Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
You think he was looking at the USB port and thought it could be used for expansion? Could it be used with a flash drive?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I am still curious about the flash drive. Would either Kindle see it as memory?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
intinst said:
I am still curious about the flash drive. Would either Kindle see it as memory?
I think the USB port is smaller than the ones on computers. Therefore, a flash drive won't fit in the Kindle.

My dad, however, uses a flash drive from his computer to back up all of his books.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
mwvickers said:
I think the USB port is smaller than the ones on computers. Therefore, a flash drive won't fit in the Kindle.

My dad, however, uses a flash drive from his computer to back up all of his books.
Good point on the USB port, I forgot what size the Kindle was. What about with an adapter cable.?

·
Registered
182 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
The operating system (Linux) would have to be set up to enable use of an external flash drive, and I seriously doubt that they would bother. USB works fine for moving stuff back and forth.
Depending on how much change they've done, it will just happen and work. They would have to actively de-activate it. It is certainly worth a try. I'll have to check that video out too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
He just mentioned you can expand the memory.  He showed the mini-USB port but that was just showing the bottom of the device.  I don't have a mini to A connector at this time so wouldn't be able to check it out when my Kindle 2 gets here.  Perhaps someone does, and I'd probably look in to getting one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wouldnt put too much into what that guy said. He also stated that amazon has much improved the case that comes with it lol. I guess he thinks no case is better than the orignal case.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Benjamin said:
I wouldnt put too much into what that guy said. He also stated that amazon has much improved the case that comes with it lol. I guess he thinks no case is better than the orignal case.
It still would be interesting to see if the Kindle 2 recognizes a USB drive if plugged in to the miniUSB port. If it is truly a USB port to the computer and they didn't go actively muck with the Linux kernel, it is possible you will see it as a drive. Of course, I may be wrong. Won't know until I get my hands on my Kindle 2.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unless the "case" refers to the outside of the Kindle, i.e., that which contains the internal workings of the Kindle.  

If that is the case, it looks sturdier, though only time will tell if it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts