Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, so please bear with me.  I don't yet have my Kindle but I've been browsing Amazon continuously to see what's available.  Mostly I'm looking at older, possibly public-domain, stuff and it seems like there are 4 to 6 seperate versions of every old novel out there, all with different prices.  Can anyone tell me how you would choose between them?  Does it make a difference?  What differences might there be? 

Signed,

Confused  ???

·
Registered
788 Posts
For older, possibly public-domain stuff, I would suggest checking out the free e-book sites before checking them out on Amazon.com. There's a section in the Book Corner called "Book Lover's Links", I'd go there and see if the books you're looking for are available there.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I had a problem with this yesterday. 

Book 9 of the Stephanie Plum series was listed twice.  I, of course, selected the cheaper of the two.  The words were thick, blurry and difficult to read.  It took me about 5 minutes to decide I couldn't stand it.  I sent an email to Amazon and asked for a refund.  I then purchased the more expensive version.  That one is good.

Sometimes you can get the cheaper version of the book and not have any problems, but I have no clue why they provide multiple versions.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Always good to sample first too, if the book isn't actually free, and pick the one with the best formatting.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Mikuto said:
Always good to sample first too, if the book isn't actually free, and pick the one with the best formatting.
It wasn't any big deal to get a refund but going the sample route would have been easier. I never even thought to do that first.
Live and learn. ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
sebat said:

Book 9 of the Stephanie Plum series was listed twice. I, of course, selected the cheaper of the two. The words were thick, blurry and difficult to read. It took me about 5 minutes to decide I couldn't stand it. I sent an email to Amazon and asked for a refund. I then purchased the more expensive version. That one is good.

Sometimes you can get the cheaper version of the book and not have any problems, but I have no clue why they provide multiple versions.
Thanks for that. I'll be getting #9 right after Christmas. You might want to post a review at Amazon so other unsuspecting people won't be taken in. Gotta have our Steph in good format.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Mikuto said:
For older, possibly public-domain stuff, I would suggest checking out the free e-book sites before checking them out on Amazon.com. There's a section in the Book Corner called "Book Lover's Links", I'd go there and see if the books you're looking for are available there.
That's what I do. I actually enjoy converting free stuff to go on my Kindle, in a weird sort of way :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Thanks for that. I'll be getting #9 right after Christmas. You might want to post a review at Amazon so other unsuspecting people won't be taken in. Gotta have our Steph in good format.
Done

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
sebat said:
I checked out your review and it's posted at the top on the side. Good position for it and I know you'll save some people a lot of grief. Then I decided to get the better copy right then. Yes, I tend to panic and 1-click.

B

·
0 Posts
Mikuto said:
My favorite site for public domain works is feedbooks.com. You can download their catalog, then get the books from your Kindle with just a click. That is if you have Whispernet access.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
My favorite site for public domain works is feedbooks.com. You can download their catalog, then get the books from your Kindle with just a click. That is if you have Whispernet access.
I love feedbooks, too. I haven't looked at another public domain site since I downloaded their catalog.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was looking in the Kindle Store when I came across a title several times, with the same title, same book visual on the page, different authors, (slightly) different descriptions of the book (tho very slimilar), different prices, and different file sizes of the book. Here's a link with the titles:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_kinc?url=node%3D154606011&field-keywords=budget+home+decorating+tips&x=0&y=0

I downloaded 3 separate copies/editions of the book, and they are essentially the same book, and the samples don't really tell much beyond "what you're going to find out in this book".

Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
92 Posts
sebat said:

Book 9 of the Stephanie Plum series was listed twice. I, of course, selected the cheaper of the two. The words were thick, blurry and difficult to read. It took me about 5 minutes to decide I couldn't stand it. I sent an email to Amazon and asked for a refund. I then purchased the more expensive version. That one is good.

What you ran into was Topaz formatting -- don't know if that's been covered in The Book Corner or not. St. Martin's Press has been the worst offender with this, and it's interesting to see that they offered the book in a regular Kindle format as an option. Maybe all the complaints about their formatting are finally having an effect.

Looking at the two editions of the book via your computer, notice that the cheaper one does not show you the size of the download, just the number of pages in the book, whereas the more expensive one shows both. That's because, my paranoid self suspects, any book in Topaz formatting is 10 times the size of a regularly formatted book, and not only looks bad on the Kindle, but slows the page turns down too. Always get a sample of any book published by St. Martin's would be my advice. And with any publisher, if you're looking on-line, check the size of the download. Unless it's, say, War and Peace, it should be in the range of 300-600KB. Whispernet info, though, won't show you the size of the download.

Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeff said:
800 pages is 1514 KB.
And Julia Spencer-Fleming's A Fountain Filled With Blood, with 300-odd pages, was 5.5MB. I note that's been withdrawn from the Kindle Book site, so maybe St. Martin's has seen the light.

Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeff said:
Yeah, it was a freebie quite a few months ago. And turning pages was agonizing -- like you had a dial-up connection and were waiting for the page to fill in, page after page after page.

Jim

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I have a whole bunch of books over 1 MB, all the way to 5.5 MBs...

But the ones I've actually read, and can vouch for are about 400KB

Outlander is 1.2MB

Betsy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts