Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only uploaded Word file (.doc files) to KDP.  But I keep reading on threats about using mobipocket creator to create kindle files to view on Kindle.  I downloaded the SW, and ran it, and got HTML.  Not a .mobi file.  I googled for the answer, and "Use the Word import feature of the Creator. This will convert your Word document to HTML and add it to a new publication. You simply have to build the produced publication." which is useless to me, since it doesn't tell me how to "BUILD THE PRODUCED PUBLICATION."  Huh?

If running my Word file through mobipocket creator will speed up the process when I upload to KDP, or allow me to proof my ebooks, then I'm eager to use it.  But I'm just not understanding.  I don't think (I could be wrong) that Kindle can read HTML files.

Anyone have an answer, or a link to a site that instructs in "Mobipocket Creator for Dumbies" language?

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
1. Open your Word file in Word.
2. SAVE AS
3. In the save screen, choose WEB FILTERED as the file type.
4. SAVE.
Now you have a HTML file.

1. Open Mobi
2. IMPORT the Word HTML file
3. In left panel, click COVER
4. Navigate to cover file
5. Be sure to click UPDATE before leaving cover section
Now Mobi has the file and knows what the cover is

1. Up top, click BUILD
2. When BUILD finishes, you will have a .prc file that can be USB copied to your personal kindle or UPLOADed to Amazon.

TOC
I use Mobi to generate the TOC. To do that Mobi has to know what text should be part of the TOC. In Word, use STYLE h2 for each TOC item. then when the HTML file is created from Word, the tag is included.

To tell Mobi about the TOC h2 tag, click Table of Contents on left panel. Enter h2 in top row left column. Be sure so click save or update.

If you do this in Mobi prior to BUILD, the file will have a live TOC.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
USB copy the .prc to your Kindle. I think it goes in folder documents. You can be sure of the right file by just opening them and seeing which one is full of titles.

The file will show up on the Kindle as the file name. If the file name is XYZ, and the book title is Big Book, the title on your Kindle will be XYZ. That's fine. It will be Big Book when uploaded to Amazon.

Repeat the process until you like how the book looks. Then upload the file to DTP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts