Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you following the extensive thread on the Amazon boards, you'll recognize my postings. I've been experimenting with the font replacement hack in an effort to demonstrate what is possible using other fonts. The results are extremely encouraging and I hope that Amazon provides this ability officially. Once you see the comparisons, you'll understand why

In a nutshell, I've replaced my default fonts with a sans-serif font that I've hand tweaked for legibility on the K2 screen. Typically, I'd prefer a beautiful serif font for the reader, but the font smoothing algorithms render the contrast too low. Using a sans-serif font allows the K2 screen to display the characters in solid black (though still smoothed at the edges) for maximum contrast and readability.

Here's a page of comparison images (it might take a while to load on a slower connection):
http://sites.google.com/site/kindle2ui/moreimage

The goal here isn't to get you all to install the hack, it's to show the potential contrast of the K2's display. While this font definitely isn't for everybody, I've had quite a bit of positive feedback from people who would kill to have this on their unit.

Cheers,
Tedsan

·
Registered
904 Posts
Wow, looks really good, keep up the good work. ;D
jp

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tedsan,
I hope you forwarded these pictures to Amazon because if you can do this then there is no excuse why they cannot reproduce these results.  Your pictures are proof enough that there is a problem with the contrast of the Kindle 2.  Thank you for all your efforts.  Too bad you don't work for Amazon.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Quite a difference, looks like a font change is needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts