Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love (LOVE) if we could get together a list of download links for the "must read" pieces of classic literature!  I think it would be a good resource for the community.  I'll try to get started on one if it seems like a good idea : )

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My contribution to the Must Read Classical Literature list would have to begin with The Iliad and The Odyssey. I have lost count of the hours of joy I have spent reading these two timeless works. Highly Recommended.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I think it was in the books recommended by our members thread that several people touted a particular translation.  Or maybe it was request this book on Kindle. 

Are you recommending this one, Kevis, as the best translation or the only one on Kindle?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Gertie,

I'm not sure which translation the members mentioned. In my case, I prefer the Robert Fitzgerald translation of The Iliad and The Odyssey. But I don't believe his books are yet available on Kindle. I posted the link to the version above because I think it is wonderful that readers can download the dual volumes of both The Iliad and The Odyssey to their Kindle for only 99 cents. Two of the greatest masterpieces in all of literature at a bargain price. It's a winner if you ask me.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Kevis Hendrickson said:
Gertie,

I'm not sure which translation the members mentioned. In my case, I prefer the Robert Fitzgerald translation of The Iliad and The Odyssey. But I don't believe his books are yet available on Kindle. I posted the link to the version above because I think it is wonderful that readers can download the dual volumes of both The Iliad and The Odyssey to their Kindle for only 99 cents. Two of the greatest masterpieces in all of literature at a bargain price. It's a winner if you ask me.
Fitzgerald sounds right, but it's been a while.

Thanks for posting that 99 cent bargain. Can you post it in the bargain books thread, too?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts

Kevis stole one of mine, so I won't repost it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf is fantastic, but a key part of the DTB is that the facing pages have the translation and the original Old English, so I don't know how that would display on the Kindle's single-column format.

Well, I guess it is possible, because there is a Kindle Edition.

My other classic favorites are Meditations of Marcus Aurelius, The Fagles translation of the Iliad and the Odyssey, The Art of War, and the Book of Five Rings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
well, the first classics I just DLed were Jane Austen, William Blake and Shakespeare so I will always have something to read.  I'm sure I will end up with tons more like War & Peace and who knows what else!?

For Sci-Fi classics I got the Hobbit, will get LOTR, and am eagerly awaiting them to add Hitchhiker's guide!  There's so many wonderful books it is taking all my restraint not to buy or DL them all!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

I only discovered the 19th century author Wilkie Collins a few years ago. The title of "The Moonstone" caught my eye, and after sampling a bit, and reading a few very positive reader reviews, I decided to read it myself. I really loved it, and went on to read "The Woman in White" next, and enjoyed that even more. These are both long but never draggy novels. In fact, I'd describe them as page turners.They're really classic novels in style, with lots of plot twists, heroes and villains, and everything nicely accounted for at the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts