Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I went to hear my favorite "fun" author, Tim Dorsey, speak at my local library. I have all his books on my Kindle, so I figured hey, why buy a dead tree book just to get a signature?

It was his first Kindle signing, so he took a photo of it, too.

Maybe I should finally skin my Kindle so the signature is protected, though it was signed with a permanent Sharpie. And maybe I'll collect a few more signatures down the road. Who'd'a thunk a Kindle would become my techno-adult version of the autograph bear?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You must have the BEST local library on the planet
Indeed! A shout out to the staff at the Lake Wales Public Library in the tiny town of Lake Wales, Florida, as well as to Mr. Dorsey for visiting annually for 10 years now. :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Essensia said:
Indeed! A shout out to the staff at the Lake Wales Public Library in the tiny town of Lake Wales, Florida, as well as to Mr. Dorsey for visiting annually for 10 years now. :)
Lake Wales is great with the bell tower and the backwards hill. Haven't been there in forever.

Some of these small towns know how to get the authors. My friends are moving to a small town in NC and they have an author in for discussion and signing nearly every month. I think that's why they decided to move there.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Wow, that's cool, but I'm not sure I would've actually let someone write on my Kindle...favorite author or not!

L

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Leslie said:
Wow, that's cool, but I'm not sure I would've actually let someone write on my Kindle...favorite author or not!

L
Me neither. Even with a Sharpie it could wear off. I think I'd have had him sign a bookmark or something like that that I could then keep with the Kindle. And what if . . . .gasp!. . . .something happens and you have to send it back. . . . .

Definitely protect it. If not with a skin maybe some type of sealer. Though I don't know what would be safe to use. . . . .There's a thread somewhere about where someone found a template to design their own skins. Maybe you could design a "clear" one so the autograph could be seen through it.

Ann

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Maybe you could design a "clear" one so the autograph could be seen through it.

Ann
Contact Decagirl and see if they would do a clear one for you. There might even be others who want a clear skin...

Betsy

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
...Definitely protect it. If not with a skin maybe some type of sealer. Though I don't know what would be safe to use. . . . .
I have a keyboard that had a tendency for the letters to wear off within a few short months, then I'd have to write the company and get new letter keys. When I got the last batch, Wife said, "Let me try something". She took the keyboard and came back with it a bit later. Though I couldn't tell any difference, the letters never wore off again.

Her solution? Clear finger nail polish. Worked like a charm. I bet it would work great to protect the signature as well.

Edit - I'd test it on a Sharpie mark somewhere else first to make sure that the FNP doesn't make the signature run...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are wonderful ideas about the clear skin and clear nail polish.  Thank you!  I read for a few hours last night and kept worrying about touching the signature.  I think I'll try DecalGirl first because I don't quite trust myself with nail polish.

It took about 15 minutes of pondering before I decided oh, what the heck, and asked for the signature.  Not sure what I'll do if I have to send it back someday.  But it sure was fun!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You could have a white skin - get it signed - take it off and put it in a binder. Another white skin, another signature. Repeat...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts