Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my refurbished Kindle yesterday early evening. Thanks to the Board members here, that calmed me down amidst my initial freakout  :D, which was really all my doing. I played with it, got some samples, book, dabbled a bit in the browser.

Mr. Atunah came home and he was mighty impressed. Considering he has been doing a lot of eyerolling and finding any negative article about the Kindle on the web to rub it into me, that is pretty neat. Men ::). He couldn't believe how the screen looked just like paper. He kept grabbing it from me,  :-\.

So I didn't do a lot of reading last night, it was dark, I am only wearing temporary lenses and don't have proper lighting yet. I was on the computer before bed and came across the newspapers and there it was, Frankfurter Allgemeine. German Newspaper. I thought, what the hades and got the next day edition, today's.

So this morning, I rise bright and early, turned on Whispernet, feed the cats, feed the man. He leaves for work. I am off right now, so I make me some coffee, slice of cake and sit down with my Kindle on the Kitchen table and there it is, the german newspaper. As I am staring at the first page stories I realized I hadn't read a german newspaper in 14 years. I came to the US in 1995, I don't have family here, my one german friend I had I left behind in Oklahoma when I moved to Texas, I don't barely speak german anymore, only when I talk to my mom, who I haven't seen since I came here, or my friend on the phone on occasion.

So there I sit, reading the current german newspaper which got to my Kindle in the blink of an eye. I got a little overwhelmed. I don't read anything german, other than some websites. As I am reading, I forget where I am. They aren't kidding when they say you disappear in the device. Coffee, cake and german morning newspaper, for a little while, I felt like home. Sitting with my mom or friends on the kitchen table, drinking coffee, having cake and sharing the newspaper on the weekend.

And I haven't even read a book yet  :D.

G

·
Wow, what a great story.  It must really be hard for you sometimes.  You really gave up a lot to be here.  I'm so happy you were able to get a little slice of home from your Kindle.  I can't imagine how good it must feel to be able to read in your native language again.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
What a beautiful story, Atunah

I am so glad the German newspaper was there for you and it took you to a pleasant memory in your past.
Amazing how the Kindle touches us in one way or another; I'm happy it could take you to a place of comfort this morning.

-sailor

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I am all puddled up from your beautiful story Atunah.  So happy you got your refurb and are enjoying it so.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for sharing about your morning.  I loved it.

That's great about your Kindle.  It makes me think that if another "refurbished" one comes on the market, I may pull the trigger.  It is fun reading about other people's experiences while I wait for mine to arrive ... in February ... unless I take the plunge as you did.

Happy reading ... and keep posting about your experiences with the Kindle.

PS ... what kind of cake?  Carrot by any chance?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I'm like the rest, a Kindle story that has reduced me to tears! Thanks for sharing, Atunah, that's wonderful!

L

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, there should be some kind of warning before these stories, i.e., Warning this thread may cause some people to shed a tear or two.  I can't be all watery eyed here at work, when I'm supposed to be working, and then having the coworkers ask if I'm o.k.

However, I'm so glad you are enjoying your Kindle and your memories of home Atunah.  

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words  :)

Streusel Kuchen Bruinboy, it has crumbs on the top.  ;D

I had a order pushed back to February and I was really wary about ordering a refurb. You can read in the refurb thread. I kept waiting and waiting and finally pulled the trigger. I left the original order up so I could see it first. There really isn't anything that looked in any way shape or form used on that Kindle. I am very very picky and I wouldn't have kept it had there been anything that bugged me. Its new, thats all I can say. You can do the same thing, keep your original order and get a refurb if they come up again and then you can always decide.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Atunah said:
Thanks guys for the kind words :)

Streusel Kuchen Bruinboy, it has crumbs on the top. ;D

I had a order pushed back to February and I was really wary about ordering a refurb. You can read in the refurb thread. I kept waiting and waiting and finally pulled the trigger. I left the original order up so I could see it first. There really isn't anything that looked in any way shape or form used on that Kindle. I am very very picky and I wouldn't have kept it had there been anything that bugged me. Its new, thats all I can say. You can do the same thing, keep your original order and get a refurb if they come up again and then you can always decide.
I feel most of the refurb Kindles are ones that were returned. Maybe ordered after the Oprah show. Once some of the people got them they did not think the Kindle was for them. I showed my Kindle to my famly on Thanksgiving. They like it but did not think it was for them.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a question. I just noticed that when I go to the next page, I still have a faint image of the previous page on the screen. Like it looks dirty in between the letters. Its very noticable for example on the home menu when I go to the next page and the little amazon icons are clearly there still. Please tell me this is normal. In a book its less noticable, but I can see the very faint letters of the last page.  :eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
What a beautiful story.  I can only imagine how you felt.  I agree with sergirl, that story needed the "tear jerker" warning - I too am at work.   :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Atunah said:
I have a question. I just noticed that when I go to the next page, I still have a faint image of the previous page on the screen. Like it looks dirty in between the letters. Its very noticable for example on the home menu when I go to the next page and the little amazon icons are clearly there still. Please tell me this is normal. In a book its less noticable, but I can see the very faint letters of the last page. :eek:
It is completely normal. There is "ghosting" with the eInk but no burn in. You'll see it more with some pages rather than others. For example, when I connect the USB cable, a screen comes up. I find that one really "ghosts." The home page does too.

L

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, good. I mean its on every page turn, but very faint in books of course because of the text, but I can really see it when I go from a text page to a very empty page. Yes, the menus are mor obvious, I guess the Amazon logo so darker so it leaves a mark. As long as it is normal, I don't care. It doesn't bother me reading and I remember reading plenty of books that had that same effect, from printing I assume.

I haven't used the USB yet. I also have had the Whispernet on all morning, I want to see how long it can be on until I notice the battery going down. Its still full and I get 5 bars.

I already got my readers digest too.

I need some kind of voice prompt everytime I touch the one click loudly saying "DANGER DANGER"  :eek:

Thank you all for the kind words and letting me share my little ol story this morning. I think I will call my mom today, I feel like talking to her.
I haven't seen her or any of my family since 1995, so its been a bit rough sometimes. Plus I need to know how she makes the bohemian dumplings for someone on the board here.  ;D

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
What a sweet story, I am sniffing & my co-worker asks if I am OK. It touches me that you haven't seen your Mom for 14 years, I can't imagine. Thanks so much for sharing your Kindle story with all your Kindle friends. Mr. Atunah may be wanting him one now.  ;) Enjoy Atunah, I am so happy for you. Welcome to yet another Kindleholic!  :D

Linda

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Atunah, you have touched my heart and I'm sitting here crying.... had to read your story to my husband so he could share in the joy of your morning too.  We're so glad to have you here with us on the boards.... and we're so happy that the Kindle has enhanced your life... I know it has majorly improved mine!!  A German newspaper..... how cool!!!  Thanks so much for sharing your story!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Atunah, thanks for the update and the cake looks wonderful!  After your experience I'll keep checking Amazon to see if a "refurb" pops back up.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
We're all softies, I'm crying, too. :D

Congrats, on your new Kindle.  I wouldn't cancel the original order.  The hubby will be wanting one soon. ;)

Our first Kindle, I purchased for my husband for his birthday.  We fought over it for 3 very long days before I broke down and ordered one for myself. 

He tells everyone, I got a Kindle for his birthday.  When my birthday came around, we both got new M-edge covers. ;D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts