Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some money in my account at Fiverr since Bknights refunded me for a failed promo attempt a month or so ago. Instead of just letting it sit there and taunt me, I decided to spend it on promoting the first story in a series that does absolutely nothing for me. It's a series of stories that are a lot of fun to write, but I don't know how to place them. They aren't quite urban fantasy. They aren't quite police procedural. They just kind of live in their own space. I do think people would like them if they found them, though. That's why I decided to redo the covers and make the first story free and see what happened.

Other than the bknights mention, I did no other site promotion. I mentioned it in a few FB groups and promoted it from my author page, but we all know that the reach on FB isn't what it used to be. I've also mentioned it a few times on Twitter. Other than that, it was bknights and that's all. By noon, I had close to 100 downloads. Now, just a couple hours later, it's almost at 170.

I'm stunned, to say the least. And if you wanted to check it out, the story is here.

http://amzn.to/vJZK70

Not sure if anyone is interested in the results, but I'll try to update this thread some throughout the week.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Very Nice. :)

Getting free downloads is actually very easy. Well, maybe "easy" isn't the right word. It's more accurate to say it's not complicated, just a lot of grind work. I got about 2000 downloads for my book without spending a dime. Did full Social Media promotions and submitted my book to a bunch of free submission promo sites. Took a while, but got pretty nice results for a $0 budget.

And this is with a crappy cover, title and blurb. I wonder how well it would have gone with something better. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to a free run a couple years ago with the same book. This was before all the book recommendation email services became so popular. Or before I knew about them, at least. I think I had roughly 70 downloads for the three days. So closing in on 200 in the afternoon of Day 1 makes me happy. Of course, I'll be happier if it leads to sales of other books. Really, though, I'm just liking the exposure.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
One of those downloads is from here.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cinisajoy said:
One of those downloads is from here.
Thanks so much. I appreciate that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone. Now I just hope you like it whenever it comes up in your TBR pile.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm at 261 downloads so far and #1 in 45 minute Literature and Fiction short reads and #2 in 45 minute Science Fiction and Fantasy short reads. It's ranked #761 in the Kindle store. I'm a little stunned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts