Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Wow...GREAT post, Elle!  I read the whole thing and was so psyched by it that I read parts of it aloud to my fiance, who lately has been getting drawn into the mechanics of the publishing industry and the excitement of the revolution.

You made some killer points, and I think you're right.  And I used to be one of those authors who thought she'd NEVER self-publish, that it would never be as big a deal as it is now.

One part, where you mentioned that some agents are telling writers they can't sell subsidiary rights without also selling ebook rights, really hit home for me.  My one successful self-published novel (I've got one more fresh one I just put out and more to come out shortly, but the first one did so great on its own) was previously represented by two different agents, neither of whom could sell it.  After it started consistently selling well as an indie book, I approached one of my former agents and told her how much I'd enjoyed working with her before, and asked her if she'd be interested in selling print and subsidiary rights to this book, since it was rapidly developing a following.  She said no publisher would be interested in considering it without ebook rights attached.  So I thanked her and went on my merry way.  Tra-la-la!  If agents still really think that they can strong-arm all-or-nothing deals onto authors, they've got another think coming.  I am happy to hold out until I am approached by an agent who understands the smarts in an a la carte deal, and who will respect the fact that I can reasonably demand that I will keep my ebook rights.

Anyway, AWESOME post.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
One of the comments:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" Upton Sinclair
Teehee!

Ask a realtor if it's a great time to buy a home right now. Seriously. Just ask.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you guys liked it.  It's pretty much a short story, so kudos to anyone who actually gets through it.  lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is a fantastic piece (long version!). I've been working in two fields when they were hit by digital revolutions, and I have to say this article is one of the best summaries that I have read about the changes, problems, reactionary panic, and backlash that accompany the new forms. Nicely done.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
C.P.D.Harris said:
This is a fantastic piece (long version!). I've been working in two fields when they were hit by digital revolutions, and I have to say this article is one of the best summaries that I have read about the changes, problems, reactionary panic, and backlash that accompany the new forms. Nicely done.
Wow, thank you! I'm very flattered. :)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hugh Howey said:
Awesome stuff. You made my day, Elle. And I like the commenter above who described the agent as "adorable." ;D
Seems I'm not alone in my thoughts about the state of the industry today. :)

·
Administrator
10,097 Posts
C.P.D.Harris said:
+1

Great stuff, Elle!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Excellent article, Elle. I agree, it's one of the best written pieces on the state of Indie publishing I've read.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's a long blog post, but every word of it is totally relevant and useful. Great blog post, Elle! I've tweeted it, and hope others do too, a lot of very valid points for now, and in the future too!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deanna Chase said:
Excellent article, Elle. I agree, it's one of the best written pieces on the state of Indie publishing I've read.
:) Smiling real big over here. Thank you!

Sally C said:
It's a long blog post, but every word of it is totally relevant and useful. Great blog post, Elle! I've tweeted it, and hope others do too, a lot of very valid points for now, and in the future too!
Yeah, too long, I know. I had this agent's ear and I was just going to fill it up as much as I could!!

Becca Mills said:
+1

Great stuff, Elle!
Thanks, Becca!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Andrew Ashling said:
Great article. Tweeted it. :)
Thanks, Andrew!

Cherise Kelley said:
I love the comment about actual gatekeepers. Really puts things in perspective.
I just don't understand why I even had to say it. Why don't agents see what is so obvious to us? *shrug*

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You guys are all figments of my imagination. I'm going to write a book about you.  ::)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts