Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many times there are multiple versions of a book on Kindle.   For example, "A Christmas Carol" by Dickens has 4 different versions, ranging from $0.99 to $3.95.  Any guidelines for figuring out which to buy?  I guess samples are a good option.

Betsy

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think samples are the way to go. I've actually been meaning to buy one of those versions of A Christmas Carol but have been too lazy to look at all the samples yet :p

Let me know which version you decide on, if you do.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I noticed the same thing about the Dicken's 'Christmas Carol' and was confused too. I think I ended up sending myself a sample or two but haven't read them yet. I don't understand what the difference would be.

If you figure out the differences let us know! I'm not sure I've ever read it and would love to read it this Christmas.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
KindleGirl said:
I noticed the same thing about the Dicken's 'Christmas Carol' and was confused too. I think I ended up sending myself a sample or two but haven't read them yet. I don't understand what the difference would be.

If you figure out the differences let us know! I'm not sure I've ever read it and would love to read it this Christmas.
The reason you see so many versions of old classic works is that books and other documents that are in the public domain can be re-published by anyone. Although there's no guarantee that the contents of all duplicates are the same, it's likely. Usually the only difference is the formatting.

I suspect that there will be a flood of these when everyone realizes that there's an opportunity to make money selling on Amazon without actually creating anything.

Jeff

·
Registered
118 Posts
Greetings -- I notice that there may be different prices for Kindle Editions of the same title with apparent no difference except for publication date.  For instance, Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" has a 2004 Kindle edition and a 2006 Kindle edition with the same cover.  One sells at $1.60 and the other at $3.99.  What would be the difference?  Am I missiung something here?

ZU

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Perhaps they were released by different publishers? Publishers can charge whatever they like.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've noticed this too. Maybe download samples of both and compare?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Also, when things are in the public domain, anyone can re-publish it. So that's why you might see multiple editions, too.

There was another thread on this topic. I am going to see if I can find it and merge these two together.

EDIT: Okay, I found it, so this thread will be moving to the book corner.

Leslie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agreed on trying the samples first but even before that look for a free version.  Try mobileread.com for one.  I'd bet most of their free versions are at least as good if not better than the cheapie no name ones on Amazon.  There are some versions put out by the name publisers, e.g. Penguin, which do offer more than just the standard text, if that kind of thing interests you.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Buttercup said:
I ran into the same problem when looking at Alice in Wonderland, I solved the problem by getting at www.feedbooks.com for free and having it sent to my Kindle for $.10
Pretty much what I was going to say! Find the free version elsewhere, fix it up a little with MobiPublisher, and USB transfer ;D

·
Registered
201 Posts
For example, F. Scott Fitgerald's "This Side of Paradise" is listed in the Kindle store many times with price differences of .99, 3.99 (and possibly more, I didn't click on each one.  Why so many versions?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kindlek said:
For example, F. Scott Fitgerald's "This Side of Paradise" is listed in the Kindle store many times with price differences of .99, 3.99 (and possibly more, I didn't click on each one. Why so many versions?
Because when things are in the public domain, anyone can publish them. Your best bet is to download samples and compare. Some have lousy formatting, others have footnotes and annotations. You'll be able to see which version is right for you.

L

·
Registered
201 Posts
marianner said:
Kindlek, check out the Book Lovers' Links thread for places that you can get such books for free.
I'm aware of them. Was just curious about the multiple price thing, tks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
marianner said:
Kindlek, check out the Book Lovers' Links thread for places that you can get such books for free.
Not included in the Book Lovers' Links for some reason, is Mobileread.com and I'd like to put in a plug for Harry T's versions of all of Dickens books on that site, including, In Christmas Books, A Christmas Carol. All of the books have been formatted with care, including original illustrations for many of them. For Dickens lovers, also there relatively recently, is Forster's biography, which is newly available from Gutenberg. Absolutely recommended.

Jim

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
strether said:
Not included in the Book Lovers' Links for some reason, is Mobileread.com and I'd like to put in a plug for Harry T's versions of all of Dickens books on that site, including, In Christmas Books, A Christmas Carol. All of the books have been formatted with care, including original illustrations for many of them. For Dickens lovers, also there relatively recently, is Forster's biography, which is newly available from Gutenberg. Absolutely recommended.

Jim
Agreed. Harry does a very good job of formatting the books on Mobileread.com. It's generally my first stop on the freebies trail. I'm surprised also that it's not in the Book Lover's Links section.

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
jmiked said:
Agreed. Harry does a very good job of formatting the books on Mobileread.com. It's generally my first stop on the freebies trail. I'm surprised also that it's not in the Book Lover's Links section.

Mike
Send a PM to Betsy with the info. I'm sure she'll add it.

L

1 - 20 of 22 Posts