Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:  If a writer plans to use multiple pen names, for multiple genres, does said writer need to create separate accounts in each pen name?  Or is there a publisher account option like in Smashwords?  Or will the Kindle dashboard automatically separate multiple pen names?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I started out intedning to do this, but it quickly proved to be more trouble than I thought it was worth. Every site is different, so ultimately it depends on how much effort you really want to put into it.

For example, at LibraryThing, they will allow you to use your own name plus one pen name which they link to your original account. It unfortunately turned out to be a LOT easier to have a separate account for each pen name. BTW - if you DO want to have a pen name, THEY have to link the two together. They don't have a way for you to do this yourself.

On Goodreads, I never could find a way to add pen names, so I had to create an account for the pen name. Then when I decided later to drop the pen name, I had a lot of trouble getting them to recognize me as the writer, even though the book cover had been changed and explicitly named me!

Smashwords does have a publisher's account that will allow you to add pen names together under one account. I'm not sure if they have a limit or not.

Amazon also allows you to create pen names and manage them all under one account. However, if you want to create a separate author's page for each one, it starts to get a bit trickier. Bottom line, it can be done for any of these sites, but it's up to you to decide how much time you want to spend keeping track of everything. I personally decided it wasn't worth it!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steven R. Drennon said:
Amazon also allows you to create pen names and manage them all under one account.
Great. That's what I wanted to hear. I'm only on one other site so far (Smashwords). Will my current dashboard separate the two pen names, or do I have to upgrade to a different type account?

·
Registered
411 Posts
On Amazon you can use as many pen names as you want. Each book that you list in your dashboard will ask you to identify the author's name. No matter how many different names you use there, they will all show up under the same dashboard. Not sure about how Smashwords handles it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hate to bump an old thread, but I'm interested if you were able to get a pen name with a separate author's page?  Steven mentioned it gets a bit trickier.  Did anyone manage to do it, while still managing to receive both cheques in your name and address?

I'm thinking of writing Romance, but don't want my children/Middle-grade readers to get those novels.  Any thoughts?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was able to do it with Amazon, but I had to contact them to get it worked out. Even then they informed me that they could only attach one author page to my original one. Basically, that meant only one pen name. With Smashwords you have to set yourself up as a publisher, and then list each of your pen names as clients. It can be done, but it was more work than I wanted to deal with.

Another alternative is to create a separate account for each pen name, but that becomes even more of a headache to keep us with. Good luck with whichever route you choose to take!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've sent in the question to both KDP and Smashwords, but figured I would ask here while I'm waiting.

If I open up an Amazon account under a pen name, how do I go about having them write the paycheck in my name?  I would imagine it would be hard convincing the bank I'm a woman :).

·
Registered
343 Posts
That link was excellent, thanks!

My last question would be if there's any worry in my accounts merging, or having my real name be visible.  Due to such extreme genre's I need my real name hidden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts