Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family is going camping this weekend and I wanted to rent a few movies, comedy or drama that is family oriented enough for DS11 and DS 8, PG13 at most.  (This is assuming that I can tear myself away from my Kindle long enough to actually watch a movie, of course!)  Any recommendations?

Dawn

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
the Tim Allen movie RV is not the greatest but it was fun and it fits into the theme

·
Registered
388 Posts
rho said:
the Tim Allen movie RV is not the greatest but it was fun and it fits into the theme
I thought that was with Robin Williams?

I also heard it was awful, which is why I've never seen it!

If you've never seen 'Indian in the Cupboard', I loved it and I'm an adult. My nephew loved it, he's 8.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You might check these out:

Second Hand Lions

Rare Birds (one scene w. drug use)

The Princess Bride

Mr. Hulot's Holiday (French Charlie Chaplin, little dialogue, many sight gags)

The Fugitive (some cussing; fast action)

The Secret Garden

A Little Princess

The Iron Giant

A Christmas Story

Whale Rider

·
Registered
388 Posts
Another new favorite of mine is 'The Sandlot', a recommendation from above mentioned nephew.  Not at all what I expected.

And I second 'The Princess Bride', it's one of my favorite movies ever.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I completely second Iron Giant.  I love that movie, expect some crying at the end (it's all okay, I promise).

Alvin & the Chipmunks (not that annoying, promise)
Wall-E (an instant classic)
Night at the Museum
Back to the Future
Babe
George of the Jungle
The Cat from Outer Space
The Journey of Natty Gann
Stuart Little
Paulie

Lara Amber

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Sandlot looks great, RangerXenos, like Christmas Story for the summer. I'll get it.

Just started Smoke Signals, and I think it's safe to recommend. It's about a couple American Indian kids, probably starting on a journey of self-knowledge. It's gentle and sort of funny and written from a native American point of view rather than a Hollywood hack writer. I like it so far.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Oh! I forgot! The World's Fastest Indian would be excellent! True story, mostly. An elderly Australian man befriends a young kid. He (the old guy) wants to set a land speed record for his ancient Indian motorcycle before he dies, at Salt Flats, Utah.
He does.
He's a great guy and has all sorts of neat, random encounters. Kids would love this, and so would adults.

·
Registered
378 Posts
How about Beverly Hills Chihuahua...kids in my family like that one.  I would also suggest the Parent Trap (old or new if they haven't seen it) both are good girl movies.  Theres also the Ugly Dachshund (about a Great Dane who thinks he's a Dachshund)... ummm Flubber would work, Tom & Huck with Johnathan Taylor Thomas was a good one... The Big Green, Heavy Weights, First Kid, Flight of the Navigator, Anything Herbie, Man of the house.

OK so I have a thing for Disney videos.  What can I say?  But there are many older ones out there that are ideal for Kids the ages of your girls and unfortunately they are often forgotten.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Any of the old Don Knotts movies are family friendly with guaranteed laughs. I just bought The Incredible Mr. Limpet for my 10 year old grandson, and he loved it. The Apple Dumpling Gang with Knotts and Tim Conway is another favorite.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
The Brave Little Toaster.

Yes, sounds cheesy, but it's really a pretty cool movie. Animated. My son loved it so much as a kid that he wore the tape out watching it. Not sure you can get it as a rental, but you can buy it from Amazon.

Apparently there are sequels as well. . . .haven't seen any of those.

Ann

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
BrassMan said:
Oh! I forgot! The World's Fastest Indian would be excellent! True story, mostly. An elderly Australian man befriends a young kid. He (the old guy) wants to set a land speed record for his ancient Indian motorcycle before he dies, at Salt Flats, Utah.
He does.
He's a great guy and has all sorts of neat, random encounters. Kids would love this, and so would adults.
Superb movie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts