mighty Bright on my naked Kindle with no problems except occasional minor slippage (if I bumped it a little, it would slip just a bit). I clamped it in the upper right hand corner, and there was exactly the right amount of room.

Now My K2 has a DecalGirl skin and an M-edge Go jacket, and the same Mighty Bright clamps very nicely on the skinned K2 alone AND on the M-edge jacket folded back.  It does hold a little better on the skinned K2 and the covered K2 than it did on the naked Kindle.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I do not clip mine directly on the Kindle.  I feel there is not enough surface area to clamp it on and it tends to slip and I'm afraid it will hit the screen.  I never intended to clamp it directly to the Kindle when I bought it, so it doesn't bother me and I always read my Kindle in a cover.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You know, after 3 months, I had gotten really used to reading my poor, naked, coverless Kindle in bed (with the Mighty Bright).  Now that I have just a lightweight cover, it is amazing how much heavier it feels.  So I've decided to take it out of the cover for home reading, and I'll just be using the cover when I take it places.  I hope the hinge will last well in spite of opening and closing it more often.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I got rechargeable batteries for mine, but you're right about the power switch, Jonathan. I also have a couple of other minor issues with it For one, I wish that the other led lit up when in the 'low' setting. When in single led mode, the led that is on is while the the light is clamped to the top of my K2 is at more of an angle than the one that is unused. I guess that I'm too much of a power user, but I think that a third press option should be enabled to choose which led you want to use.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Recently my carry-on luggage was inspected because my Mighty Bright light had accidentally turned on. My travel toothbrush cover (the kind that just slips over the brush part) needs to be replaced. I am going to try the old cover on the head of the Mighty Bright to see if it prevents accidental button pushes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts