Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By now most of us have seen the photos of the much-rumored Kindle 2.0 posted online.  How many of you actually believe this will be the next generation design?  If so, why would the keyboard area be so large, the reading display area not be larger, and why is there a rather significant amount of apparently wasted space between the keyboard and the reading display?  If it's really the second generation design, why would the Kindle be larger if the reading display area itself isn't measurably larger?  I can't see Amazon redesigning it like this.  Am I the only one who thinks the Kindle 2.0 photos look bizarre?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libro said:
By now most of us have seen the photos of the much-rumored Kindle 2.0 posted online. How many of you actually believe this will be the next generation design? If so, why would the keyboard area be so large, the reading display area not be larger, and why is there a rather significant amount of apparently wasted space between the keyboard and the reading display? If it's really the second generation design, why would the Kindle be larger if the reading display area itself isn't measurably larger? I can't see Amazon redesigning it like this. Am I the only one who thinks the Kindle 2.0 photos look bizarre?
I completely believe they are fakes. Some theorize that they are pictures of a very early version 1 prototype.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Leslie -- Is one of the (perhaps many) reasons you think the pics are fake because of some of the things I mentioned in my post?  Doesn't the design seem backwards and/or rather useless to you, i.e. not progressive?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
There's a worst feature of the iPod??  :eek: :eek:

Other than a non-user replaceable battery, of course.  ;D

As far as the photos of the alleged Kindle 2.0, there's no evidence that it is or is not the next model. So I ignore it.

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
I donno, my gut feeling is telling me they aren't faked pics, though they totally could be an early prototype.  Which is one of the reasons why I decided to buy a Kindle now because I was not a fan of the pics at all.  I am hoping they will update the Kindle soonish because I want to get one for the husband and he hates the current design with a passion (his big mitts keep on hitting the turn page keys, while I seem not to have any issue with it at all).  

I love my Kindle, that being said I hope the next version is designed better, in function as well as in the looks department.  Though I don't want a new model to be any bigger then it currently is, but more storage space, a better design of the page buttons and the keypad (am I the only person who finds it uncomfortable to type on it?), a better way to organize and delete books (I am very annoyed that I cannot permanently get rid of books, they always show up in my content manager), and maybe making the device a little bit more polished in general... it definitely has a 1.0 feel too it, slow (but no where near as slow as the sony!), sometimes glitchy, could have a lighter background, and it could use a little bit of a facelift as well.  

That being said, I really honestly love my Kindle.  It's functional and does what I need it too, though if I could change a few things those above would be on my list.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Scathach you might be right.  There was a worse reaction to the Kindle I.  Early last year, around June 2007, the Kindle I pictures were leak and a lot of people did not believe it.  They felt it was clunky in comparison to Sony and butt ugly.  This was the same reader that Amazon released 5 months later with no changes.  Of course a lot of those fools changed their mind about the kindle I once it was released.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that something, even a slight hint, about K2 will be released next month at CES. That will a good place to announce something....not to mention Harvey is going to CES.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I know most people like to speculate, but I think this is ridiculous.  No one here has enough information about those pictures to make any type of intelligent guess. 

Some think it's an early gen 1 prototype.  Some think it means gen 2 is ready to release.  Nobody hear can make any assumptions about the pictures.  I think it's Santa Clause's portable naughty and nice list.  He can bring up pictures of all of us on the little monitor and then a big naughty or nice sign flashes across our foreheads.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If those pictures are correct I will never get one. The form factor is no longer like a paperback book. It is too tall and cumbersome.

Steve

·
Registered
157 Posts
I personally think speculation is kinda fun, it gets people talking about features they like and features they don't like about products.  Sometimes the companies listen, sometimes they don't but it does give a little bit of buzz about a product, ugh don't even get me started on speculations of Apple products lol.  And of course we can make assumptions about the "Kindle 2.0" pictures, but thats all it is assumptions, none of us really know except for the people in the know.  But it is kinda fun to chat about what we would like in a new Kindle I think :D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
stevene9 said:
If those pictures are correct I will never get one. The form factor is no longer like a paperback book. It is too tall and cumbersome.

Steve
I agree with Steve... besides, I think the photos are very bad photoshop mock-ups! :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone told me that Kindle 1.0 photos were leaked pre-release and met with a fair amount of criticism.  Once released, everyone was more than delighted.

Although this doesn't mean, by any means, that the Boy Genius photos are legitimate, I would be curious to know if it's true that the original Kindle had photo leaks before release.  My friend says he saw an article on the Internet with pictures, but can't find it now and either can I.  Does anyone remember?

Not that it matters, as I love Kindle 1.0 as well, but I'm simply curious.

·
Registered
180 Posts
libro said:
Someone told me that Kindle 1.0 photos were leaked pre-release and met with a fair amount of criticism. Once released, everyone was more than delighted.

Although this doesn't mean, by any means, that the Boy Genius photos are legitimate, I would be curious to know if it's true that the original Kindle had photo leaks before release. My friend says he saw an article on the Internet with pictures, but can't find it now and either can I. Does anyone remember?

Not that it matters, as I love Kindle 1.0 as well, but I'm simply curious.
You can do a search before November 2007 at mobileread forum in the news & commentary & Kindle section you'll find all the information. Beware it's not pretty, 90% of what was written pre-release was negative.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Fake:
Lots of wasted space
Oddly placed buttons
Not proportional
Screen looks too small for the unit
Many more:  If this is version two; glad I have version one!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sjc said:
Fake:
Lots of wasted space
Oddly placed buttons
Not proportional
Screen looks too small for the unit
Many more: If this is version two; glad I have version one!!
SJC -- I couldn't agree with you more. I'm crossing fingers and toes it is NOT Kindle 2.0. I would think Amazon had gone bonkers.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
SJC -- I couldn't agree with you more.
Will someone tell that to my husband...lol. Seriously, that is one piece of junk if that is v.2...though highly doubtful as this was discussed before when those pics/prototypes began to surface a bit ago.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts