Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off today and was planning to spend the day curled up on the sofa to finish reading Water for Elephants.  My life never goes as planned so I shouldn't be surprised. lol   My friend/neighbor called me early this morning to report that she found a stray mama cat with 2 kittens in the woods behind our subdivision.  People keep dumping animals back there and she keeps finding them! We both have done rescue work before so of course, we can't just leave them there!  She is taking the kittens, I agreed to take the mama to foster until we get her fixed and adopted out.  I need to get a cat trap to get her though because she is timid right now (although definitely NOT feral).   This is how I'll be spending my day now.   ;D

There is also little boy cat (Arthur) at a shelter near here whose last day on earth is going to be tomorrow if he doesn't get out.  I wanted to go and get him and foster him and adopt him out and was begging hubby all weeekend to let me go and save him (our new agreement about my rescues is that I can do it if it's an emergency only, like strays, because I have a bad habit of cleaning out too many animals from shelters at once).  

Now I still want Arthur but now I will have this little mama cat, too.  I REALLY hope he gets adopted today otherwise, I may end up with 2 foster cats in 2 different bedrooms and that is just a bit too much for me right now.  Not to mention my hubby will kill me! What to do! :-\

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It's hard turning down a cat/dog in need. All three of my cats over the years have been strays/rescues. But there are so many, you can't save them all, just do what you can.

Don't end up like this lady. :eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow...  lol 

I have 3 dogs and a cat of my own.  Last year, I rescued over 13 animals.  I didn't keep a single one!  I'm so proud of my discipline in that area.  ;D

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Christine - I am so very proud of you!  I cannot give you any advise as I am not "allowed" to rescue anything other than the 2 dogs we already have.  Since you have such a good history of adopting out surely your husband will let you work with Arthur and finding him a home.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Forster said:
It's hard turning down a cat/dog in need. All three of my cats over the years have been strays/rescues. But there are so many, you can't save them all, just do what you can.

Don't end up like this lady. :eek:

I'm not a cat person at all (I am a dog person though). I can't imagine 130 cats in one house. I have a friend in Louisville, KY and he is always taking in strays and rescuing from the shelter. I never know what's going to be there when I go to visit. Fortunately, it's nothing like this woman in the you tube video. There has to be limits to doing the "right thing".

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Awww, Christine, ss for your dilemma. Sounds like you have a good adoption record. Hope you can find a good home for whatever needy cats that you end up with.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got back from my friend's house and saw the kittens.  BEYOND ADORABLE!!!  I wanted to kidnap them but I was good. lol  They are about 12 weeks old so plenty old enough to be weaned from Mama.  We set a cat trap for mama a few minutes ago and we'll keep checking it every couple of hours today/tonight. 

I may have found a home for Arthur!  There is a woman who contacted me who wants him but can't get to the shelter in time tomorrow.  I will pick him up for her and meet her after work if she goes through with it.  She seemed really interested in him so I hope she takes him.  Keep your fingers crossed for Arthur even though he'll probably make it out regardless.  ;) 

I too, prefer dogs as a personal preference for a pet but I do also have a cat and love her dearly (ok, that was a total foster failure, lol).  I just love all animals I guess and hate to see them suffer.

·
Registered
921 Posts
raccemup said:
I just got back from my friend's house and saw the kittens. BEYOND ADORABLE!!! I wanted to kidnap them but I was good. lol They are about 12 weeks old so plenty old enough to be weaned from Mama. We set a cat trap for mama a few minutes ago and we'll keep checking it every couple of hours today/tonight.

I may have found a home for Arthur! There is a woman who contacted me who wants him but can't get to the shelter in time tomorrow. I will pick him up for her and meet her after work if she goes through with it. She seemed really interested in him so I hope she takes him. Keep your fingers crossed for Arthur even though he'll probably make it out regardless. ;)

I too, prefer dogs as a personal preference for a pet but I do also have a cat and love her dearly (ok, that was a total foster failure, lol). I just love all animals I guess and hate to see them suffer.
Sounds like your just a good person. I'm glad there are people out there and can and do help those who need it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
May I ask if the Cat was living in the wild or abandoned?  If so, why not consider leaving it in the woods?  They do quite well on their own if they accustomed to the surroundings. 

I have a cat that came through a big family that leaves in the wild by our house.  Probably no use trying to domesticate them either by now. 

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cats are not feral, they are cleary domesticated and friendly.  They were most likely dumped out there but they were pets at some point.  I can't possibly leave an unfixed cat out there.  The mother cat has to be spayed or there will be thousands of new homeless cats and that is just totally unnecessary and irresponsible.  If they were feral, then we would get them fixed and return them but that is not the case. 

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It is hard to help someone or something in need. If it gets bad there might eba no kill shelter in the area

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.