Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beautiful new Kindle arrived yesterday afternoon with our UPS man - right as our first Halloween party guests were walking up the driveway.  DARN!!!!  I usually love to entertain, but honestly last night I was SO bummed we had guests coming - I wanted to PLAY!!!!  (the UPS guy usually comes earlier in the day - but just my luck it was a late day for him apparently)

I ran her (yes, I have determined my Kindle is a girl) up to my office and tore open the packaging.  She is SOOO pretty!  I plugged her in, promising more time to get acquainted later, and ran back down to my guests.

Finally, at 11:30 the last guests left, and sprinted back up to my office (taking the steps 3 at a time!).  I flipped the switch to on, and VOILA!  There were all of the sample chapters I had pre-ordered - plus Leslie's FAQ book of course.  I promised myself I would read through Leslie's whole book before trying to navigate around anything else, and I'm glad I did.  It really gave me a great perspective on how to use my new baby.  (Great job Leslie!)

So now this weekend I am supposed to be studying for my Geriatrics exam on Monday (nursing school).  But I am so enthralled and enchanted by my Kindle I was afraid I would not get any studying done.  So I made myself a deal this morning.  For every hour I spend studying I reward myself with 30 minutes of Kindle time.  So far, so good!

Now to think of a name for her.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,128 Posts
Colleen:Congrats on your new baby. I remember the day mine came in July. I spent the rest of the day reading. I like your deal for every hour you spend studying you get 30 minutes reading your Kindle.


Anne
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
cush said:
How about Florence (Nightingale)?
Hahahah, good choice, Cush! Or Lavinia Dock. I always liked that name and she was a pretty terrific nurse, too.

Colleen, I'm glad the FAQ book was a success for you! Thanks for your support.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Congrats colleen! I got mine yesterday and haven't been able to put it down! I've just been happily clicking away on amazon and gutenberg.org lining stuff up on it. I've been wanting to read Pride and Prejudice and just put it on my Kindle, can't wait to read!

I'm going to be awful and ask a question. I've been hunting Leslie's great FAQ book, but I must be skipping the section that explains if there is a way to re-name files on the Kindle home page. Leslie (or anyone really!), could you tell me which chappie I could find that answer in? Thanks!

Nemo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cush said:
How about Florence (Nightingale)?
PERFECT!!!! Florence it is! Oh that just fits so well! Now why didn't I think of that???

Thanks for the suggestion - I love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Colleen, congrats on your new Kindle!  I"ve had mine a week and last night, downloaded my third book.  I'm viciously reading at a rate that Superman would be proud of!!!  I tend to download one book at a time and read it to the end, and download another.  But give me time!  hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
I'm going to be awful and ask a question. I've been hunting Leslie's great FAQ book, but I must be skipping the section that explains if there is a way to re-name files on the Kindle home page. Leslie (or anyone really!), could you tell me which chappie I could find that answer in? Thanks!

Nemo
To be honest, I don't have that in there. To use it, you have use Mobi2Mobi and change the metadata for the book, which to me, veers into the realm of "geeky-technical" and not "frequently asked." So I didn't include it and I actually haven't done it. It seems most people are changing book titles on the home page for free books or books not from Amazon and that also started to veer into "geeky-technical" territory. Since the vast majority of the stuff on my Kindle has come from Amazon, I really haven't had to change the titles of books. The few that are funky I can live with.

Nemo, I'd suggest going over to the Tips and Tricks board and starting a new topic with that question. I know there are lots of people here who have actually done it and can give you step by step directions. And if you start it as a thread over there, it will be more visible to others, rather than buried here in a welcome message.

Thanks...!

L
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
What, not Cherry (Cherry Ames)? Does any one but me remember her??

Betsy
I remember Cherry Ames. I even had the Cherry Ames Game! I wish I still had it. It's probably worth a bundle, somewhere...LOL

Unfortunately, poor Cherry didn't have the best reputation in the world of professional nurses. There was always some feeling that her goal was to meet a doctor and be able to quit nursing to stay at home as a wife and mother. I think at the end of the series she actually did.

But on the other hand, who can resist a title like Dude Ranch Nurse? LOL.

L

PS, here's a trivia question: do you pronounce it Cherry, like the fruit, or Sherry, like the drink? I've heard both. I've always been a hard ch Cherry, myself.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
You're absolutely right about the geekiness of it, Leslie, but here's why I would like to do it.  If I buy a book in a series, I like to read them in order.  I put my paper books in order on the book shelf if they're in a series.  But typically, you can't tell from the title which book comes 1st in a series.  I'll likely use the mobi2mobi (when I figure it out) to chagne the titles so that the series and ordinal is in the title:  J D Robb's Eve Dallas Series might be ED#!--Glory in Death, etc.  So even the books from Amazon I would want to rename.

But I understand that it's not a FAQ.  I'm going to figure it out eventually, though!

Betsy
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
I remember Cherry Ames. I even had the Cherry Ames Game! I wish I still had it. It's probably worth a bundle, somewhere...LOL

Unfortunately, poor Cherry didn't have the best reputation in the world of professional nurses. There was always some feeling that her goal was to meet a doctor and be able to quit nursing to stay at home as a wife and mother. I think at the end of the series she actually did.

But on the other hand, who can resist a title like Dude Ranch Nurse? LOL.

L

PS, here's a trivia question: do you pronounce it Cherry, like the fruit, or Sherry, like the drink? I've heard both. I've always been a hard ch Cherry, myself.
I always pronounced it Cherry like the fruit. I can see the perspective of the professional nurses, but I can say as a little girl, I loved these books about working women--I also had the Vicky Barr Flight Stewardess... (and also the Trixie Belden series).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
You're absolutely right about the geekiness of it, Leslie, but here's why I would like to do it. If I buy a book in a series, I like to read them in order. I put my paper books in order on the book shelf if they're in a series. But typically, you can't tell from the title which book comes 1st in a series. I'll likely use the mobi2mobi (when I figure it out) to chagne the titles so that the series and ordinal is in the title: J D Robb's Eve Dallas Series might be ED#!--Glory in Death, etc. So even the books from Amazon I would want to rename.

But I understand that it's not a FAQ. I'm going to figure it out eventually, though!

Betsy
Start a thread in the Tips board. I know there are people who do it all the time, for exactly the reason you specified (and others). They'll walk you right through the whole process and once you've done it a few times, it's a snap.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I've started the thread in the Tips board! Thanks again!

Nemo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Betsy the Quilter said:
What, not Cherry (Cherry Ames)? Does any one but me remember her??

Betsy
Now that would be a good one too! My sister and I were lucky enough to get my mom and aunt's old Cherry Ames books when we were maybe 9 and 10 I think. I remember thinking that they smelled awful (I do NOT fall into the 'love the perfume of a book' category!), but I loved the stories... We also got their (even older) Honey Bunch books when we were about 7 and 8... Used to love those too!

P.S. We always pronounced it Cherry like the fruit.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Yes, I read the Honey Bunch and Norman books, too.

I would love to get Kindled versions of some of those old books!!!  What fun would that be!

Betsy
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top