Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm revamping my website, and I'm looking for some examples of good writers' websites that feature multiple genres.  Anyone here in that situation?  I write romance and middle grade.  Yeah, real similar.  How do you guys handle one website for your different kinds of work?  Or do you have more than one website?  I was thinking of a landing page where the reader could choose to enter the children's fiction or adult's fiction site. 
I'd love anyone's thoughts/opinions/examples.  Thanks!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I don't write in different genres, but I write full books and short stories. I have created a seperate page on my blog for short stories.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I write very adult thrillers and YA fantasy. I haven't yet published the YA fantasy (though I have a collection of fantasy stories up), but I haven't really got much idea what I'm going to do with the website! I'm not sure I could cope with two separate sites, though I can see the advantage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If the subjects are as different as romance and middle grade, I'd go with 2 websites.  Are you really expecting any cross over between the two audiences?  Because there's no point in keeping them together if it's going to confuse the reader.

Personally, since my romances are hot, I'd want a lot of space between them and anything targeted to kids.

But I do write two genres, or close to it, and am redoing the website right now, so I can't show you exactly what we're doing.  I will post a link if it gets done today.

Most of my stuff is Regency historical romance, but I have one contemporary comedy thriller and one contemp rom com novella.  I also have a humor blog with very little historical info in it. 

My web mistress is going with an overall look that is reflective of my personality, more hip and cartoony than lush and romantic, keeping a similar banner but changing the graphics depending on the page.  For example, a lady's slipper for historical and a high heel for contemp.  The blog has among other things, a shaggy dog, and a cheese sculpture of two cats playing on a toilet.  My bio page has a library card catalog, a pulp novel and an owl.

We're basically creating my personal brand, and then grouping the books by type under it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I mostly write adult mystery novels and that's what I plan to specialize in for the future, however I do have two children's picture books that were published after I designed my web site and I also have a few upcoming YA novels. At first, I hired someone to do a separate web page for my picture book The Flag Keeper, in Dreamweaver as my whole web site was done in Dreamweaver, but then Dreamweaver became cumbersome to maintain and I switched the whole site over to Wordpress so I could update it myself.

I did keep the Flag Keeper Dreamweaver page, but I don't intend to do much updates to it anymore - instead, I created a much simpler picture book page on my Wordpress site. You can look at my home page http://stacyjuba.com/blog/ to explore what I did to keep the picture books a bit separate from my adult books. I changed my bio to say that although I specialize in adult mysteries and romantic suspense, I explore whatever ideas won't leave me alone and have written some YA and children's books as a result. Sometimes I'll say that I write books for the whole family - that I have some books for the parents, some for teens, and some for the younger kids in the family.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have 2 genres, but not so very different as what you're talking about - cozy mystery and western historical romance. I just plunked them both up there on the website and figure people will investigate what they're interested in. To my surprise I do get quite a bit of crossover reading. Readers will email me - I never read a romance before, but I liked your mystery so much.... or I don't usually read mysteries, but after reading your romances, I tried the mystery and liked it too. Of course I also see comments by readers of one genre or the other dismissing the book(s) that aren't their cup of tear. All in all I'm glad I didn't do pen names and try to keep things separate.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I write several genres. My three books in my signiture are Romantic Suspense, Historical Romantic Suspense and Gothic Erotica, lol. They all tap into different type of readers, but my site caters for them all. I use to split the books up into sections, but instead I place the books, information & reviews in one place and have the excerpts on a seperate page. So people can see your work on one page, but if they want to learn more they can go to an appropriate page for the genre of interest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.