Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a weird day today.  I went out to run errands, when I got to the Container Store I waited for a salesperson so I could complete my Elfa order.  When we went to the counter I put down my K2 and my purse.  He saw it and asked "is that a Kindle", apparently his wife wanted one and I spent the next 10 minutes demonstrating it for him.  He tells me it will be 45 minutes for them to gather up my order, so I wander outside.  I go into Sears and a salesgirl calls out across the store from the desk "do you need any help" quickly followed by "hey is that a Kindle" and I swear I didn't even see her move and suddenly she was at my elbow.  She apparently wanted one, and had glimpsed one just the other day but when she called out to the guy he rushed away (he probably thought she was going to mug him for it).  So another demonstration, she exclaimed how it really does look like paper, and wants two for Christmas, one for her and one for boyfriend.  When a coworker tried to get her attention, she waved her off.  I left and walked into Whole Foods thinking I should grab a coffee.  The lady behind the counter peers over and asks what that thing I'm reading.  I tell her it's a Kindle and she talks about seeing the president of Amazon on the news and she thought it was pretty cool.  No demonstration, I just wanted my bloody coffee and she had more customers.  I finish my coffee and sign up for a 10 minute chair massage.  When I put my stuff down the guy sees the closed Kindle case and goes "hey, you've got one of those Kindles" and asked me how I liked it.  Then I went back to the Container Store to pick up my order.  While I'm waiting for them to bring out the cart, the sales girl asks what I'm reading, now I have THREE employees around me asking questions and poking buttons. 

So in an hour I gave a ton of demonstrations.  Before I only had a handful of people in public give it interested looks but not like this.  The advertising is working.  I didn't hear one "it's HOW much" comment, just lots of really excited comments.  I felt like one of those friends of a celebrity, yep you're surrounded by people, but no one is actually interested in you, they want the famous person, in this case, my K2.

I did tell the Sears girl and the Container Store guy buying one for his wife about KB, and they wrote down the address.  So we may see them here one day.

Lara Amber     

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
That's a fun story, Lara!

I love it when people ask me about my Kindle. Thanks for steering them to this site!!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I have no idea what you guys do -- I have yet to have anybody ask me. Maybe I just don't look approachable or I'm sitting at the wrong angle. I don't try to call attention to it, but I certainly don't hide it either. I guess I just want to testify!  ;D

As some of you know, I've been away from home for months, but we're on our way home now. I had my Oberons sent there, so maybe when Trixie has her really pretty covers people will compliment her.  :)

I'm also a little nervous to see if I'll have the wireless of not. According to the map, I should have the 1X and I've seen message boards dedicated to campers and canoers who've mentioned a Spring signal -- I do love in the boonies -- but until I see it for myself...

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I was traveling all day yesterday. No one asked about my Kindle or seemed the least bit curious. The guy next to me on the plane had one, too, but he didn't want to chat beyond telling me he bought it a few weeks ago when I asked him how long he had owned it.

L

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Wow, that's funny, Lara! We'll have to give you a Kindle Ambassador medal. :D

I was at the eye doctor on Thursday and pulled it out while waiting, and one of the office technicians said "hey, is that one of those...book things? That looks cool!"  But that was all, she didn't have time for (or at least didn't ask for) a demo or ask any questions.

At another doctor's office a couple of weeks ago, I had it out several times as I moved around from waiting room to exam room to stick-the-needle-in-my-arm-and-take-out-all-my-blood room, but no one said a thing.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
On a flight 2 weeks ago I sat next to 2 women who both are going to get one for Mother's Day.  They were so excited to see mine.  I also told them about the kindle boards.  Told them to lurk here and find out everything kindle before they get theirs. 

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just this morning, I gave a 15 minute demo in a bagel shop.  Two men were interested, one particularly for his Mom.  Part of my short-version demo is the ability to change font sizes, so that was impressive to him right away.  I also pointed out that if he wanted to he could buy the books and stage them for delivery to his Mom's Kindle if she wasn't into shopping the Kindle store.  I could have gone for another 30 minutes or so since I didn't even get to the dictionary or searching for words or highlighting text or...

Based on his comments on the way, I think I sold one.

Fed...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Great story Lara....did you get any reading in at all? :p

I took DD to the dr on Monday and her dr asked if that was a Kindle. I don't as many looks since I put a skin on it. I read each week that I take DD to flute lessons and it's the drum teacher who usually asks me about it, even mentioned that he was just telling someone he knows about the Kindle.

My UPS man asked me if I had a Kindle when he delivered my beta Oberon cover to me. He said he had gotten one for his mom and said he'd mention the cover to her. I guess he didn't play around with his mom's very much because he asked me how I liked mine. :p

When I treat myself to a couple of hours of sitting in the cafe at B&N, I'm usually enjoying my bagel and tea with some good reading time...people glance but don't come up to me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow, awesome story :)  I do get attention with my Kindle too but most of the time I think the guys are just trying to get my phone number but now I know the truth :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fun stories!  My Kindle has logged several flights in the 6 weeks I've had it.  I definitely notice people staring at it curiously.  People aren't shy asking about it either.  Generally, I don't mind the attention, but a woman on my last flight was talking so much, I couldn't read.  I think I'll start carrying headphones with me!

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Lara,
That is just great.
There a many who maintain that Amazon would sell more Kindles if they had retail stores.
But I believe that the momentum will build around those of us that have them using them in the public space.
I get asked about mine a lot.  And I just have the boring Amazon cover.  I do however have the DecalGirl Dissarray skin.
Oh, by the way how do you like your Elfa.  My DW and I just redid our walkin closet with Elfa.  Love it too.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Before the announcement of the K2 no one asked about my Kindle, but now I have someone on every flight ask me about it. I was eating lunch in the airport and had a lady approach me and ask to see it.

·
Super Moderator
67,487 Posts
Now that you mention it, Kathy, people seem, much more aware of it since the K2 announcement. . . I guess the publicity is working!

Ann

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
geoffthomas,

We used the Elfa freestanding decor shelves to redo our office.  We made a double desk with 3 shelves above, a section of shelves on one side, and a freestanding bookcase.  It's made a huge change.  We like it. I'm going to eventually post pictures on facebook once we finish getting everything sorted and clean the room.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
189 Posts
When dining out and reading my Kindle, I usually get questions, at least from my waiters/waitresses.  And then I get questions from other waitstaff that they've told about there being a Kindle in the restaurant.  Some have wanted to see one and are thrilled to get a chance for a demo.  Some are just curious if it's "one of those Kindle things" and don't want to see as much of the features.  Sometimes it's hard to get a chance to read, with all the questions.  :D  Still, it's fun to demonstrate a good number of the features that make the Kindle such a joy to own.

When I was flying recently, some of my seatmates commented that it was nice to be able to keep reading their paper books during takeoff and landing, but they did think the Kindle was kind of cool. 

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I went to Chapters and had a chat with this girl there about the Kindle yesterday. She's actually thinking about ordering one.  :) I should have gotten her number, you know... just in case she needs help with it.  ::)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts