Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will confess not knowing much about John Carter or the Barsoom series from Burroughs. I think this movie trailer looks interesting and it is making me curious about reading the books.

Anyway, just thought I would post for any of you who are fans of the books.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I got an entire Edgar Rice Burroughs omnibus for $4, about 100 stories!

As for John Carter (the movie), given that the lead female, presumably Dejah Thoris, is clothed, they are already showing total disrespect towards the source material :p

But seriously, I have grave reservations. the quick glimpse of a green martian looked pretty cartoony, the air ships are way more mechanical and futuristic than I imagined (this would have been a great chance to hire some steampunk designers). The trailer is nigh incomprehensible, they seem to be deliberately obscuring where he is (is he on Mars in this film?). I'm assuming the plot is the typical rescue mission one, I wonder how much screen time the Tharks will get. Pixar is probably the best at this stuff, hopefully they will be able to get quality emotion from the CGI martians. I was really disappointed with the way "Super 8" went with their creature and its backstory/intent, hopefully Pixar will use facial emotional displays and body language instead of verbal exposition.

It will be nice if this film can capture the swashbuckling flair of Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Mummy. So many films these days seem to get bogged down in the effects.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
And here I've just barely got the bad taste out of my mouth from the last John Carter movie, A Princess of Mars (2009).

Antonio Sabàto, Jr. wasn't John Carter, and Traci Lords sure as heck wasn't Dejah Thoris. :( :(

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
jmiked said:
And here I've just barely got the bad taste out of my mouth from the last John Carter movie, A Princess of Mars (2009).

Antonio Sabàto, Jr. wasn't John Carter, and Traci Lords sure as heck wasn't Dejah Thoris. :( :(

Mike
I wasn't even aware the 2009 movie had come out, and I loved those books! And why is Dejah Thoris wearing clothes?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
lauragill said:
I wasn't even aware the 2009 movie had come out, and I loved those books! And why is Dejah Thoris wearing clothes?
TV movie. I think it was one of those things that SyFy picks up by the dozen. They must easily have a budget of $100 each. And the producer's nephew writes them (if it can be called writing) as a school project.

Mike

·
Registered
993 Posts
jmiked said:

It's got to be better than the SyFy version. I look forward to seeing how they will turn Burrough's Kiplingesque-"White Man's Burden" hero into a politically correct hero for the 21st century, a la Avatar, but since Disney previously did that with Tarzan, I do not doubt their mojo.

I wonder why they called it John Carter rather than A Princess of Mars. Did that SyFy movie smear the name forever?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tara Maya said:
It's got to be better than the SyFy version. I look forward to seeing how they will turn Burrough's Kiplingesque-"White Man's Burden" hero into a politically correct hero for the 21st century, a la Avatar, but since Disney previously did that with Tarzan, I do not doubt their mojo.

I wonder why they called it John Carter rather than A Princess of Mars. Did that SyFy movie smear the name forever?
Disney screenwriters might have cobbled together various elements from all the novels for their movie, so it really isn't A Princess of Mars anymore. Or they might have done some focus group, and decided "John Carter" marketed better.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I saw the trailer earlier today and it does look pretty cool. Never read the books though. Disney seems to do great with live action movies like these, so I'll check it out. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Cautiously, cautiously optimistic.  Although yes, not enough naked!Carter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts