Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the animated cover for my new short story, My Grandfather's Skeleton. It's a bit of science-fiction, a bit of family drama, and a bit of a love story, set a few years in the future. It'll get you through an afternoon, and if you like it, I've got a few more stories to share.

You can grab it here:

Thanks and look forward to hearing what you think.

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Kiyash, and congratulations on your book!

(If you've gotten this welcome before, it's just as a matter of housekeeping. We like to put a copy of the "welcome letter" in each book thread. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it just helps us know that you know the rules.)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adding a little intro tease:

Grandpa was missing.

Sometime in the night, he'd gotten up, unhooked himself from a variety of instruments and medicated drips, and walked out of the hospital, and no one knew why, and no one knew where he was.

Dad and Mom, after getting the phone call at three in the morning, told me I should just go to school as usual and let them handle it. That morning, while my parents gave a description to a pair of police officers, I rode my bike to school, half expecting to see Grandpa sitting by the side of the road somewhere in a hospital gown.

I kept my phone on all morning, but there was no news. Grandpa Lucas had disappeared, and with his heart already feeble, each passing moment made it more and more likely that we would not see him alive again. It was impossible to pay any attention in class, and at noon I gave up and rode home.

To find out what happens next, you can grab the story here:

Or, you can read the whole thing for free online at www.kiyash.com/GrandfathersSkeleton

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought I'd add a nice bit of press this story received recently on the Futurismic blog (a fascinating read at all times, with lots of signals and inspiration for anyone interested in realistic science-fiction).

Paul Raven, who edits the blog, linked to the free online text of the story, and described it this way:

"It's simple, poignant and not too long, and I think you should go and read it."

It's about as much information as I'd want anyone to know going in :) Paul was also good enough to post the first few paragraphs and the animated cover (already included in this thread as well).

So if you're looking for something simple, poignant, and not too long, might I recommend you take Paul's advice?

You can read the story for free here,

or you can grab it for Kindle at My Grandfather's Skeleton.

Either way, I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got a mostly very nice review from Book Brouhaha for this story!

Here's a nice pull quote:

Monsef's writing is good, drawing the reader in and presenting a well crafted short story about life and death and the way our relationships are affected by them. Both the grandfather and the grandson are realistic characters that the reader cares about almost instantly. The plot is well paced and interesting ... Presented by a lesser writer, this story could have been overly saccharine. However, Monsef's skill keeps the heartwarming nature of the piece respectably subtle.
You can read the whole review here: http://bookbrouhaha.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-of-my-grandfathers-skeleton-by.html

The reviewer takes issue with one aspect of the story, and I'll say right now that the piece s/he criticized was a very deliberate storytelling choice on my part, and one I totally stand behind. It may not work for everyone, but I believe it was the correct way to tell the story, and I'd actually be curious to hear what other people think.

It's a freebie to read online: www.kiyash.com/GrandfathersSkeleton. If you want to pick it up for the road, you can buy it here for your Kindle:

Take a look, and leave a note if you have any thoughts. I'd love to hear them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts