Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer virus journey started last weekend. I started getting popups while in the Internet Explorer that warned of computer threat. I thought it was my virus protection and like an idiot clicked on the continue button after it kept coming up everytime I clicked on a link. I also had this icon in my systray at the bottom right of my screen. When you click on it a Window pops up wanting you to buy the protection. I didn't do it, but it was already to late for my computer. I spent hours with my virus protection help and with Dell support, but nothing got rid of it and I can no longer use my laptop. I now have to completely reformat it to get rid of the virus.The title of the virus is Spyware Protect 2009 and it is part of the Conficter virus that steals user ids and user passwords. Once it is on your computer it takes over the internet explorer and when you search for it, it will take you to websites for removing it. They are bogus and if you download the removal it then installs the Conficter virus completely. My company is also seeing this problem on our work laptops and our IT department sent out the warning at the bottom of this message.

Here is the email from my IT department:

A recent development regarding the Conficker virus has been detected, where it is now directing infected machines to download new, harmful files, thus activating the botnet. Here's how this new behavior works:

Conficker sends out email spam without your knowledge. In addition, Conficker uses pop-ups to warn of PC infection and offers fake antivirus software, called 'SpywareProtect2009' at a price of $49.95. If purchased, credit card information is stolen and the virus downloads even more malicious software.

If you encounter a pop-up like this, do not click on the pop-up at all - not even to close the box. To remove the pop-up without infection, open your Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), and close your Browser in the list of Applications (Explorer, Firefox, etc.). You should take additional precautions to ensure you are not already infected and have adequate protection.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Besides the obvious advice of making sure you have up-to-date protection software, I'd suggest that you download and install pretty much any web browser other than IE (Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome...) and set it to be your default browser, and then never use IE again. While it may be debatable as to the inherent security level of any of those others compared to IE, the likelihood is still that a hacker will be much more inclined to target IE since it is the most used browser (just as a hacker is more likely to target Windows than Mac OS, as Windows is a much more "target rich environment").

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I'll tell my daughters. They usually call me when something pop-up but never know what they'll do... and I'm the one who need to setup their computer.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope it helps someone else not have a problem. This has been a week of frustration for me.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I went through this last year.  After several calls to my ISP, I switched over to Firefox from IE, which helped immensely.  Then I had to get rid of the darn thing. 

Go to trendmicro.com and run housecalls65.  It takes several hours to run, but it's pretty thorough.  I then did a scan through McAfee, to clean up the quarantined items (and there were over 100).  Finally, I ran Spybot S&D, which finished off the rest of the junk. 

It took me about three months to find the right combination to cure the cold. 

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Go to trendmicro.com and run housecalls65. It takes several hours to run, but it's pretty thorough.
I went to trendmicro.com but I can't find housecalls65....any ideas? Or maybe you can post a link??

·
Registered
860 Posts
I got this exact virus too.  And I didn't click on it!  Luckily I'm married to a computer nerd who knew how to fix it or I would be computerless right now.

Good luck to anyone without a computer nerd amongst your family/friends.  I have no idea how I would have recovered my computer without my sweet DH's expertise.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem I have is that I am the computer nerd in the family and just didn't heed my own advice. I am just trying to restore to a place where my computer will stay on long enough for me to recover important files. Once I do that I'm just going to do a factory restore and start over. I have run everything I can find and spent countless hours online with support people trying to fix my computer. I'm have been surprised with the support folks I have talked. They don't seem to know what this virus is and have actually hurt rather than helped throughout this whole thing. This is a bad virus and I urge everyone to do a complete scan on their computers.

Thanks Gertie with the information. Once I do the restore, I'm going to do all of the things you suggested before adding back the recovered data. I'm also going to scan every file before putting it back on my laptop. I have a very expensive system that I love and just want it back working like it should.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Wishing you the best of luck Kathy - I don't know of anything more frustrating than computer problems!  And I remember when we didn't have computers  ::)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Kathy, I feel your pain.  :'(

I have a virus on my laptop too. It started acting funny while I was on vacation. My daughter was online and it started downloading anupdate and the rest is history. Zapped. My brother the computer guru has isolated the viruses and is working to get my laptop clean. I have a desktop but its not the same as having the laptop. My mobie creator is on the laptop so I have not dwonloaded any new books to my Kindle form other sites.

Good luck in getting your computer up and running soon.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Kathy, I'm sorry that even the IT people are no help.  Dang!  

I asked DH what he did to get rid of it.  He said he googled what to do about it, came up with about 20 different ways to get rid of it, after trying about 10 he ended up wiping the computer clean and starting over.  We back up via Mosy every night so it was fairly easy to get everything back on it.  What took him forever was the trial and error process.  And it was extremely frustrating.

Hang in there!  I hope what Gertie has linked you to will solve all of your problems and not just the computer ones.   ;)  And thanks for the warning for other folks.  We always need reminders not to click on stuff.  At least I do.  Clearly.  :-[

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Just about 20 minutes ago I got a thing saying they were checking my computer for viruses....I shut down my computer instantly...its gone.  Phew!!!  I learned in my childs technology class that you should shut your computer down as soon as you see something like this.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm so sad. I never could get Windows to come back up. Just spend the last hour with tech support and nothing I could do, but to a restore. I have my computer back, but lost data. I back up pretty regularly, but still I'll have to reload all of my programs that didn't come with it back on. A lot of them were downloaded and I lost all of my email, so I will have to hunt to find them to redownload. I don't know if I'll find everything, so I'll probably be buying new. Lost some pictures. The only ones I didn't have backup off were ones taken or emailed to me from my children in the last 3 or 4 months. I've been getting a lot because I have 2 that were born last year and they send me weekly updates. The others are older and I had backed those up recently. The email is going to be the hardest. :'(

I have tried for the last 2 weeks to back up everything, but Windows wouldn't stay up long enough for me to do it. Please everyone learn from my mistake, don't click on anything you are not sure of. I hit the continue button before I even realized that it wasn't the cancel button. I just wasn't pay attention.

KindleKay (aka #1652) said:
Poo!

I can't get the stupid page to come up because the infection screen keeps blocking it!
This is exactly what happened to me. Everytime I tried to go to a website I was diverted to other places and trying to force me to download the remove, which is really the install of the complete virus. Believe me I feel your pain.

Neversleepsawink;) said:
Just about 20 minutes ago I got a thing saying they were checking my computer for viruses....I shut down my computer instantly...its gone. Phew!!! I learned in my childs technology class that you should shut your computer down as soon as you see something like this.
Smart move.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts