Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew it was going to happen eventually, but boy it stings when it does. Yesterday I sulked. Today I am over it and figure each comment will be helpful. But boy she really hated it. Out of curiosity, I looked to see what her other reviews were like and she didn't have any. I guess she hated mine enough to write one. She has a wish list and most of it is science fiction and non-fiction. Perhaps this wasn't her cup of tea. I guess I should be flattered LOL. Lesson learned, you can't please everyone. Take in the criticism, see what I can improve and move on. I am working on my second book and it is really making me get more in depth with the characters, story line, etc and paying more attention to details, etc.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Awww, commiserations and congratulations! That first 1 star review is always a kick in the guts, but it's also absolutely fine. Any time you get a wobble about it, just go and have a look at the reviews for your all time favourite book and you'll see a few 1 stars there to cheer you up  ;)  :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
As far as one star reviews, it really wasn't that bad! I've seen some that make me cringe. I get the impression that it just wasn't her type of book. It wouldn't deter me at all. Overall, your reviews are fantastic ;D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
writergirlNC said:
I knew it was going to happen eventually, but boy it stings when it does.
I'm with you there. I'd been riding the 3/4/5 star bus until today and - WHAM - a 1* and a 2* within hours of each other. 'I must brush it off as per advice', I said to myself. Still, it kinda sucks. What's worse is that I got a 5* on another book earlier today, but I don't know, somehow these low ones manage to knock all the wind out of the sails.

C'mon on tomorrow...be a goodie for us both! ;D

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
When I saw that I had gotten a one star, my first thought was, "Oh, thank God.  Now I don't have to worry about it anymore."  It is kind of freeing in its own way. 

And you do have wonderful reviews.  :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Haha, welcome to the club!

To be honest, I'm of the opinion that as long as you have enough good reviews to be able to take a hit, the odd one star actually adds a bit of authenticity to your rankings. All great books have one star reviews and I'm always suspicious of a book that has straight four/five star reviews.  If it drags you below 4.0 though (as a torpedo on one of my books is doing) then that sucks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Got two 2stars on Goodreads for seperate books, mysteriously one of them was removed by the reviewer. I noticed when my average had gone up for that book, and the number of ratings had went down  ???

Still got one two star. The thing that stings the most is that they did not leave any review or explanation- not even one sentence.

But who cares, its just GR.

I haven't got a two star yet on Amazon, probably because I haven't got that many reviews to begin with!

Doesn't matter. Some of the most popular books have a range of reviews.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
writergirlNC said:
I knew it was going to happen eventually, but boy it stings when it does. Yesterday I sulked. Today I am over it and figure each comment will be helpful. But boy she really hated it. Out of curiosity, I looked to see what her other reviews were like and she didn't have any. I guess she hated mine enough to write one. She has a wish list and most of it is science fiction and non-fiction. Perhaps this wasn't her cup of tea. I guess I should be flattered LOL. Lesson learned, you can't please everyone. Take in the criticism, see what I can improve and move on. I am working on my second book and it is really making me get more in depth with the characters, story line, etc and paying more attention to details, etc.
The reviewer appears to be a medical professional - a Doctor. Possibly her opinion with regard to things like the response of coma patients is less tolerant than that of most people.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
There's always a cost. Reach a wider audience, pay the price. Get a few more impulse buys, take the heat.

If nobody hates you, you're playing too safe.  :)

G

·
I have tons of horrible reviews on my shorts which are just meant to be mindlessly violent fun and definitely not for everyone, but have yet to get below a 3 on my novels yet... I'm sure there's a stickler for realism waiting in the wings soon enough though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts