Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my usual perusal of all things SF in Amazon's Kindle listings I found these newly listed works...

I am extremely pleased to see more classic SF making its inexorable (I hope :) ) way to Kindle.

- Walter...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they are illegal. They're really lazy and shoddy productions - no cover or TOC, fonts that change for no reason, etc.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I didn't realize that Ray Bradbury was still alive!  According to the article, he's 89.  Guess being that old, he can't appreciate new things.

·
Super Moderator
67,292 Posts
mlewis78 said:
I didn't realize that Ray Bradbury was still alive! According to the article, he's 89. Guess being that old, he can't appreciate new things.
That's a kind of an agist comment! :D

·
Super Moderator
67,292 Posts
Oh yeah. . . .anyone can take the book and scan it or re-type it and publish it themselves.  A couple of Harry Potter's were listed last fall. . . . .they didn't last long.  Amazon can't police everything as it's uploaded, but they will act to take 'em down when they learn they are not authorized.

And for authors who are notorious for not being available in e-format, Amazon makes a big deal when they do come around.  Happened with Grisham earlier this year.  I'd put Bradbury and Rand down as authors that Amazon would make a big deal about if the editions were legitimate.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
mlewis78 said:
I didn't realize that Ray Bradbury was still alive! According to the article, he's 89. Guess being that old, he can't appreciate new things.
I appreciate new things, even new old antiques. Maybe in another 12 years though I will change. ;D

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
That'll teach me to read the whole thread before buying. I got all 4 because I like Bradbury. I'll report any weird formatting in the weird formatting thread.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
That's a kind of an agist comment! :D
Well, that was my reaction to the article. I'm not young! Should I have said that his attitude does not have anything to do with his age? Not all 89 yr. olds share his opinion about kindle and many would likely appreciate it more than small-print books. I really didn't know that he was still alive. I read some of his books way back when.

I'm not convinced that these ebooks are pirated. That's speculation. (Perhaps but not certainly.)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
WalterK said:
During my usual perusal of all things SF in Amazon's Kindle listings I found these newly listed works...

I am extremely pleased to see more classic SF making its inexorable (I hope :) ) way to Kindle.

- Walter...
I loved Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles - two of my all-time favorites. I must admit I always had a hard time getting through Dandelion Wine. A personal defect, I am sure :)

Elmore

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I downloaded a sample of Fahrenheit 451. It was weird.... The first page looked OK, then beyond that it was obviously a Topaz format, and it looked awful.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
And for authors who are notorious for not being available in e-format, Amazon makes a big deal when they do come around. Happened with Grisham earlier this year.
Do you mean Tom Clancy? Because as far as I can tell, Grisham still isn't out on Kindle (despite repeated comments earlier this year that ebooks were coming). Just didn't want to get anyone's hopes up if you meant someone else... :D

(Sorry to ding you in both threads, but wanted to make sure you saw it and if necessary fixed it both places. :))

·
Super Moderator
67,292 Posts
Clancy was the other one who was a hold out. . . .I hadn't looked but I thought someone had posted here a while ago that Grisham was available now.  I'd read them all before in paper anyway and didn't have any real desire to read an e-book so never looked close.  But yeah, Clancy and Grisham were the two hold outs. . . .sounds like maybe Grisham still is, or else his publishers are just having trouble getting their rears in gear.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
The Bradbury formatting is mostly in courier, which is disconcerting. Glad they were cheap, but I don;t know if they were pirated. If Amazon determines that they were uploaded against the law, does that make all our downloads of copies contraband? Will the police confiscate my DX, becuase if I go to jail, I want my Kindle there, because the prison library will be of so hand-me-down.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I downloaded the sample for The Martian Chronicles, a favorite book of mine, and it was such a formatting mess, I ended up deleting it without reading very much. I'd be inclined to agree that this is an illegal version. The price also seemed too low -  $1.99 for well known books by a well known author. I also have read a few interviews/articles in which Ray Bradbury indicated his strong dislike of eBooks. (Still hoping he'll come around though.)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I looked at the Bradbury and the other books 'published' by Synergy House Publications.  They are all major name authors and pretty cheap.  I googled Synergy and didn't come up with any good results.

I'm guessing something is rotten ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts