Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so mad  :mad:    When I plug my USB cord into the computer and attach little Emerson, he doesn't show up.  I can find him on three other computers in the house, just not mine - grrrrr.

Does anyone know of a setting that I may need to change?  I am running Windows XP Pro (like all the other computers) and am going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong.  I do get the message that new hardware is found, but that's it.  I always download using Whispernet so I guess its not that big of a deal, but I want to be able to back up my books and maybe add some music (just to say I did).  Also, I wanted to try out a new screensaver.... ah, me.....

Any help would be most appreciated - and yes, you can call me a nontechy silly stupid-head if it is some super easy fix  :p

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Do you have more than 1 USB port?  It's possible the port is bad.  If you have a second port you could try it in that one.

Ann

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My iPhone and shuffle work just fine, but it also doesn't acknowledge my camera - weird.  Thanks, I guess I need to mess around with the ports themselves a little more....

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
The only thing I can think is that there's not enough power to read the device, it may draw more than the ipod or shuffle.  Is it a laptop you're using?  If you're on battery, try plugging it in.

Ann
(ignoring BJ's left field post. . . .I've got hats now, BJ. . .I'll be watching you)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've gotten that problem with my camera back when I used Xp and have gotten in once or twice on my kindle with vista.. 

A computer restart is what has always worked for me............

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
giggles for BJ's post.....  ;D

I'm on a desktop, but will try shutting down everything I have open and try the restart - thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an iMac (OS 10.5.5  Intel Core 2 Duo) and plug my Kindle and my digital camera into a 4 port expander (powered) and they work just fine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I sort of have the same problem.  When I plug my K into the usb port I can see the K as a new drive but the sd card does not show as a second drive.  Any help?  I have some books moved to the sd card and I want to move some music but can't without seeing the sd card.  Of course, in the content manager music doesn't show.

John

·
Registered
249 Posts
vg said:
I am so mad :mad: When I plug my USB cord into the computer and attach little Emerson, he doesn't show up. I can find him on three other computers in the house, just not mine - grrrrr.

Does anyone know of a setting that I may need to change? I am running Windows XP Pro (like all the other computers) and am going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong. I do get the message that new hardware is found, but that's it. I always download using Whispernet so I guess its not that big of a deal, but I want to be able to back up my books and maybe add some music (just to say I did). Also, I wanted to try out a new screensaver.... ah, me.....

Any help would be most appreciated - and yes, you can call me a nontechy silly stupid-head if it is some super easy fix :p
If your PC has never recognized Emerson then I may know the problem and how to solve it. It can take some explaining so I'll email it to you if that's OK.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
jheydt said:
I sort of have the same problem. When I plug my K into the usb port I can see the K as a new drive but the sd card does not show as a second drive. Any help? I have some books moved to the sd card and I want to move some music but can't without seeing the sd card. Of course, in the content manager music doesn't show.

John
Can you see the SD card in the content manager? And have you tried a different card?

Betsy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Betsy - I can see the sd card in the content manager and have transferred a few books to the card.  My only problem is that when I connect to my pc the kindle shows as a drive but the sd card does not.  Don't believe it would be any better if I used another sd card.

John

B

·
0 Posts
*revisits thread out of boredom*

[quote author=AnnVonMod](ignoring BJ's left field post. . . .I've got hats now, BJ. . .I'll be watching you)[/quote]

Sorry, I guess it was kind of an obscure reference. Back in the Seventies, there were products such as keychains, TV remotes, and other easily-misplaced items that would emit a beep to help you find them if you clapped.

Still left field? ;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BJ -  I understood your reference to the Clapper.  omg - does that make be a relic?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts