Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
You need to get that all set up ahead of time and put it into a written contract.  Then you can hopefully stay friends and do what the written contract says.  Otherwise it is inevitable that there will be misunderstandings even when everyone has the best of intentions.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I can speak to my anthology. I acted as editor and publisher (more like a book packager, actually), meaning I solicited submissions, rejected A LOT, accepted a few and did extensive editing for the stories selected. I purchased the cover image, engaged a designer, and formatted and uploaded the book myself to Amazon, B&N and Smashwords.

I paid the authors a nominal advance and have a contract with them for paying prorated royalties based on the percentage of words they wrote that are in the book. It has 19 stories and 76,000 words. I handle all the finances and coordinate the promotions. I do take a 10% cut of the profits.

I'm also in the process of uploading the stories individually with a consistent cover design among all the stories and with front and back matter that points to the anthology. I'll be tracking sales for those as well since Amazon wants a single point of contact, but the authors will receive 100% of the royalties for their individual stories.

Others' experiences may be different, of course ;).

Speaking of promotion: All proceeds for the month of July from the sale of the Extinct anthology are being donated to the Save the Tasmanian Devil Appeal. None of the authors nor I will earn a dime during this campaign, but the little devils will profit!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scl said:
You need to get that all set up ahead of time and put it into a written contract. Then you can hopefully stay friends and do what the written contract says. Otherwise it is inevitable that there will be misunderstandings even when everyone has the best of intentions.
That's what I was afraid of.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What if you are planning a series and just alternate who publishes which part?  What kind of issues do you see arising?  Like I published part one, my co-author publishes part two, etc...

Yes, part one would make more money.  But if I paid for the cover art and worked on the advertising that would be fair, right?  Theoretically, all the other parts should be fairly even money...?

Am I way off the mark here...?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Phoenix Sullivan said:
I can speak to my anthology. I acted as editor and publisher (more like a book packager, actually), meaning I solicited submissions, rejected A LOT, accepted a few and did extensive editing for the stories selected. I purchased the cover image, engaged a designer, and formatted and uploaded the book myself to Amazon, B&N and Smashwords.
I'd say that is more a publisher than a book packager.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I'd say that is more a publisher than a book packager.
Well, a book packager often originates the idea, puts out the call for submissions, chooses and edits the works, oversees the cover art, then sells the package. Admittedly, the lines blur, but technically, the anthology was packaged rather than simply published. It just depends on how narrow a definition you use. I threw out both terms because I don't really care what it's called as long as people buy it ;).

@Alain: If you and your co-author are doing equal amounts of work writing-wise, what I would consider fair is that one of you handle the covers and publishing and finances. Overhead such as advertising costs, cover design and formatting come off the top and are reimbursed to whomever paid out of pocket for them (with the understanding there are no guarantees the work will earn back these costs!). The balance of the royalties for the total of every book then gets split evenly between you both.

If you or your co-author does the formatting or cover design, then agree on how much that work, as well as keeping track of the finances, is worth. Maybe $75-$100 total? Then that person gets reimbursed after ad costs and cover image licensing and THEN royalties get split.

If you alternate who does design and formatting, then keep track of outgo and income per each book and reimburse as necessary from those royalties.

That seems the fairest method to me. But you need to tallk to your co-author and figure out with them what they're comfortable with. Next time, get it all figured out beforehand (your 20/20 hindsight/obvious observation for the day :))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts