Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a novella - 31K words - yeah, people said it was too short until I upped it from 25K and dropped the price to .99 - whatevah.. not my question. I guess I don't have the knack of selling short. As an aside, I think I could have ducked a lot of this if I had book 2 ready to resolve the abrupt cliffhanger - but I didn't - so I made it less abrupt and added an extra chapter in the middle to explain a relationship. I'm learning to give more.

Anyway, I want to add a full-length novel as a second in the series (at least 70K I guess). Yes, there is a point to the second book because the 1st one sets up a goal for the heroine and her people.

1. How much does the 2nd book have to be stand-alone without needing the novella that sets up the story? I can see weaving the main points of the first point back on but that could be boring for people who read the novella.

2. Would anybody package the novella in or free with the 2nd point to:
      a> eliminate the need for so much back tracking and
      b> up word count?
  I guess that seems a little dodgy to me, but is anybody else doing it? I saw somebody else ask about it but the question was not answered.

3> The third option is just to turn the novella into a full novel by adding book 2 into that, but I've been reading about the advantages of having a series and i wanted to jump on the train.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you are doing a series about 30k then the next book should be around the same. But it depends on the story you want to tell and how much is in it. I know once you start to write it can go on, so I think the best thing would be to have book one and two together, make a novel about nearly 100k and then move to book two. It could just turn into a normal novel.

You could always do it like this, split the story up into parts, eg 20k words, price it at 99c or 50p each then once the series is complete, package it all into one big novel that can be downloaded for a normal price.

But at the end of the day, its just an idea.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Readers might not have been talking about word count when they said it was too short--if the story ended on a cliffhanger, they may have just meant that the story felt incomplete, as if they were missing part of the story. Too short story-wise, not length-wise. Especially if the cliffhanger was "abrupt"! I've read those kinds of stories before and thought maybe the end got accidentally left off.

I would chop it up into three novellas. You can sell them individually and then put them together in an omnibus/boxed set.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If the first novella is all setup for the goal of the second book then, to me, it sounds like you actually only have 1 book but the first 30,000 words are off on their own right now. Does the first book have a discernable arc (beginning, middle, end) and a goal that is achieved within it? If not, you might want to combine the two works into one and then write 2 more to make it a trilogy. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree about making sure you have a full arc in the novella.
My best idea for a plan of attack, would be to release the novel and then the prequel novella afterwards.
The lower price will give you a better chance for promotions, plus fans will love it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lizbooks said:
Readers might not have been talking about word count when they said it was too short--if the story ended on a cliffhanger, they may have just meant that the story felt incomplete, as if they were missing part of the story. Too short story-wise, not length-wise. Especially if the cliffhanger was "abrupt"! I've read those kinds of stories before and thought maybe the end got accidentally left off.

I would chop it up into three novellas. You can sell them individually and then put them together in an omnibus/boxed set.
Thanks for the great advice. Yes, I agree the ending was too abrupt. When I took a break from it, and then re-read it to add more, it even felt abrupt to me. I think maybe you guys that are suggesting I need to add book 2 to 1 to make an entire novel are painfully right. Darn it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Lizbooks said:

I like this idea.

Or you could do the 'episode' thing where each 30k novella is an episode (ending on a cliffhanger) and then bundle them after 3 or 4. But you'd have to make it clear in the blurb what the reader should expect.

I think whichever way you go, as long as the reader knows up front what they are buying, then you shouldn't have a problem. Saying that though, you could put it in 50 point bold and some people still won't get it ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts