Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'ce been noticing a lot of threads recently regarding price changes on Amazon. I have a rather large Amazon wishlist that I check frequently to see if anything has dropped low enough in price for me to buy right away. BTW, my wishlist includes more than just kindle books. While price fluctuations have happened as long as I've been shopping with Amazon for several years now (I once noticed a GPS change in price 4 times in one day but never by more than about $5 I think), I have noticed a bit more price changes than usual this month. I have a few opinions (by no means fact) as to why.

1. Surge of customers using their gift cards
2. surge of new kindle owners buying content for new kindle (I wouldn't be surprised to see another round of price changes in late February/early March when the next batch of Kindles are shipped).
3. The dozen or so free books...if someone spends say $12 for a kindle book, then they just got 12 or so books for $12, a real bargain! So Amazon can raise the price of many books that sell well. You know, lure them into the store with free (or cheap) candy.....
4. I believe that Amazon has some crazy forumla that takes into account the number of people that just look vs get free sample vs wishlisted vs buy. The more that look AND buy, the higher the price. The more that look but DON'T sample/wishlist/buy, the lower the price. I am also certain that it takes into account how well a particular author's other books sell in general. I would imagine that the total gross sales for any particular day can also have an influence over prices.
5. Of course if publisher/author says you must sell this book for $13.63 no matter what, then forget #4. Some publishers/authors give Amazon little or no control over certain kindle book prices. Other times Amazon has more freedom to set their prices
6. ebook retailers, publishers and authors are still learning the market

Feel free to add your own crazy ideas while we wait for some of the prices to drop back down  ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have noticed also that these forums seem to influence the prices.  When Outlander was being discussed and recommended I believe it started out at around .99 or 1.99 and now I believe it is around 6.39.  The price kept increasing as more people were buying.  This is our book klub selection and so it has become very popular. 

Hmmm, how I feel about this.  On the one hand I am happy to get a book for .99 or whatever the low price may be.  On the other hand, I do get upset that if I hear about a good price for a book that I want too late then I end up paying the higher price because too many other people wanted the book too.

It seems that the demand for a book will make the price increase which to me is price gouging.  It's not supply and demand since there is no ending of the supply for an e-book.  Oh well, once in awhile getting a great price on a book is nice. 

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Dazlyn said:
I have noticed also that these forums seem to influence the prices. When Outlander was being discussed and recommended I believe it started out at around .99 or 1.99 and now I believe it is around 6.39. The price kept increasing as more people were buying. This is our book klub selection and so it has become very popular.

Hmmm, how I feel about this. On the one hand I am happy to get a book for .99 or whatever the low price may be. On the other hand, I do get upset that if I hear about a good price for a book that I want too late then I end up paying the higher price because too many other people wanted the book too.

It seems that the demand for a book will make the price increase which to me is price gouging. It's not supply and demand since there is no ending of the supply for an e-book. Oh well, once in awhile getting a great price on a book is nice.
I paid $6.39 for Outlander the last week of October...... so Amazon prices do go up and down in a very short time. It was one of the books that I considered a "must have" when I first bought my Kindle. I actually bought the whole series (what exists so far) and paid $6.39 for each book. I have to not let myself get crazy over paying a lot more $$ for books that drop their price to half (or less for some) the next day or week. I've also been able to get free books and bargain books.... so I guess it averages out..... but it can be frustrating!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
I paid $6.39 for Outlander the last week of October...... so Amazon prices do go up and down in a very short time. It was one of the books that I considered a "must have" when I first bought my Kindle. I actually bought the whole series (what exists so far) and paid $6.39 for each book. I have to not let myself get crazy over paying a lot more $$ for books that drop their price to half (or less for some) the next day or week. I've also been able to get free books and bargain books.... so I guess it averages out..... but it can be frustrating!
$6.39 seems to be the gold standard for most of the books I'm replacing on Kindle. Deveraux, Roberts, Gabaldon. I was lucky to get Outlander for $1.75.

I just got two $25 e-certs from Amazon Visa, so it's time to work on another author ... Agatha Christie. Hmm, $4.79 seems to be the highest price. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I paid 3.99 for Outlander on 12/20.  Others got it at 6.39 in October and it is 6.39 at the current time. 

1 - 5 of 5 Posts