Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally took the plunge and transitioned all six of my paperbacks from CreateSpace to KDP print. I've carefully perused three of the six books so far and can happily report that my content appears unaffected by the transition. My covers, text, page counts, formatting, maps, fancy dropcaps are all fine. I did notice on the "Paperback Details" page that only one category was identified (so I chose a second) and only 4 of 7 keywords appeared. I can't recall if CreateSpace allowed less keywords than KDP to begin with. Also, I'm not sure why, but "all territories" wasn't selected on the "Paperback Rights & Pricing" page, so of course I checked that box. These issues have been consistent across all the books I have reviewed thus far.

Just thought I'd share for those who are still nervous about taking the plunge. Now, off to check the other three books!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm migrating now and catching up on kboards while I wait for KDP to load. My heart leapt into my throat when I saw your subject- I thought it was going to another nightmare experience. Glad things went well and hoping my goes the same way!

·
Registered
769 Posts
KSRuff said:
I did notice on the "Paperback Details" page that only one category was identified (so I chose a second) and only 4 of 7 keywords appeared.
CS only allowed one BISAC category, and 5 keywords.
Also, I'm not sure why, but "all territories" wasn't selected on the "Paperback Rights & Pricing" page, so of course I checked that box.
This seems to be the default for books moved from CS to KDP Print. All of my books (about 30) defaulted the same way, and I've seen comments from others that were the same as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not so good right now: I decided to upload a newer version of the manuscript, and then my cover disappeared, so I used their cover creator. Now I'm trying to get a preview and it's been scrolling for 10 minutes. So far one book has taken me 45 minutes and it's still not up yet.  :'(

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I have 89 titles on Createspade (some are duplicates in large print) so I'm going to let them do the migration. Relieved to hear yours went well.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Marti talbott said:
I have 89 titles on Createspade (some are duplicates in large print) so I'm going to let them do the migration.
You'll still need to check the data on every single one after the migration. All of mine (about 30) defaulted to a subset of available territories, so I had to edit every one to change it to worldwide. I also added a second category while I was at it (and could've added additional keywords since KDP allows 7 and CS allowed 5).

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I had some versions of books on CreateSpace that I was selling through Expanded Distribution(ED) only.  Not .com or .co.uk.  This so that I could avoid having to list really high prices on the US and UK offerings.

Since transferring my books, it seems that KDP do not allow this, and I have been told that I need to also list the ED versions on .com and .uk or they will revert to draft status.  If I do that, the US and UK prices will rise considerably.

Philip

·
Registered
222 Posts
Philip Gibson said:
I had some versions of books on CreateSpace that I was selling through Expanded Distribution(ED) only. Not .com or .co.uk. This so that I could avoid having to list really high prices on the US and UK offerings.

Since transferring my books, it seems that KDP do not allow this, and I have been told that I need to also list the ED versions on .com and .uk or they will revert to draft status. If I do that, the US and UK prices will rise considerably.

Philip
Me too. And ED gives me about 30 cents a purchase at the normal PB price :(

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
@Sarah: interesting about your books not defaulting to Worldwide. I got a whine from KDP about public domain etc etc and if I had Wordwide Rights to respond with documentation etc etc, this on a book that has been sold on Amazon since December 2013. (I was able to take a screenshot of it at that very moment.) Then when I went back to work on the book, I found that indeed Worldwide was not checked. I checked it and it proceeded.

That was just a minor bother. Much worse was the book I had begun on CS and that obstinately refused to appear on KDP Print. I worked at it and worked at it, and finally I did beat it into submission. I found that downloading templates and working with them is beyond my pay scale, so I settled on the Cover Creator with an uploaded front cover. Again I had to beat it into submission, but when I was done, I concluded that the KDP Cover Creator is a finer weapon than the CreateSpace cover wizard. So while that was a bit of a  horror show, I think that on balance it was worth it.

Now of course I will have to go back and check all the books (18 titles, it turns out) for Worldwide Rights, though I assume they're okay since I've had no word on it.

The book I had earlier started on CS turns out to cost $4.10 to print. I'm pretty sure that's higher than the CS price, so I may have to go through all my books to check on that matter too, in case I must raise the price to earn my minimum $1.50 on Expanded Distribution.

Altogether, not a great way to spend two hours, but not as bad as I had feared.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
In CS, if you had all the worldwide options checked, I forget what it's called but it was the last option which used to include the CS store when it was still around, then when your book migrates to KDP they remove it from all worldwide. I had heard about this before my migration so I unchecked that last option and it migrated. But if I recall, it had individual territories selected and a ton of checked boxes rather than the first option of doing them all. Sorry I didn't think to note which territories they had selected. Either way, it means you'll need to go through your pricing for each book migrated. You probably should do that anyway since we get another category choice and added keywords.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have 140+ paperbacks to migrate. Guess who I'm letting do the footwork? :p

I found the process of making a new book enjoyable, with one flawless book and one troublesome. The second book did not want to register my PDF page count as CS did and chopped a bunch of pages. :mad: This is an issue because Kindle loves to under-report page counts on my stories, even though I use Bookerly font at 11pt. So I'm below the 12pt recommendation, yet Kindle still chops 20% off my page counts.

On the paperbacks, this matters when I usually put at the bottom of my blurbs, "121 Standard Paperback Pages" (PDF) and then KDP decides I only have 90. Super aggravating. I am not looking forward to nitpicking 140+ books for page counts and fixing them.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
TromboneAl said:
Have any books been automatically transferred yet?

Laboriously typed with fat thumbs on my tablet.
I was thinking of posting that exact question. Why on Earth would anyone want to do the leg work themselves knowing the obstacles people are posting they are confronted with when doing so?

Amazon says it is going to transfer the books over themselves. What is the advantage of doing that yourself? It should be possible to do all the tweaks on the paperbacks after Amazon has move them into KDP, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
baldricko said:
Amazon says it is going to transfer the books over themselves. What is the advantage of doing that yourself? It should be possible to do all the tweaks on the paperbacks after Amazon has move them into KDP, or am I missing something?
You're missing nothing. :p

Some people just like to do it themselves. Nothing wrong with that, either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
KSRuff said:
So, I finally took the plunge and transitioned all six of my paperbacks from CreateSpace to KDP print. I've carefully perused three of the six books so far and can happily report that my content appears unaffected by the transition. My covers, text, page counts, formatting, maps, fancy dropcaps are all fine. I did notice on the "Paperback Details" page that only one category was identified (so I chose a second) and only 4 of 7 keywords appeared. I can't recall if CreateSpace allowed less keywords than KDP to begin with. Also, I'm not sure why, but "all territories" wasn't selected on the "Paperback Rights & Pricing" page, so of course I checked that box. These issues have been consistent across all the books I have reviewed thus far.

Just thought I'd share for those who are still nervous about taking the plunge. Now, off to check the other three books!
I didn't face any challenges in migrating the books. As instructed in 'three steps' it done perfectly. Now safe in KDP and I do not know what will be in future.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
baldricko said:
I was thinking of posting that exact question. Why on Earth would anyone want to do the leg work themselves knowing the obstacles people are posting they are confronted with when doing so?

I can't speak for everyone, but I wanted to complete this task on a time table that was convenient for me in case there were any issues or glitches impacting the content that needed to be fixed. It took all of 60 seconds to complete the steps to move the books from CreateSpace to KDP so it isn't like that part of the process/leg work is time consuming. Regardless of who initiates that transition, I'm assuming you would still want to review the settings and the content just to make sure everything is okay. Why not do that when it is convenient for you vs. when it is convenient for Amazon?

·
Registered
264 Posts
KSRuff said:

Thanks for posting this! I never thought to check on the details, but have now made sure that I've asserted world-wide rights for all my books!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I migrated a few weeks ago and it went mostly okay, except one book which didn't transfer at all. But I just checked my dashboard and saw that one of my other books has been unpublished. I received no notification at all, so I don't know how long it's been like that. I checked, and not only has it changed my rights setting to individual territories rather than worldwide, but it has upped the price. That's why it unpublished, I assume. I've had to put the price up from £8.99 to £9.99. Only a £1 difference, yes, but 8.99 is already too expensive for a book.

I've also checked on that other book that didn't come over properly, to finally publish it, and it says I have made changes to the files uploaded so I have to approve it again. Obviously I haven't made any changes at all, so I have no idea what their system might have done. With their level of incompetence, they should be offering free proof copies of every auto-migrated book.

Until today, I was reasonably happy with the transition.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just noticed another weird thing. Because I didn't realise how much they'd screwed up, I hadn't checked book details. I've just gone through and some aren't eligible for expanded distribution because the ISBN has been submitted elsewhere (Createspace). Others are eligible. Despite having also migrated from CS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts