Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was fiddling around with making replacement screensaver images for my Kindle 2, it occurred to me that Amazon may have missed a bet with the way they built the screensaver code.

The native Kindle format, as well as others like mobipocket, have the capacity to store a cover image as part of the e-book document. If the Kindle were to look at the 'active' document when you turned it off and, if it contained a cover image, use that as the screensaver image (falling back on the rotation of the standard images if it didn't contain a cover image or you were at a menu when you turned it off), you could see what you had been reading just by glancing at the Kindle as well as giving a minor sales incentive to books that had included cover images vs. different editions that didn't.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I sent to Amazon last October. Even before Oprah got excited, I think:

I had an idea about screen-savers. A comment I've seen on the various chat boards is that people would like to be able to have the front or back cover art. Many books do have a cover image as part of their file. Would it be possible to tie those images to the books for the screen saver? For instance, if I'm reading book A, and put the Kindle to sleep, the screen saver picture to come up would be that book's cover. When I get back to it, I'm instantly reminded of what I was reading much the way I am when I pick up a paper book I'm reading. The random selection of pictures would come up if the Kindle was put to sleep from the home page, or from a newspaper or something that didn't have a dedicated cover image.

At the time I got a reply that seemed to indicate they'd actually read my e-mail, in that they specifically referenced this as well as a couple of other comments.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If this is implemented, I hope it will be an option that can be turned off. Some of my paranormal and romance book covers are so darned cheesy that I never want to look at them, and I certainly don't want them as my screen saver.

Plus, if my current book was my screen saver, then other people could see what I was reading....

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
LDB said:
Excellent idea. Maybe it will get to someone with both the sense and the authority to get it implemented.
I agree with Leo. Yes, what he said.

Sailor

·
Registered
92 Posts
:D  "missed a bet"

Check out "Every Hand Revealed" by Gus Hanson and "Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time" by 3 different online players.  Both good reads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts