Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 I need help!

Whats a good cheap MP3 player just to be used at the gym?  I plan to listen to audio books not music. I tried using my kindle but its not safe for it there.

Tessa

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
tessa said:
I need help!

Whats a good cheap MP3 player just to be used at the gym? I plan to listen to audio books not music. I tried using my kindle but its not safe for it there.

Tessa
Watch Woot (www.woot.com)

Quite often they have any number of different Sansa models (and others) show up as refurbs real cheap. I've had good luck with the ones I've gotten from there. Some have been used personally, some as give aways to friends/family, still others as toss-in for packages going overseas to the troops.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have a Sansa that I really like for portable uses.  I got my mom, my sister, and my two youngest Sansa MP3 players.  They all are very pleased.  My son runs with his and really likes it for that that purpose. 
deb

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The first thing you need to know before looking at players if what file types will you be using, so you can make sure the player is compatible. Audio books come in multiple file types. Unless you are ripping them yourself from audiobook cd's, then you can choose what you want to rip it into.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Rasputina, I was not aware of that.  I'm glad you said that.  I've been wanting to get some audio books and I would not have thought of checking into compatibility.
deb

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
emusic sells theirs as mp3, iTunes uses aac and audible has multiple file types you can check http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/deviceCenter/devices.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

The ipods are compatible with all those, not sure about any other devices. And if you use the drop down menu on the link it lists which of audibles file types work with the different Kindle models. It says K1 can use audible files 2,3,4 K2 4, E and DX 4, E

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The red SanDisk Sansa is pretty good

SanDisk is not too expensive and not too cheap. They will work well for what you need it for

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Tip10 said:
Watch Woot (www.woot.com)

Quite often they have any number of different Sansa models (and others) show up as refurbs real cheap. I've had good luck with the ones I've gotten from there. Some have been used personally, some as give aways to friends/family, still others as toss-in for packages going overseas to the troops.
If you are wanting an mp3 player for audiobooks - watch out for 2 very important features: bookmarks and the FF/RW function.
About a year ago I 'needed' a new player & I almost only listen to audio books. I thought I had found a good Samsung.
Well it's bookmark feature were great, but it's FF/RW sucked bigtime. It wouldn't FF or RW reliably. It wouldn't have mattered so much for music, but when I was trying to RW to re-listen to a passage I had not paid enough attention to (or someone spoke to me while I was listening & missed the book), the RW function was very important.

I found a good place for reviews at: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/reviews/

The thing about ipods used to be that my library's Overdrive Media would not work with ipods. They've changed that now and have some of the books available in mp3 format instead of just wma, so now some of the books can be loaded onto ipods.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I highly recommend the SanDisk Sansa Clip or Fuze (I have both). If you're a Costco member this months (6/15/09 - 7/5/09) coupon book has a 2gb Fuze for $20 off. It has its own section for Audiobooks, plays overdrive and also you can send videos to it if you wish. Its also MicroSD expandable and has a fm radio.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
DawnOfChaos said:
I highly recommend the SanDisk Sansa Clip or Fuze (I have both). If you're a Costco member this months (6/15/09 - 7/5/09) coupon book has a 2gb Fuze for $20 off. It has its own section for Audiobooks, plays overdrive and also you can send videos to it if you wish. Its also MicroSD expandable and has a fm radio.
I think http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/reviews/ has good reviews of these mp3 players

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Woot has refurbed Sandisk Clips (2GB) for $14.99 + S&H today

Don't know how they'd work for books but if you are looking for a cheap workout MP3 player might be a possibility.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I like that my Sansa lets me get FM radio.  That's something my Ipod doesn't offer. 
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,495 Posts
Tip10 said:
Woot has refurbed Sandisk Clips (2GB) for $14.99 + S&H today

Don't know how they'd work for books but if you are looking for a cheap workout MP3 player might be a possibility.
Wow! If I had ANY interest in an MP3 player I think I'd go for it.

drenee said:
I like that my Sansa lets me get FM radio. That's something my Ipod doesn't offer.
deb
My son got a Creative Zen for that reason.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone My DH got me a SanDisk sansa fuze with a SD card. (He said he didn't want to hear me ask questions to every young kid we meet, so he bought it with the sd card because my Kindle 1 has one)

It took me 6 hours to get the thing loaded it didn't come with a manual (I hope I remember how I did it).

Thanks again

Tessa

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
For some reason the some of them don't, it is weird

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
tessa said:
Thanks everyone My DH got me a SanDisk sansa fuze with a SD card. (He said he didn't want to hear me ask questions to every young kid we meet, so he bought it with the sd card because my Kindle 1 has one)

It took me 6 hours to get the thing loaded it didn't come with a manual (I hope I remember how I did it).

Thanks again

Tessa
You can get most any of the Sansa manuals in pdf form from the sansa site -- for some of the older stuff you have to hunt a bit but they are there.

Here's a link to the FUZE manual: http://www.sansa.com/sites/default/files/downloads/FUZE_UM_0608_ENG.pdf

1 - 20 of 27 Posts