Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two lost their only son; age 16, to a seizure. I can't begin to imagine their pain. They seem like a nice family compared to the crazy Hollywood standards. So sad. Money and fame certainly do not matter in situations such as that. I feel for them as parents...none should ever have to go through something so tragic. Tragedy knows no bounds.

We've had a couple of family tragedies similar; and those effected, are never the same. The worst being:

I had a beautiful blonde hair blue-eyed cousin killed on the job. A coworker went bonkers and shot up the place killing her. She was a waitress and had the day off; got a call asking her to trade days with another waitress as a favor...boy when it's your destiny.

She was at the cash register...never saw the man do it; he came from behind, put the gun to her back and blew her away along with 7 others. He was one of the co-owners of the restaurant and thought that the staff was trying to poison him. He killed coworkers and patrons. She left behind two teenage children, her parents a brother and a sister. Her family has never been the same and this was a good 30+ years ago. I was a kid when it happened and her Mom (My Dad's sister) was at my house when she got the news; I will never forget it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I saw this too and was saddened by it.  John Travolta always spoke about his children, they must be devastated.

Sorry, also, to hear about your family tragedy.  I just cannot imagine the pain.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree. The Travoltas really seemed to be down to earth, warm, loving people. I was astonished when I heard the news. One of the few celebrities that I'd send condolences to, and I will.

I just found his fan mailing address for those who want to do the same:
John Travolta
PO Box 3560
Santa Barbara CA 93130

SJC - It's very hard to understand the trauma your family has suffered and survived. To echo Diana, I just cannot imagine the shock of experiencing something like that. I've had one horrific incident that indelibly marked me so I do have an inkling. There experiences that time & memories can't erase...

Marci

G

·
That's so sad.  I also really like John Travolta as and actor.  He is secure enough in himself that he is not afraid to take on some of the stranger roles that come along(Hairspray) 

Loss of a child must leave such a void in a parent's heart.  I can't imagine it.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My sister is 7 years younger than myself.  She was born with spina bifida.  There are three degrees; she has the most severe of the three.  She has spent soooo much time in the hospital over the years, having, to date,  a total of 32 surgeries.  That does not count all of the various procedures that would happen on sometimes a daily basis.  We are very very fortunate that, although her life expectancy was 12, she is still alive and doing well at 41.  But, everyday I wake up and wonder is this the day.  I have lived my whole life with a bag packed in case I have to hurry to the hospital.  We have lost her or came close to losing her on many occasions. 
My heart goes out to the Travolta family as they go through this time that they were probably aware could happen, but hoped it never would.  I pray the media is respectful and kind as they have to mourn in front of millions.  And I pray for their daughter. 

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drenee: We all have our crosses to bear; but what a gift to still have your sister far beyond what was originally stated. It surely makes one appreciate life.

I'm sure the Travolta's little girl Ella, is devastated. The lives of these people will be forever changed; they are in my thoughts and prayers. I too, hope the media leaves them to grieve in peace.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
She is indeed a miracle.  I am a MUCH better person for knowing her.  I can't imagine what life would be like had I not went through all of the things I have with her and because of her.  She has the most optimistic outlook on life.  She has been wheelchair bound since she was about 14, doesn't drive, lives with my dad, and is generally a happy person. 

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was reading about this last night, I cannot imagine how devastating the loss of a child can be and my heart goes out to the Travolta family.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with them, what a tragedy. I have always considered John Travolta as one of the good guys in Hollywood. He is a genuine and sensitive man. I remember seeing him after 911 on Oprah with some firemen and he was crying like a baby. I liked the fact that they stayed out of the limelight and led as normal a life as possible when you are a celebrity. Jett was a handsome young man.

Linda

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
One of the things I have always admired about John Travolta and his wife is that they deeply loved and enjoyed their son. I am sorry to learn of the loss. It is doubly sad because their son was so young. Parents never get over the loss of a child. But I am thinking that their boy's life was well lived and and he was well loved.

And that is the deal for all of us. One of the most important parts of living is loving well. Make sure your relationships are in order and enjoy the people you love. Eventually, we all know loss. But the loss is made bearable by good memories and knowing, really knowing, that you have no regrets.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My 12 year old grandson has a seizure disorder, which is being controlled by medication. His Dr. does not want him to take baths, just showers in case of a seizure. There is always the fear of drowning. My daughter and son-in-law are always worried that he will have a seizure and hurt himself. He is lucky, because medication seems to be very effective for him and they believe he will outgrow the seizures. He is very active and plays sports for the school. He was allowed to have a specially made football helmet and his Dr. lets him do most sports as long as he is well supervised. They will start slowly reducing his medication when he turns 13 next year and hopefully have him off it by the time he is 16.

My prayers and thoughts are with the Travolta's during this time.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Tippy said:
One of the things I have always admired about John Travolta and his wife is that they deeply loved and enjoyed their son. I am sorry to learn of the loss. It is doubly sad because their son was so young. Parents never get over the loss of a child. But I am thinking that their boy's life was well lived and and he was well loved.

And that is the deal for all of us. One of the most important parts of living is loving well. Make sure your relationships are in order and enjoy the people you love. Eventually, we all know loss. But the loss is made bearable by good memories and knowing, really knowing, that you have no regrets.

How wonderfully put. I have always said to my kids, especially during the teenage years, whatever decisions you make just remember to have no regrets.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Travolta family. I cannot imagine the loss of a child.

My girlfriend lost her daughter who was about to turn 20...about 9 years ago. A good 3 months out of the year she's so so very sad, not that other times she isn't but around the general time and the holidays it's hard for her. My girlfriend is my concert buddy and we'll meet up for Air Supply shows and there was one song in their set about two years ago that always brought her to tears so I always had tissues ready for her. I just can't imagine the sadness, the loss, the void, the emptiness that she goes through each and every day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts