Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to confess ... I ordered a DTB today.  :eek:  I'm sorry  :'(  But it wasn't entirely MY fault - it isn't Kindlized. You see, when I start a series it becomes a minor obsession that I get the entire series. I ordered the latest Red Wall book from Amazon... I've got all of the others and my mouse ran onto the order button without my even thinking about it. I admit it ... I lapsed back into the pre-Kindle mindset. I apologize to all Kindlers and environmentalists out there. I'll try to do better in the future.

By the way, just out of curiosity, since trees are a renewable resource, why the big stink about buying DTBs?  ???

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
FearNot said:
I have to confess ... I ordered a DTB today. :eek: I'm sorry :'( But it wasn't entirely MY fault - it isn't Kindlized. You see, when I start a series it becomes a minor obsession that I get the entire series. I ordered the latest Red Wall book from Amazon... I've got all of the others and my mouse ran onto the order button without my even thinking about it. I admit it ... I lapsed back into the pre-Kindle mindset. I apologize to all Kindlers and environmentalists out there. I'll try to do better in the future.
We forgive you ... don't let it happen again. Unfortunately, the lure of a good book is just too hard to resist sometimes.

By the way, just out of curiosity, since trees are a renewable resource, why the big stink about buying DTBs? ???
Because of how long it takes a tree to grow to harvestable size.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You're forgiven - but ONLY because it isn't kindleized.  If you buy a DTB that is kindlized (other than for collecting purposes, that's ok too), I think that is some sort of punishable offense.  The sentence?  2 weeks banned from kindleboards.  That will deter you! 

·
Registered
195 Posts
Don't worry -- I believe Leslie says in her FAQ that the trees used to make dtb's are bad trees that deserve to die. :)  Or am I paraphrasing badly?

G

·
Ignore them, FearNot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a "real" book. Regardless of what the fanatics say, it isn't an "either/or" situation. Despite her sniping about gasoline expenditure, LR and I own hundreds of books, and always will. And I have no doubt that we'll buy more in the future.

The fact is that major paper manufacturers like Weyerhauser do replant trees to make theirs a sustainable, renewable product. If people are going to get all tree-huggy, it makes much more sense to get angry about the Brazilian developers who are slashing-and-burning (as well as bulldozing) hundreds of acres of rain forest every day and doing absolutely nothing with the trees they destroy.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Khabita said:
Don't worry -- I believe Leslie says in her FAQ that the trees used to make dtb's are bad trees that deserve to die. :) Or am I paraphrasing badly?
Yes, criminal trees...

I actually didn't say that. It was another poster and I thought it was hilarious when I read it.

L

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I will continue to buy DTBs Fearnot....things that I have read and have to have, mostly non-fiction though. There are also books on my heritage that I do collect as well...something that I want to teach my daughter since she is Chinese/Italian. So I see no reason to stop buying books even though I own a Kindle :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Ummm. Well, I ordered FOUR DTBs from Amazon the other day (which, oddly enough, were about sustainable living ideas!), but none of them are on the Kindle and all of them have illustrations that would be lousy on the Kindle, anyway. But I still hate doing that...!

Mike

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I do the same things with series, I must read them all.. Kindled or not. But I thought books now come from Recycled trees.  So wouldn't it be DRTB?? Dead Recycled Tree Books?  At least i was under the impression that most paper is pretty much recycled now.  At least it certainly smells that way when the paper mill up here in Tacoma gets going. We like to fondly call it the Tacoma aroma.  ::)

theresam

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
There is nothing wrong with buying a paper book. I still buy them, such as cookbooks...those wouldn't be the same on a kindle.
Plus, books on a bookshelf look so distinguished and scholarly (even if I'm not). And, the leather covered books are to die for!
When I go to stores, I still am drawn to books and I pick them up and caress them and hold them lovingly. I think DTB will always be around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts