Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been posting here a while without an introduction, and thought I would remedy that.

I'm Courtney Milan. I'm a traditionally published author of historical romance. I'm relatively new in my career (first full-length book published in 2010), but I've had some really great response to my work so far from all the usual suspects: starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist, a RITA final for my first novella, and my second book was chosen as one of Publishers Weekly's Best Books of 2010.

And...as of a few days ago, I am also an indie published author. I posted my first novella, UNLOCKED, to Amazon, Apple, B&N, All Romance eBooks, (Smashwords coming soon)...and more. B&N is taking its merry time about posting it, but everything else is live or near live. The novella links in with my traditionally published series.

So am I an indie or a traditionally published author? I don't know. What does it matter? We're all just authors, of various stripes, right?

So, hello! And if I had known that indie publishing was so much fun, I'd have done this earlier!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Congrats, Courtney!  I'm sure your readers will be delighted to see another offering from you.  Just think how much more frequently you can put out new work as an indie!  Gorgeous covers, btw.  Good luck!  Lisa

·
Registered
627 Posts
Courtney Milan said:
So am I an indie or a traditionally published author? I don't know. What does it matter? We're all just authors, of various stripes, right?
That's the quote of the day, I love it :) And welcome!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congratulations on taking the plunge. Just consider this a move that instantly broaden your publishing platform. Best wishes!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Congratulations, Courtney!!!

I need to look into All Romance eBooks. Is it basically the same as publishing on Amazon and B&N?

Thanks,

Anne Marie  :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

AnneMarie Novark said:
Congratulations, Courtney!!!

I need to look into All Romance eBooks. Is it basically the same as publishing on Amazon and B&N?
I officially love ARe right now. It's the same basic concept as publishing on Amazon and B&N. There are some differences, though. You need an ISBN, though (although I've been told that there's someone you can e-mail and they'll give you one?). You also get a flat 60% on sales--no matter what the cover price is--so I've been making almost 60 cents per sale on my 99 cent novella at ARe.

If you can get your work up as a PDF, the format sells a lot of copies there. You'll have to provide all the different formats yourself--the vast majority of my sales have been in PDF, epub, with a smaller number in mobi, and a very tiny number of HTML and LIT files sold.

But I'm a huge believer in ARe right now. When I set up with them, I thought they would be a smallish-site. But so far, they have seriously rocked my world. I've sold more copies on Amazon, but when you factor in the higher royalty at ARe, they're close, dollar for dollar. If you write romance, you should try to get your books up there.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Congrats, Courtney! I have UNLOCKED and am looking forward to reading it soon!

Courtney Milan said:
I officially love ARe right now. It's the same basic concept as publishing on Amazon and B&N. There are some differences, though. You need an ISBN, though (although I've been told that there's someone you can e-mail and they'll give you one?). You also get a flat 60% on sales--no matter what the cover price is--so I've been making almost 60 cents per sale on my 99 cent novella at ARe.
Yes. You can email Lori to get the # after they approve your publisher request.

·
Registered
489 Posts
love historical romance!
Can't wait to read your novella. :D

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Courtney, welcome!  It is always great to hear from another writer.  I hope you find as much success and joy in it as I have.  It has been an amazing ride with the Amazon platform.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
OMG, you're already at #85 in the Kindle store!  Amazing.  Congrats, and may you have many more sales!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, everyone. Sales of the novella have been unreal beyond my wildest expectations. Honestly.

My traditionally published books have *never* sold like this. Never.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts