Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've seen one of those Sony e-readers at Target. Was disappointed by the price point between it and the Kindle, but realized I would have chose the Kindle anyway. I don't the Sony version at all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lack of (free) wireless connectivity is the real dealbreaker for me.  It's the reason Amazon is going to crush the competition.  That and selection.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I swear, some of the people that write these articles are just plain stupid. He's complaining about paying $10/mo for a newspaper subscription. Um, yoo-hoo? What does a paper subscription cost? And then in the last paragraph, he says the Kindle is "flawed." Huh?

Kindle envy, that's what I call it!

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
This eSlick reader, according to what I have read, only does text files and PDFs. I think the extra $100 is worth it for the Kindle for access to the Amazon e-books and Whispernet.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  :) Our Kindle is the Rolls Royce of the electronic books!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Competition doesn't bother me at all.  It just means there will be more and more books available for us in the future.  It someone can't see that the Kindle is the superior ebook reader that's their loss not mine.  Better book selection and lower book prices is what sold me.  Whispernet is an added plus but I have lived in areas where it's not available.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Well, if they do eventually add the bells and whistles that we already get with the Kindle, then it may be worth looking at later on, but I am perfectly happy with what I have now even if there are those out there that think it is *flawed.*  :D :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
This seems a little misleading, "automatic newspaper delivery to a Kindle costs at least $10 per month--each. Blogs cost $1 to $2 per month--each. At least with the eSlick, you don't have to email your own documents to yourself, as you must with the Kindle. "
The newspaper and blog subscriptions themselves is what costs the money, not the wireless delivery. He makes it sound like $10 a month for a newspaper is ludicrous, whereas it's rather reasonable.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I never looked at anything else., just the Kindle. I'm very happy with it .  I don't have to worry about going to stores for books or forgetting my books at home.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Micdiddy said:
This seems a little misleading, "automatic newspaper delivery to a Kindle costs at least $10 per month--each. Blogs cost $1 to $2 per month--each. At least with the eSlick, you don't have to email your own documents to yourself, as you must with the Kindle. "
The newspaper and blog subscriptions themselves is what costs the money, not the wireless delivery. He makes it sound like $10 a month for a newspaper is ludicrous, whereas it's rather reasonable.
The newspaper delivery is the best as far as I'm concerned. I'm reading much more of the Post than I ever did before. And it is much less expensive than a full print subscription. Of course you don't get the adds or box scores or comics. . . .still totally worth it, IMO.

I question if the fellow really used a Kindle. . .there is no requirement to "e-mail your own documents to yourself"; it's an option along with the cable and an incredibly convenient one.

Oh, well.

Ann

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can't even comprehend why any company would make yet another book reader without wireless.

I'll admit that I spent about a week deciding between the Sony and the Kindle, thinking the wireless was probably frivolous.  But I decided to spring for the top of the line, which in my mind was the Kindle.

Now that I have the Kindle, I see how valuable the wireless is.  If Amazon ever has enough Kindle inventory to need advertising, they should just give some people a Sony for a week and then a Kindle for a week (both with a few newspaper subscriptions and an account with some money to buy ebooks), then see what they say.  I simply can't imagine preferring the Sony.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I prefer my Kindle thanks. It does everything I want and I love the wireless feature. I think any other ereader without that option  I would not even look at.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Obviously doesn't realize that you can simply convert files yourself and download them to the kindle w/out emailing them.  But then again it's not like emailing them to yourself isn't that big of a deal anyway.  1/2 the price but at the same time 1/2 the features.  No real competition.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I think it's great that there is a no-frills version available for a cheaper price.  Quite frankly, I think that amazon should put out a bare-bones Kindle at the $200-250 price point.  That would pick up a lot of those who are hesitant about the high price, and they would still have access to amazon's vast library.  My concern about getting this eSlick would definitely be where to find content, and at what price.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
The reviewer mentions in passing that the Kindle is "flawed" but doesn't say what the flaws are.  That's poor reporting. 

I'll keep my Little Gertie, thank you very much.  She does everything I need her to do and I haven't even begun to explore all her many features. 

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Only 2 things matter in the ebook horse race, wireless downloading and large availability of books. I expect sooner or later everyone will have wireless (or they will not succeed). I hope they will battle over who has the best collection of books. I love my Kindle, but if someone has a better reader and a better bookstore, I would switch. I assume that someone would figure out how to convert .awz books to the new format. Having said all of this, I think Amazon is too big and well connected book-wise to let anyone beat them.

Steve

·
Registered
433 Posts
And don't forget what else comes with the Kindle besides Whispernet....All of us!!!! Yea Kindleboards!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts