Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I got a message from a reader that one of my books was unavailable for purchase. I thought the customer just had the wrong link, but I confirmed that when I go to the book's page, it says "this title is not currently available for purchase" instead of the price. In researching this, most people who report the problem have just uploaded their book and are told to wait. In this case, the book has been available in the Kinde store since August and I've been selling copies all the way up until yesterday evening. I checked in the Dashboard and it still lists the book as live, even though the actual store says it's unavailable.

It seems like Amazon has pulled the book from purchase, but not deleted it. It's under a pseudonym so I won't list the title here (anyone curious can send me a PM for the link), but it's not erotica or anything dodgy so I don't understand what's going on. I'm wondering what could be happening. Does Amazon make titles unavailable for some reason? Is this a precursor to the book being banned or deleted? I haven't gotten an email from Amazon about it, and sent emails to Amazon this morning, but haven't gotten a response yet. Any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: This is what it looks like right now...

·
Registered
159 Posts
did they send you a Kindle Quality notice that it had errors in the book? They generally give you 5 days to fix it and then take the book down.

G

·
That's normal if you are looking at the US store but you don't normally shop there, it's Amazon's way of re-directing you to another country store.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T S Paul said:
did they send you a Kindle Quality notice that it had errors in the book? They generally give you 5 days to fix it and then take the book down.
Nope, I've looked through my email going back to September. Nothing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tilly said:
That's normal if you are looking at the US store but you don't normally shop there, it's Amazon's way of re-directing you to another country store.
I'm in the US and I'm looking at the US store. And it's not just me saying the book isn't available, so it's not just my location. It's not the browser either. I've looked on several different devices and computers, and also checked SalesRankExpress where it's no longer listed. I checked the UK and the AU store and it's available there, but not in the US Kindle store.

Edit: Also, like I said, this isn't like it's a new book I've never looked at in the US store. It's been there and I've been looking at it and getting sales from it since August. This literally just changed last night. At six o'clock, I looked and it was available. A few hours later, it's marked as unavailable. And if that's not enough, I have been selling around 5-10 copies a day on average since its release. I've sold zero today, so no one is able to buy it right now. It's also the third in a four book series, and the other three books are still available. It's not me, it's not my store, it's not a misunderstanding. My book that was available is now unavailable to me or the readers.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Did you check your spam mailbox? Sometimes, Amazon emails go there depending on your mail provider. I had that happen to me that an Amazon notice went to my spam mailbox and I missed it for days.

Can you go to your KDP dashboard and check on the book's status in your bookshelf? It may explain what is going on.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
What Amanda said. Two of my books are getting the same "not currently available for purchase" message. I'm repubbing them and, if that doesn't fix it, I'll send off an email to KDP.

ETA: Repubbing does correct it. Only took about ten minutes to correct mine.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Carol (was Dara) said:
What Amanda said. Two of my books are getting the same "not currently available for purchase" message. I'm repubbing them and, if that doesn't fix it, I'll send off an email to KDP.

ETA: Repubbing does correct it. Only took about ten minutes to correct mine.
How does one republish?

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Philip Gibson said:
How does one republish?
Go to Edit eBook Pricing, scroll to the bottom of that page, and click Publish Your Kindle eBook. You don't need to actually update anything - at least, I didn't. Just hitting the publish button did it for me.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yeah... we got a title w/ the same prob. Changed the cover yesterday, and now today it's not showing on Michelle's author page, and doing a search via Sales Rank Express shows no results. Did an incognito search using a clean browser (ie no cookies accepted) and via a VPN shows the book as not being avail for purchase.

We've already sent an email this am as soon as we saw something funny and will keep you guys posted.
I really don't need this crap- it's less than 2 weeks to our very first BB ad.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just got a notice from Zon that the book's now live. All is well!  :)
But this small episode leads me to think about just how deeply my living is rooted in my relationship w/ them.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
There are deep problems with KDP, whether because of the Great Migration from CreateSpace, such problematic additions as Kindle Create, or perhaps overload from too many illiterate and hopeless self-publishers. (I see a lot of this on the KDP Community forums.)

My most recent experience: I published a KDP Print book for the first time on October 12. It stayed in Publishing all weekend, but on Monday I checked the store and it was available for sale and linked to the ebook published a few days earlier. However, there was no product image, no Look Inside sample, and no reviews. (There were two reviews from an earlier edition of the book, published by Doubleday.)

On the 24th I checked again -- 12 days after I had hit the Publish button! It was still No Image, no Look Inside, no reviews. So I ordered a copy and emailed Support. Got back a reply saying that my problem was that I had selected no markets, so it wasn't available, and all I had to go was go back and selected Worldwide or whatever countries I wanted, and all would be well. I replied that I had ordered the book and been charged for it. In reply, I was promised an update by October 30.

The book arrived yesterday. So here's another alarming feature: it was ordered and paid for three days ago, but the sale is still not recorded on the month-to-date paperback report. (Those reports, perhaps not coincidentally, are running about one-third of what I sold through CreateSpace in September.)

And about the physical book: it's okay, but my default 0.5 inch outside margins have somehow shrunk to 0.25 inch, and my default 0.9 inch inside margin has likewise almost vanished, so that the book must be pressed open in order to read it comfortably. Each line of text is 4.5 inches, whereas a line of text in a book published through CreateSpace in May shows as a hair under 4 inches. Both books are 5.5 inches wide, and both were uploaded as an OpenOffice or LibreOffice PDF properly sized. It's almost as if KDP Print has resized my PDF for a 6x9 inch book instead of 5.5x8.5 inches.

Which makes me wonder: what if the same is true of the 5.5x8.5 inch books migrated over from CreateSpace?

The IngramSpark publishers must be having a bit of schadenfreude right about now....

·
Registered
43 Posts
notjohn said:
And about the physical book: it's okay, but my default 0.5 inch outside margins have somehow shrunk to 0.25 inch, and my default 0.9 inch inside margin has likewise almost vanished, so that the book must be pressed open in order to read it comfortably. Each line of text is 4.5 inches, whereas a line of text in a book published through CreateSpace in May shows as a hair under 4 inches. Both books are 5.5 inches wide, and both were uploaded as an OpenOffice or LibreOffice PDF properly sized. It's almost as if KDP Print has resized my PDF for a 6x9 inch book instead of 5.5x8.5 inches.
I don't understand this. Margin size is an absolute value in inches right? So it will be the same irrespective of the trim size? So yes, it seems like there is a printing error but how do you come to the conclusion that they are resizing the pdf?

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
>how do you come to the conclusion that they are resizing the pdf?

What else could it be? The text has been enlarged while the trim size remains the same.

Two possible impacts:

1) I have mostly used OpenOffice Writer to finish up the book begun in Word 2007. (I do the trim size and margins in Word, but all the tweaking of chapter headings, hyphens, and widows&orphans in the simpler word processor.) The most recent book however was done in LibreOffice Writer.

2) To eliminate page numbers in the front matter, I open the OOW/LOW pdf in an old version of Acrobat (4, I think it is) that enables me to white-out things I don't want. However, many of my previous books got the same treatment. Using Styles to do this is a tedious chore in Word, OpenOffice, and LibreOffice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't wait to contact support if it's happening to you because republishing doesn't always fix it.
There is a problem and their tech staff are looking into it so let them know if you have a problem asap.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts