Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone is interested in news about Babelcube, so here's mine so far. I admit I was dubious at first but I still offered a small cadre of books for translation (three or four, I don't remember) Well nothing happened for months then about two months ago I got two offers to translate A Kept Woman into Spanish a day apart. Those didn't work for reasons I won't go into, but shortly after I received an offer to translate the same book into Italian. Finally we were off and running. Then while she translated A Kept Woman got an offer for Dreams also in Italian. The short version of events is we pubbed A Kept Woman three or for weeks ago and today I set Dreams up for publication, this morning.

The more offers I got the more books I offered. As of now I have a Spanish translation of [ i]A Kept Woman[/i] and a Spanish and Italian translation of Sleeping with the Band, the Italian from Elena, the same woman who translated [ i]A Kept Woman[/i] into Italian originally.

I was pleased to get the first book pubbed, but wondered if it would sell. When I checked today I was pleasantly surprised. Six books at $4.99 had sold, oddly all through Kobo. Naturally I added more books to my Babelcube catalog which now sits at an even dozen and I plan to add a book a day until my most promising books are all available.

If you plan to try Babelcube you may want to consider this. The longest book was [ i]A Kept Woman[/i] @55K. Dreams was only 17500K and Sleeping with the Band was even shorter @9000K :)

My point is translators may be looking for books that will take less time to translate so they can mak more mony faster. Sort of like we authors. ;

WELL MY BOOK, A KEPT WOMAN HAS BEEN OUT ONLY A LITTLE OVER TWO WEEKS IN ITALIAN AND HERE ARE THE SALE'S FIGURES FOR 15 DAYS

Showing sales from 03/10/2015 to 03/24/2015
Channel Unit sales
Kobo 3
Apple 3
Amazon.de 1
Amazon.it 201
Total 208

nEEDLESS TO SAY, i COULDN'T BE MORE PLEASED!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dee, thanks for sharing.

I'm concerned that I wouldn't know how to check the accuracy of the translations. What do you do for that?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PortableHal said:
Dee, thanks for sharing.

I'm concerned that I wouldn't know how to check the accuracy of the translations. What do you do for that?
Good point. Some reviers have a track record and have been reviewed. I haven't got any of those, but the translators I got had good references and I put a couple f the short samples up here on Kboards and got feedback (mostly good) from foreign speaking members.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SALES UPDATE

Book sales of translation of "A Kept Woman" into Italian

Date Range:

Showing sales from 02/12/2015 to 03/13/2015
Channel Unit sales
Kobo 7
Apple 1
Amazon.it 12
Total 20

I'm quite pleased with these numbers as these are full $4.99 price sales. No free or 99 cents sales and it's like an income source I wasn't expecting.

I have three other books in translation right now and hope to get even more. Of course this is brand new and I have yet to receive any proceeds, but so far everything has been on the up and up and i've been able to communicate with the translators. In fact one of the books in translation is from the lady who translated A Kept Woman--the book we're talking about. If I have one complaint it's that Babelcube itself is slow to respond to my questions--a couple days usually.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the info, Dee. Much appreciated.

How did you handle the covers? They had to be
re-done/translated as well, didn't they?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts