Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put it to sleep and when I came back it won't wake up. I tried turning it off and back on, but it's still just on the screensaver. Never had this happen before.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I've had it happen on my K1 before. All you need to do is take off the battery cover on the back of the Kindle. There is a little hole that says reset. Use a paperclip and push it in for a second. The Kindle will restart. You will be able to tell by the silver bar above the scroll wheel. It will slowly move up until it has finished resetting the Kindle.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've reset it before, but I've never had to do it because it wouldn't wake up. Before it just wouldn't turn on, but that was months ago. I thought maybe it was out of battery but I guess that isn't it since it wouldn't wake when I plugged it in.

·
Registered
860 Posts
This has happened to my K1 a couple of times.  I've always been able to "fix" it with a hard reset.  The soft reset never worked.  And when it happens with my K, it'll happen two or three times in a row and then not again for a couple of months.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that is what happened with mine before. I got it back up and the battery is fine, still 1/2 charge. Not sure why it did it this time. At least it's working.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Rasputina said:
Yeah, that is what happened with mine before. I got it back up and the battery is fine, still 1/2 charge. Not sure why it did it this time. At least it's working.
Glad it's working for you again! ;D

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Wow scary.I would probably be panicked ,but that's me hehe
Glad it is working fine now :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me and the reset got it back up. Glad it worked for you as well.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I had that happen to me just the other day, but mine would not go to the next page.  Had to do a hard reset, this is the second time.  I keep my battery fully charged, hope this does not become a habit  :-\

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I hope it doesn't become a habit too. I think the first time it did it a few months ago was because of overload from indexing as I'd added a lot of content at once. Had to hard reset it 2x. That had me panicked. 

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright I'm starting to get worried. I set it down and was gone longer than expected and instead of putting itself onto the screensaver it was just a blank screen like it was turned off. It has done this 2x in the last 24 hours and both times I couldn't get it up without a hard reset, the most recent time it took 2 hard resets and it kept flipping to a all black screen and then to no screen like it was off. The battery should have been fine because it had at least 1/2 a battery both times when I got it up.

I'm afraid it's dying or something? I haven't added anything to it so it can't be an indexing memory issue.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a K1 and I don't have any hacks, not even the decal girl screensaver. Been too lazy to try installing the decal girl SS.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
They do say best practice is to have it plugged in when doing a reset. . . especially if the battery is half or below.  Did you add a lot of content recently -- might be busy working on indexing in the background.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's good to know, because I couldn't get it to boot up without having it plugged in this morning. I bought 1 book a few days ago directly on my K and it downloaded fine. I don't think that could cause an indexing issue like this though. One book shouldn't cause this to happen.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't know. I had a K1 until I got my DX, and that sounds like it's version of a crash (which I experienced a few times, mostly when trying to use the browser). Sounds like it's crashing/locking up when trying to go to sleep.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts