Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest post from publishing pundit Mike Shatzkin talks about computer programs that analyze books "by using natural language processing and semantic indexing to identify characteristics of the book that can be discerned by examining the writing." The programs examine "proper nouns, writing style, sentiment analysis, and story construction."

He goes on to say: "…it seemed dubious to me that the kinds of similarities these analyses could document really predicted what a person would want to read based on what they'd read before. This logic would only make sense if the objective were to recommend a "next book" to a reader, assuming they liked what they were reading and wanted their next book to provide a similar experience. (There clearly are readers like this and they are very visible in fiction genres, but I'm quite skeptical that most readers are like this.)" [Emphasis added]

And that, dear authors and readers, is why Mike Shatzkin is one of the most out-of-touch-with-reality book industry commentators around today.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Now how do I reach this guy?    I want to play with his brain.  Last few books were a humor,  erotica,  sea adventures,  Fix it and enjoy it and giant book of bread machine recipes.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The article http://www.idealog.com/blog/doing-seo-right-requires-research-into-the-audience-not-maximum-knowledge-of-the-book/ is actually about Search Engine Optimization, and lots of readers, like me and Cin, jump around the houses.

My recent reads (not all of which are tracked on my kboards reading page) have been contemporary fiction, classic fiction, American history, poetry, crime fiction, and historical fiction. For readers like me SEO is a better use of your marketing funds than techie book analyses, just as Mike writes.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I guess I'm confused... Isn't this what Amazon does all the time? "if you liked this, you'll like this. And authors do it, too... "If you like Stephen King, you'll like my book." Sounds like a different way to get there.... I guess Amazon does it based on purchasing patterns.

Betsy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts