Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past 5 months I sold one copy of one book on B&N, but I switched to Pubit a few days ago and now all of a sudden I'm getting a few sales there a day...

Has anyone else gotten more sales by going direct to B&N through Pubit rather than through a distributor?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I've always gone direct through Pubit! but this last week I've seen a spike in sales over there. Trying not to do anything to jinx it or scare it away.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
BN's got decent visibility for new releases. I'm betting you've got better categorization publishing direct than you did through your distributor, too. Both those things should help get it in front of potential buyers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edward W. Robertson said:
BN's got decent visibility for new releases. I'm betting you've got better categorization publishing direct than you did through your distributor, too. Both those things should help get it in front of potential buyers.
This is what I was thinking as well. Whatever it is, I'm hoping it lasts!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
It's a new release thing, I think, and probably won't last. Overall, sales direct and sales through a distributor are usually going to be about the same.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've been going direct since the beginning. For the few three months things were completely stagnate there. But in the past two months my sales have seen a nice uptick at B&N, to the point where I check it every day as opposed to when I feel like it, lol.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I do great with PubIt, and have for a long time. It could be that erotic romance does well there *shrugs*.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
My erotica doesn't sell there at all.
I've been on PubIt for quite a while, and selling steadily for most of that time, so the algos may simply favor my older books due to longevity. I honestly don't know how the algos work on B&N. I've also found that my newer m/m romance does adequately there.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Since I first began self-publishing in 2011, I have had zero sales on Pubit, or B&N via Smashwords, on any of my titles.  My Amazon sales continue to do really well.  I can't explain this, unless it's that most readers are finding my stuff via Amazon's recommendation algorithms.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I've started to sell over there with SF. I'd say their algos a little more rank-driven than Amazon, but your sales rank doesn't decay quite as fast--although there are some definite cliffs built into it. You'd think this would lead to nothing but swift and irreversible downward spirals, but as long as you don't fall away too fast, they seem to do an all right job providing plateaus.. their alsobots seem like they might be kinda effective, and they almost certainly have email recommendations or something.

Also, either they have a lot of reporting delays, or day to day sales are much more inconsistent than Amazon. As long as you're not running into a cliff, Amazon's pretty steady day to day, but BN can take wild swings--sell 50 one day, 20 the next, assume it's all over, but then the next day it's up to 40. But some people just seem to go on selling one month after the next, so maybe it's steadier than it feels.

When you're not selling there, it feels like a hopeless wasteland, but it's a big market, and every genre sells there. If erotica and romance have traditionally had the easiest time getting started, I bet that's because their fans are more prone to hunt down the specific stuff they want. With other genres, you have to work harder to get your stuff in front of readers--permafree, regular new releases, sales, advertising, whatever--but it's certainly not impossible. We just have fewer tools than we do at Amazon, and fewer people breaking down how to do it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think things on B&N in general are looking up. I can't go direct, so I use D2D, and I've been getting some pretty steady sales since February. My erotica is doing well over there. It will be interesting to see how things progress when I release a more commercial title next month.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a very steep spike the first time I uploaded the book to Pubit. It went real well for a few months. They might have something in their algorithm that favors new books. 

1 - 17 of 17 Posts