Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reported a week ago about Harlequin/Silhouette uploading all their 1990s titles for the first time as ebooks on July 15. I have since learned what royalty rate to expect on these, and the rate is even lower than my print royalty of 6 percent of the cover price!

Novelists Inc. commissioned a literary attorney (Elaine English, who is also an agent) to examine a representative sample of contracts from over the years, specifically to rule on ebooks and royalties and reversion of rights.

Her findings were most unwelcome, to say the least. The long and short of it is, authors will only get 3 percent of asking price. In my case, the ebook(s) is being offered for $4.79. So, my cut will be 14 cents a download. Woe is me.

And even worse, most of us who published with Harlequin/Silhouette will probably never be able to get back our rights.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Ugh, that's awful.  But you're right-- once they're back "in print," you probably can't get the rights back.  My sympathies.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Even *Amazon affiliates* get a minimum of 4%! So someone who didn't write the book can put up a link with their affiliate account number in it and make more money than the author when it sells.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmmm...
This may explain why my request for a reversion of rights 11 months ago has received NO response. 
Can you say SLEEEEZY.....?

On the other hand, I guess we all knew they were snakes when we picked them up  :(

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I hope you write more books. Many more books, and that you never give one right away to these vultures, ever again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
[Post content removed to protect my content and data because I do not agree to or accept VerticalScope's new Terms of Service. I hereby reject said terms and retain all copyrights to my information and content.

I disavow any association with the new ads that now exist that may be tasteless, racist, demeaning to women, sexist, or exploitative in any way.]

·
Registered
982 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
That is truly appalling. I hope you sell 100K.
This is the problem. With HQ/Sil's arrangement, even if she sells 100k units, she'd only make about $14k. That's not enough to live on for a year, and it sounds like they've tied up her rights in perpetuity.

Shameful.

I also hope you write more books and publish them yourself, or through other, more advantageous publishing routes. :(

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Okay, yes, it should be more, and harlequin should pay better, but isn't 3% better than nothing?  I ask out of ignorance, but are you getting anything for this book currently?  If not, then take whatever you get as a bonus and sell your new stuff without harlequin. 

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
scarlet said:
Okay, yes, it should be more, and harlequin should pay better, but isn't 3% better than nothing? I ask out of ignorance, but are you getting anything for this book currently? If not, then take whatever you get as a bonus and sell your new stuff without harlequin.
Getting nothing from Harlequin, but getting the rights back, would be much better. IMO, this deal is similar to being an indentured servant.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It is shameful, but a contract is a contract. I've done a lot of work for hire writing where my writing has been resold and I didn't see even three percent -- I got zero. But it's what I agreed to.

I am sympathetic. This sucks. Better to move on and write new fiction and forget about it.

And I hope this makes it harder for Harlequin to recruit new writers.

G

·
I'm joining Kindle Readers Against Harlequin

Sorry that their authors will be hurt if they sell or if they don't sell.

And you know Harlequin will hold up their tiny royalties for 60 to 90 days after the month of sale.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts