Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a group of authors criticizing Amanda Hocking and her writing. They basically said she had no talent and her success was pure luck. But they used more details that really threw her under the bus. I was floored by their crass criticism of her especially when it was done behind her back. Their argument was that if you're a professional author, you have to be prepared to receive criticism. Okay, I agree with being prepared to receive criticism BUT should they be the ones to give such negative criticism and how does that reflect on them?

I defended Amanda Hocking to the point of being called a moron. You can read about it here http://lilitufel.blogspot.com/2011/06/zombie-unmasked.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
It's no different to using said author to get blog hits, imo. :p

I can't comment on Hocking as I haven't read her work, but no, it doesn't help to criticize another author. However, criticism of material is something all people do, writers and readers alike. I don't see anything wrong in that, but obviously one has to be tactful when creating a public image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ilyria_moon said:
It's no different to using said author to get blog hits, imo. :p

I can't comment on Hocking as I haven't read her work, but no, it doesn't help to criticize another author. However, criticism of material is something all people do, writers and readers alike. I don't see anything wrong in that, but obviously one has to be tactful when creating a public image.
You're absolutely right which is why:

1. I didn't use her name on the title of any of my posts. I only include her in the body of my text because she was the person I was defending.
2. I don't write in her genre so it is of no gain to me to receive hits from her fans.
3. I've never read her work either. I only defend her as a fellow author who should not be thrown under the bus for any reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
I quite like Ms. Hocking's Trylle trilogy and her Hollowland books (not so much the others) but I agree: any author bashing another author for any reason only serves to reflect poorly on the bully. I have no problems with authors pointing out, in a civilized fashion, what didn't work in a particular story (and maybe how it could be fixed) but even then there's such a fine line to navigate. So no, while an author can give an honest review of the *book* they cannot and should not (IMO) pass judgment or "review" the other author's success, life etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Kathleen Valentine said:
Please join the bash-fest at DalglishCantWriteWorthCrap.com...
I tried to join the bash-fest, but dalglishcantwriteworthcrap.com requires a paid membership! Brilliant! And I think the saying is "If you can't say something nice, come sit next to me!"

Seriously, it only makes you look stupid to bash another author. So if you'd like to look stupid, bash anyone you like. If you'd like to avoid looking stupid, avoid bashing people.

I like looking stupid, but I choose to accomplish it by wearing silly hats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Half-Orc said:
I want to be an untalented millionaire when I grow up. Heck, I'll even JOIN IN on those attack-Dalglish discussions if it'll get me there.
LOL...

This is my first kindle boards discussion. I'm open to suggestions. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Let me say first of all, I haven't read any of Amanda's work!
I think the difference needs to be drawn between bashing for the sake of it and constructive criticism. Plenty of people who review books are authors themselves. I review books but I try to avoid reviewing anything in the genre in which I write. I don't feel objective enough. But I wouldn't dream of calling another author's work rubbish etc even if I did think it was. How can that help anyone? It's rude and obnoxious.
Wasn't sure what you meant about doing it behind her back though - I expect a lot of authors are discussed behind their back. I don't think that matters. If someone says something bad about you, you are much better off NOT responding. Otherwise it can all get out of hand and escalate very fast. If I defended an author I liked on a site that clearly didn't like her, I'd make my point and leave - and not go back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sibelhodge said:
Fab! I don't see the need at all for bashing a fellow author. What's that saying?... Oh, yeah, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!
Yes. I wish I would have used that one. Unfortunately, I opted on a different approach. I said, "If you aint got haters you aint doin' shizz right."
Yeah...um...that got me in a lot of trouble. Someone got offended that I called her a "hater." :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
barbara elsborg said:
Let me say first of all, I haven't read any of Amanda's work!
I think the difference needs to be drawn between bashing for the sake of it and constructive criticism. Plenty of people who review books are authors themselves. I review books but I try to avoid reviewing anything in the genre in which I write. I don't feel objective enough. But I wouldn't dream of calling another author's work rubbish etc even if I did think it was. How can that help anyone? It's rude and obnoxious.
Wasn't sure what you meant about doing it behind her back though - I expect a lot of authors are discussed behind their back. I don't think that matters. If someone says something bad about you, you are much better off NOT responding. Otherwise it can all get out of hand and escalate very fast. If I defended an author I liked on a site that clearly didn't like her, I'd make my point and leave - and not go back.
I briefly mentioned reviews on my blog because criticizing an author's book is part of doing a review. And even then, as you say, you wouldn't call their work rubbish. These people were not doing a review.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
I insult people on Kindleboards all the time.  But I like to take a more personal approach.  I will send them private messages telling them how terrible they are.  Then I find their addresses and camp out on their lawn.  Been arrested three times.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
LiliTufel said:
Yes. I wish I would have used that one. Unfortunately, I opted on a different approach. I said, "If you aint got haters you aint doin' shizz right."
Yeah...um...that got me in a lot of trouble. Someone got offended that I called her a "hater." :-\
Haha I agree with that one ;D
 
G

·
LiliTufel said:
I came across a group of authors criticizing Amanda Hocking and her writing.
And how is this any different from groups of indie authors getting together bashing Dan Brown? We are all quick to accuse authors of being jealous, mean, unsupportive or whatever when these groups attack someone we know and like. But if we aren't rushing to the defense of EVERY author that gets based for no reason, we are simply being hypocrites. Period. We cannot out one side of our mouths be mad because a group of trolls attack Amanda, and out the other have our own little hatefests where we bash traditionally published authors.
 
1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top