Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever come across agencies that come along to your blog and take articles from it for their own Web site?

Not that I mind because they so far have put links back to the original article as per my copyright details on every page. Maybe it is because I write about industry trends... who knows. The first time it happened, it was an article about taxation and treating self publishing as a business. This time it was about J Carson Black.

Has this happened to you?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Do they shorten the post and then drive traffic to your blog to read the rest of it, or are they just scraping your content and dropping it onto their site? Most sites that do this are affiliate marketing sites, just swiping original content to cover their own laziness. A few, like Publetariat, truncate the posts and actually work to increase traffic to the sites generating content. The first type of site is not cool, the second is a good aggregator. I had this happen to me several times when I wrote in the poker industry. I never liked it unless there was a way to increase my traffic. And if a site is grabbing your entire blog post and then just giving you a link, that's not going to drive traffic to you.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you allow republishing with attribution, like a Creative Commons license, then it's okay for them to do whether it benefits you or not. If you haven't specifically authorized re-publishing that way, then you should object. But if I'm reading your post correctly, you do authorize that use, so others can use your work.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Decon said:
Have you ever come across agencies that come along to your blog and take articles from it for their own Web site?

Not that I mind because they so far have put links back to the original article as per my copyright details on every page. Maybe it is because I write about industry trends... who knows. The first time it happened, it was an article about taxation and treating self publishing as a business. This time it was about J Carson Black.

Has this happened to you?
What do you mean by "agencies"?

Sites that do that without permission are violating the law -- they're scammers. They pick a subjects, set up a site which appears to be a big important aggregation site, and then they set computers to mine the web to steal content.

There are a few such sites which are just run by stupid people. (Including a recent scandal involving Cook's Source magazine, which had an editor/publisher who decided -- all on her own -- that the internet was her personal article repository, and she stole content openly. Even when she got into legal trouble, she insisted that anything on the internet was hers to use freely. I think the magazine finally went under because of it.)

As John said -- some of the scam sites are semi-beneficial, if they only post an excerpt and then refer the reader back to your site. And as jnfr said -- if you have put an open license on your blog which gives permission to take the article, then that is legal too. But someone just taking an article from your site and republishing it is not a honor. The sites that do that are just grabbing up content. Those who admire your work and are doing it for good reason would contact you.

The other thing that is bad about this is that duplicate content is considered junk by Google. If they link to you, Google considers that a sign that your article is quality stuff. If they replicate it, Google assumes it's junk written for publicity. (Of course, it isn't black and white -- that's just one of many many measures of quality Google uses. A few replications aren't going to sink your article -- just take points off it's overall score.)

Camille

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.