Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
hahaha, I love this. Great comment and attitude.

My first 3 star review was one of the best I've ever read... as weird as that sounds.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Aw! I kind of love this attitude. Reminds me of Hitchhiker: DON'T. PANIC. Good on you.

Also, what Ronnel said.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me three stars mean, "It didn't blow my hair back but it didn't stink either." And like some people have said in Amanda's thread, it'll add balance to the fours and fives.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Aislynn Archer said:
I got my first 3-star review, and my world didn't end. ;)
Why would you think your world, or anyone's, would end with a three-star review?

There's nothing at all wrong with a three star review. Most ranking systems will say that three stars means, "I liked it."

This constant implication that three stars is "bad" really irks me. :-\ :mad:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Lynn ODell said:
Why would you think your world, or anyone's, would end with a three-star review?

There's nothing at all wrong with a three star review. Most ranking systems will say that three stars means, "I liked it."

Yeah, I'm the same way. To me, 3* means "an enjoyable read if you love the genre." 4+* means "You might like this even if this isn't your favorite genre."

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lynn ODell said:

I didn't mean anyone should think the world would end for three stars (though some people do get upset about things like that). I was being goofy. :)

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Aislynn Archer said:

I didn't mean anyone should think the world would end for three stars (though some people do get upset about things like that). I was being goofy. :)
Regardless of how you meant it, your post implied it. Why else would you draw attention to it?

Yes, I have been berated by authors whose books received three stars. Ridiculous...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Lynn ODell said:

I totally agree. Three stars has become this taboo or something. "Just give me four or two! Anything but three!!" In the end, if having four stars is your "standard," it really works against you as a writer, reader and reviewer (I'm referring to the royal you, not just you, Lynn :)). That means that there are three unacceptable star ratings for you to receive and only two acceptable ones. That's a lot of room for failure.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Lynn ODell said:
I always thought that too but today for the first time I noticed that on Amazon, if you roll over the stars, 3 stars means "It was okay". I was sort of annoyed by that because I always thought 3 was I like it, 4 was I really liked it, and 5 was I loved it.

I actually hate those stupid stars.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Kathleen Valentine said:
I always thought that too but today for the first time I noticed that on Amazon, if you roll over the stars, 3 stars means "It was okay". I was sort of annoyed by that because I always thought 3 was I like it, 4 was I really liked it, and 5 was I loved it.

I actually hate those stupid stars.
Well, 3 IS technically in the middle, but in practical terms it means that the reviewer found some merit. I see it as often a recommendation along the lines of what Caradee wrote -- "if you like this kind of thing, then this is just the kind of thing you'll like." I think, more than any other rating, 3 star reviews are worth reading to find out how the reviewer is defining it.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Katja said:
As a reader I don't trust a book with only 4 and 5 stars reviews. :/ (Especially if there's only few of them.) It's more likely for me to pick up a book that has at least one three star review.
I agree. I would have incredibly high expectations for a book with only five star reviews. I don't think this is reasonable, nor do I think it would be a selling point for me. Sometimes I will buy a book based on the negative reviews. I know I'd like what others did not.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lynn ODell said:
Regardless of how you meant it, your post implied it. Why else would you draw attention to it?

Yes, I have been berated by authors whose books received three stars. Ridiculous...
I had to think for a minute where you were coming from, Lynn, but once I clued in to the fact that you're a reviewer, I got it. I was trying to be lighthearted about the way some authors get all worked up about what they perceive as a "bad" review. Nothing more to it.

I hope I didn't cause offense.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
From an outside POV, that seems like the same attitude those authors dished up... ::) Just an observation, could be wrong...

I think that we should make it an unwritten rule to keep contention out of KB - it's a happy place with high fives for your success, and ice cream for your woes ;)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
RonnellDPorter said:
I think that we should make it an unwritten rule to keep contention out of KB - it's a happy place with high fives for your success, and ice cream for your woes ;)
::Shudder::

This is a happy and supportive place and yaaaaaay for that, but ice cream and "the reviewer is mean/stupid/jealous/crazy" helps no one. It's like the time I came home crying in seventh grade because someone said my butt looked big, and my grandmother offered me money to go to Burger Chef. :D

Yes, cruelty has no place here, support is good, but truth and constructive conversations also have a place at the table.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
"the reviewer is mean/stupid/jealous/crazy"
I believe the point I was making was that this is the negative attitude; that's not woe, that's an attack; it's vicious and defensive. We don't need that here. Just come here to cheer up (i.e. the boards are the ice cream!) :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Katja said:
As a reader I don't trust a book with only 4 and 5 stars reviews. :/ (Especially if there's only few of them.) It's more likely for me to pick up a book that has at least one three star review.
Well, crap. Here I was all pleased by my reviews, and now I find out that it's not good to get all good reviews? I read somewhere else just yesterday that a lot of Amazon readers automatically disregard any 5 star reviews. What's the point of a 5 star system if the top accolade is always seen as suspect?
Whew, thank heavens I just got one more 4... Who wants to give me a 3 to make me legit? :p

A quick read of the sample will usually let me know if the fives are bogus. But I never assume they are until I've read the sample. Five cheers for the samples.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts