Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting Kindle day today...

I was traveling from my home in Maine to Chicago. My flight got delayed by 8 hours but that's another story.

When I got on the plane, the guy who sat down next to me looked at my Kindle and said, "Oh, you have one of those, too? I bought one of those things a few weeks ago."

Then he pulled out his "thing" (otherwise known as a bare, nekkid Kindle) from his backpack and started reading it. No cover, no skin. The poor thing was shivering in front of me. I sincerely doubt this man is a KBoards member since he had no interest in talking about Kindles or Kindle accessories. He didn't want to talk, period. But he was busy reading.

The flight attendant made him turn his off, but didn't say anything to me. Probably my Oberon cover. If anyone was wavering on buying one, now you have a reason.

Meanwhile, I had gotten myself completely absorbed in a very sweet and fun story. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

Once I got on the ground, got my bag, got on the shuttle...the light was fading. Hm, said I. So I pulled out my iPhone, downloaded the book from the archive (on the spot!!!) and happily read during the shuttle ride to the city (which included some time being stalled in traffic). The other passengers looked bored and anxious. I could care less. I was busy reading about the cattle drive from Texas to Colorado.

At the hotel, I am starving. I decide to splurge on a fancy dinner in the restaurant and through the whole meal, I am happily reading my Kindle (same story). But...you guys are not going to believe this....I LEFT IT ON THE TABLE IN THE RESTAURANT!!!! What was wrong with me? I must have been tired.

Fortunately, I charged my meal to the room and so they had my name and room number. The very helpful young woman (yes, I gave her $5) called me and said, "You left your purple folder here in the restaurant..." Ack! Purple folder! I was down there in a flash.

All in all, this has been a good Kindle day with a few stressful moments.

L

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Leslie said:
Then he pulled out his "thing" (otherwise known as a bare, nekkid Kindle) from his backpack and started reading it. No cover, no skin. The poor thing was shivering in front of me.
;D Oh dear. Now I'm convinced I'll have to buy a cover.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Whoa Leslie!  Quite a story.  The Kindle God was with you!  But calling your beautiful Oberon cover a 'purple folder'. . . now that's just wrong! 

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Phew, you had a travel day similar to mine - - only worse!! Our flight from SeaTac to JFK was seriously delayed because of weather in NYC. Carrie and I were happy to use our Kindles to kill time while waiting.

The flight attendant made him turn his off, but didn't say anything to me. Probably my Oberon cover. If anyone was wavering on buying one, now you have a reason.
I never thought of that and, given how often I'm on an airplane these days, I just might have to go for a more "journal"-looking cover. I hate turning off my electronics during take-off and landing and I've invented several ways to hold my iPhone that buy me a little more time on it before the aircraft doors close.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tippy said:
Whoa Leslie! Quite a story. The Kindle God was with you! But calling your beautiful Oberon cover a 'purple folder'. . . now that's just wrong!
Clearly she had no idea what it was...I don't know if she even opened it. On the phone she said, "You left your....your...I guess I'd call it your purple folder..."

The coolest part of the whole day was downloading the book to my iphone on the shuttle and being able to continue to read. Since the shuttle was dark and the iphone has a light, it worked great. I debated pulling my Kindle out with my portable booklight but that just seemed too much trouble. The iphone solution was really cool.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harvey said:
Phew, you had a travel day similar to mine - - only worse!! Our flight from SeaTac to JFK was seriously delayed because of weather in NYC. Carrie and I were happy to use our Kindles to kill time while waiting.
They must have really been having some terrible weather in NYC. Yesterday at the airport, they were cancelling flights left and right. I was sitting in the middle of a gang of Newark bound travelers who were supposed to leave at 2 pm. When I boarded my flight at 5:15, the estimate for the Newark flight was 7:45. Those poor people.

L

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Leslie, I loved your description of the "thing" bare, nekkid Kindle.  I was actually laughing out loud reading about the (poor thing shivering in front of you) and woke my dog up.  Your whole story was entertaining until you left your Kindle in the restaurant, I would have had a panic attack, thank goodness the waitress was so prompt to alert you to your lost "purple folder" (that is just wrong)!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Leslie said:
They must have really been having some terrible weather in NYC. Yesterday at the airport, they were cancelling flights left and right. I was sitting in the middle of a gang of Newark bound travelers who were supposed to leave at 2 pm. When I boarded my flight at 5:15, the estimate for the Newark flight was 7:45. Those poor people.

L
It rained all day yesterday with a pretty bad thunder storm passing through around 1pm. I was sitting in my car outside of DD's school waiting for dismissal...reading to kill the time. A rather big boomer hit and I jumped, Jinx jumped and the car rattled :eek: I kept thinking of DD's teacher who was getting married at 3:30 that day...thankfully the sun came out as she arrived and it reappeared as they were leaving the church and started raining as they headed off to their reception.

Glad you and Harvey arrived at your destinations safely even if delayed :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am considered a member of the press at this conference I am at and so I get access to the super-secret press room. LOL. The best thing about that place is that they have FREE FOOD! I headed over there this morning to get some breakfast and was happily reading my K, when the press coordinator for the conference came over and started asking alot of questions. Oh well, no more reading for me.

I did manage to finish one book and start a second one during the boring sessions, however.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pomlover2586 said:
OMG! I'm glad your Kindle wasn't stolen! :eek:
I know. I really was very, very lucky.

More updates: while reading at the boring session, one of the nurses stopped and said, "Oh, what's that?" She'd never seen a skinned Kindle and instantly fell in love. LOL. She owns a Kindle 1, obviously not skinned but I didn't get to ask her what she was using for a cover. I did give her a link to visit us here. Hopefully she'll join up!

L

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
What a great story. I have to say, I think the cover does help when flying. I've noticed since I have started using the Oberon cover, the flight attendants seem to walk by without realizing what I'm reading. I hate having to turn it off when I'm in the middle of a good book.

You nearly gave me a heart attack with the poor left Kindle. Glad it worked out. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've only ever seen one other person in real life with a Kindle, and theirs was bare as well. Getting skins is one of the most fun parts of owning one, but I suppose that's because I'm an "enlightened" KB member.  ;)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm pretty sure I would have wet myself if I realized I left my Kindle behind... Very glad you got yours back!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I had an experience today that I am not sure I'll top anytime soon. It was very unbelieveable...and good!

First off, I know I am prone to exaggeration but every single following word is true. I am not making this up.

With that, I think people realize I am here in Chicago to attend HIMSS09. This is a huge conference. I heard there are 24,850 people registered this year. I live in a city with 16,000 people. Let's just say, it's big.

At noon, I went and heard Dennis Quaid speak. He was actually very good and looked good too, but didn't look quite like this ;D.

He just wore a shirt and jacket (no tie). Oh well. He was very good, though, and told a compelling story about his twin children and their brush with life due to a medical error. You can learn more about it here.

After Dennis, it was time for me to hit the exhibit hall. This is one of those conferences with absolutely an absolutely ENORMOUS exhibit display. My AA had set up a bunch of appointments for me, so I was dutifully going from one to another, listening to the sales pitches, talking about my journal -- doing the usual routine that I have done a zillion times before.

Then I get to Kroll Ontrack, which is a data recovery service. I am thinking, "This will be dull." Obviously they realize that everyone thinks that so they have some very cool items on display, like a laptop that was destroyed in a fire and they still managed to get the data off the hard drive. I should have taken a picture of the laptop, actually. They also recovered data from two of the three computers after the Columbia space shuttle disaster.

I listen to the sales pitch and the we finish up and I am thanking Jeff for his time (and silently thanking him for actually making the presentation interesting) when he says to me, "Leslie, don't you have something to do with the Amazon Kindle?" and I said, "Um...wha...?" I was completely dumbfounded.

Then he said, "I asked to set up a briefing with you at this conference because I knew you had something to do with the Kindle."

Now I am even more flabbergasted. He wanted to set up a briefing with me because of the Kindle? This barely makes sense. I manage to gather my wits and said, "Well, yes, the Kindle...I am the author of The Amazon Kindle FAQ which is sort of an Amazon bestseller."

Jeff said, "Yes, yes, that's where I saw your name. My daughter wants me to buy her a Kindle."

As he is saying this, I am opening my purse and pulling out my beloved "purple folder." I said, "Here, let me give you a demo."

He takes it from me and literally shouts, "GET OUTTA HERE! YOU HAVE ONE!"

"Of course I have one," I said. "I never leave home without it." And then, I proceeded to give him a 10 minute demonstration, told him all about my 10 year old niece Vivian and her Kindle, and finished with, "I really think you need to buy your daughter one."

And he said, "I think she has a Kindle in her future!"

He looked at the screen one more time and said, "This screen is really sweet."

I said, "Yes, it is, and it is a well-known fact that you can't share Kindles so," (big sigh on my part,) "you better plan on buying two."

Man oh man, I wish I could get a commission for this! LOL.

Unfortunately, because I was so flustered, I didn't get a picture of Jeff, the booth, or Jeff holding "the purple folder." In fact, the only picture I got was of Dennis Q. speaking and you guys are going to just have to trust me that this is really him on on the jumbotron (and at the podium).

I just realized, I might have to rename Hugh to be "the purple folder." LOL.

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
That is such a great story, Leslie!!  How awesome that the man actually wanted a meeting with you. 
Thanks for sharing.  I just knew you'd have a good story to tell. 
Have a safe trip home today.
deb

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
And here I thought it was leading up to actually meeting Dennis Quaid and showing HIM the Kindle... :D

Still a very cool story! :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts