Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently bought a K2, and have been really enjoying it.  My mother in law also has a K2.  Prior to our K2 days, we would share books.  It appears now the only way to share K2 books is to be on the same account.  My question is this, if she wants to read one of my books, can I register on my account, let her read the book then have her unregister from my account and go back to her own account.  I realize while she is on my account she will lose access to any and all of her account books, but want to know if there is any problems to doing this.  Can we frequently move our kindles between accounts as we share books?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It will work the way you described it. I wouldn't be surprised it Amazon does not allow this at some point in the future.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Just remember:  if you delete a book that got to your Kindle while it was registered at the other account, you can't get it back. . .until you put it on that account again.

As to the ethics of it. . . .that's for you to decide.  I, personally, would not be comfortable it, but I can accept that someone else might be able to ethically reach a different conclusion, so please understand I am TOTALLY NOT making any judgments here.  I've actually had this discussion with my brother and we decided that if he gets a Kindle ('cause he'd get mine if I get a new one') we'll either share my account or have our separate accounts.  If we share, we can share books. If not, he's going to have to buy his own copies.  We do have an overlap in tastes. . .both like Grisham and those types of political/legal thriller books. . .but there's a wide divergence too.  He's way more into horror and creepiness and I am much more likely to read other mystery, sci fi, fantasy, and historical fiction. 

Ann

edit:  Sorry, I should add that if we ultimately decide to share the account we'll have to put some policy in place so that he doesn't run up my bill.  :)  I believe more than one CC can be entered so we could each buy with our own cards, or we could use a gift certificate system so that we don't go over budget.  That is still to be worked out. . . . :)

Ann

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think ethically speaking this is a fine line.  The fact is if we bought the hard copy of the book, I would be able to lend it to her.  Amazon lets you share amongst 6 kindles if they are on the same account, which tells me that they feel people should be able to share books among family - as they make an assumption family members would share an account.

If I am willing to go through the inconvenience of moving my Kindle to her account or vice versa and temporarily losing the book I had on my account this should be ok - that is my justification anyways.  Some may disagree.  The fact is Amazon is selling a lot more books thanks to the kindle and I have made a $400 investment and I should not be limited in how I trade or use books just because it is in a kindle format. 

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't see any ethics problem here.  Of course kbooks can be shared between at least two Kindles. 

For convenes sake you may want to establish one account for both K2s.  Assuming your Credit Card is on the account.  Set up paypal accounts and have your MIL reimburse you for any purchase she makes.  You should reimburse her, via paypal for kbooks she purchased that you decide to read.  Easier than registering/unregistering, I feel.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
You can share an account and have multiple credit cards on it. My daughter and I share an account and when we want to buy a book, we just go to the Manage Your Kindle page and select our own credit card. That way we never have to worry about registering and unregistering our Kindles. I think that you will take a chance of loosing books by registering and unregistering Kindles and I think that Amazon will tighten up what is probably a loophole to the system in the future. I agree with Ann, I would not be comfortable doing this, but I respect each persons' right to decide on their own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts