Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s obviously time for my annual crisis of confidence.

I’m feeling twitchy and irritable, and that’s never a good sign. The universe is trying to tell me something and, as usual, I don’t want to hear it.

The writing itself has been going very well this year so far, with new novels placed with Dark Regions Press and Darkfuse, and the new Holmes collection coming from Dark Renaissance, and short story sales in several pro markets and high profile anthologies. All of this will get me a higher profile than ever before. My recent publications are picking up good reviews too.

But… but… for me, there’s always a but.

The ebook side of things is showing signs of grinding to a halt. Whether this is due to the glut of free ebooks on the market, or just the natural end of a good period of strong sales, I don’t know, but as it stands, I’ll be losing a big chunk of my income in months to come.

So that means there’s a new urgency for me to break new ground and find ways to make enough cash to pay the bills.

I said this at this time last year, and the year before.

“I’m unsure about my eye for the market. I write what I want to write, producing books that I would want to read. But I’m a fifty-something man steeped in pulp fiction from an early age. I want the big deal, to see my books on shelves in shops all over the world. That’s always been the dream, but my obsessions just don’t seem to cut it in the wider marketplace.”

And another year on, that’s still what I’m doing, still writing pulpy fiction that makes me smile.

The -big- dream that is world domination and the Hollywood deal is still far off, still the golden ring to strive for.

I love writing, love the pictures that flow in my mind.

But is this all there is?

I’m not big on retreating into a shell and gazing at my navel, but maybe that’s just what I need to do.

Or maybe all I need to do is keep writing… it’s taken me more than twenty years to get here. If it takes twenty more to get where I want to be, so be it.

Onward

·
Registered
517 Posts
vrabinec said:
Yours are annual? Mine are hourly.
I was thinking the same thing. lol

Only a single crisis of confidence a year? Where can I sign up for that? Sounds like a dream. ;D

·
Registered
160 Posts
For the past few day's I've hit a bit of a brick wall. I'm thinking it may be the end of the post Christmas peak.

Time to stop looking at my statistics all the time and work on the two books I have part started.

Much better for my sanity.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
And what's wrong with pulpy fiction?

I'm the same way, I want the world, but occasionally I'll sit back and ask myself "would being a mid-lister with a solid following and a bunch of fun stories be so bad?"  The answer is always the same: not in the slightest. 

Don't get me wrong, though, I won't exactly be slamming the door should the world coming knocking.  ;D

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yeah, if you're only having one 'crisis of confidence' a year, I'd say you're doing well. Mine are much more frequent. I think regardless of what's happening with sales, writers write. It's what we do because we couldn't imagine not doing it. And who knows, this could be the year that changes everything for you! It only takes one book to change it all and we never know which book it might be.  :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
The solution is simple, my friend. Write me another John Royle book. I haven't nagged you about that in a very long time and you're about due for some

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
The solution is simple, my friend. Write me another John Royle book. I haven't nagged you about that in a very long time and you're about due for some

One day, Gertie, one day. I have the beginnings of a plot...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
williammeikle said:
One day, Gertie, one day. I have the beginnings of a plot...
Ah, there is hope. Just remember, I'm not getting any younger. If I should die of old age before you finish the book, I'll expect you to sit on my grave and read it to me.

;D

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, there is hope. Just remember, I'm not getting any younger. If I should die of old age before you finish the book, I'll expect you to sit on my grave and read it to me.

;D
If I go first, I'll whisper it in your ear :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Ah, William. Like others have said, we all go through the confidence failing.

I look for ways to boost it back up, or at least to boost sales/downloads, which tends to reflect on my writing confidence. Try reaching out to new groups through FB, blogs, book clubs, etc. When sales are down, I go looking for new readers.

I think we're all in the same boat when it comes to ebook sales sinking right now. This year isn't as strong as last year, but I have more titles out. Just keep writing and finding places where readers who like your style of works hang out. (Easier said than done, but it is doable.) Feed the ego and your confidence will return. We have to work harder than we had to in the past to attract readers.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
williammeikle said:
{coughs}Flower of Scotland, both volumes. Lots of lovely Scottish ghosties{coughs}
Knowing you, I'll be sure to read it in broad daylight with all the lights on. Eeep!

Picked up the book and tweeted it. So easy with Amazon's sharing feature. Aren't they smart?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Knowing you, I'll be sure to read it in broad daylight with all the lights on. Eeep!

Picked up the book and tweeted it. So easy with Amazon's sharing feature. Aren't they smart?
Thanks, Gertie. The first story in Vol 2, DANCERS was one of the first things I wrote, back in 1992. It won 2nd prize in a UK Ghost Story competition, and convinced me I could make a go at it. It has a lot to answer for:)

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I have a crisis of confidence every time I get a crappy review.
Just now a one-star on Goodreads said "Couldn't finish it".  Very nice, Mr Completion-issues (anger), but WHY couldn't you finish it? Is it just because you grabbed a freebie that isn't even in your genre (denial)?

I love pulp fiction. The world needs more of it.

Question: what is a mid-lister? 100K? 500K?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts