Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kindle 2 was sitting on the and I turned to look up as my friend knelt down and I heard a crack. I looked and the screen has a small circle and jagged lines with triangles across the screen. Only half works now. I'm devestated and I have no idea what to do. I've had it for a few months so I can't buy the two year warranty and exchange it. What should I do?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what happened. Was it on the floor? I think that Amazon will let you buy a new one for $200 if it is broken. So sorry about your K2. :(

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Oh Megan so sorry to read about your Kindle  :(
Maybe your friend could help out with the cost of a replacement.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Oh that's sucks to hear it broke. As most have said, not really much you can do about this case.  :-\

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
megan12345 said:
The Kindle 2 was sitting on the and I turned to look up as my friend knelt down and I heard a crack. I looked and the screen has a small circle and jagged lines with triangles across the screen. Only half works now. I'm devestated and I have no idea what to do. I've had it for a few months so I can't buy the two year warranty and exchange it. What should I do?
Was it on the floor, on the couch?? I'm confused because you don't complete the phrase, "The Kindle 2 was sitting on the..."

I guess it doesn't really matter. The sad thing is the Kindle is broken and I feel sad for you. If I were you, I would use the $200 offer from Amazon as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
DD said:
Was it on the floor, on the couch?? I'm confused because you don't complete the phrase, "The Kindle 2 was sitting on the..."

I guess it doesn't really matter. The sad thing is the Kindle is broken and I feel sad for you. If I were you, I would use the $200 offer from Amazon as others have mentioned.
I'm a bit confused too. And why oh why was the kindle some place where it could be knelt on? I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your kindle 2 is still covered by the factory warranty ( good for 1 year) but unfortunately I don't think Amazon will replace your kindle under the warranty.  Using past experiences as a guide, kindle 1 owners have often complained that Amazon will refuse to honor warranties if their is any physical damage to the kindle.  Amazon has repeatedly stated that this is evidence of the kindle being abused.  If you look at the warranty it does state that abuse of the kindle invalidates the warranty.  Some have argued to Amazon that damage to the kindle was accidental and it was not intentional abuse however Amazon has turned a deaf ear to this explanation.  If you had purchased Amazon's extended warranty this still would not help in that it is essentially a extended (2 yr) equivalent of a manufacturer's warranty that also invalidates the warranty under the "abuse clause".

The only warranty that would of helped is SquareTrade.com warranty with the "Accidental Handling Insurance" rider.  This does cover accidents like what you described ( someone unintentionally cracking the screen or spilling coffee on the device).  SquareTrade sells  a second type of insurance which is essentially an equivalent of an extended (3yr) manufacturer's warranty that does not cover accidents but covers events where the kindle just stops working or the battery no longer holds a charge.  The accidental handling insurance is obviously more expensive ( but not by much)  and is well worth it.  All in all the rates are very reasonable.  Hopefully this is info that is helpful if you choose to get another kindle.

·
Registered
615 Posts
ghum said:
... If you had purchased Amazon's extended warranty this still would not help in that it is essentially a extended (2 yr) equivalent of a manufacturer's warranty that also invalidates the warranty under the "abuse clause".
ghum,
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why you say this, since the Amazon extended warranty includes one accident within the period covered by the basic and extended warranties. You have to get that within 30 days of buying the Kindle though.

Since accidents are so much reported and other people will be using my Kindle to try it out etc.,
I did finally opt for the extended warranty, which specifically refers to 'accident' as covered even if it covers only one incident.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Sorry to hear of this. If the friend broke it and it WAS in a safe place I would definitely ask for some type of reimbursement. If it wasn't in a safe place I would not expect any. Hopefully you get a replacement soon.  :) I treat my Kindle as if it were my child, I am overly protective.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I don't mean to be a wet blanket.
But......
With items that cost a lot, like our cell phones (most of us get them for very little but it costs a lot to replace one) and our laptops and our kindles we take extra care.
I don't take my laptop anywhere I don't have to.  And I remain aware that a simple thing like the electricity supply cable connector can bend the connection in the laptop causing me to have to replace the motherboard.  Big Bucks.  So I am extra careful.
I take my K2 everywhere with me.  But I am paranoid about where it is at all times.
Just sayin.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
To Artsandhistoryfan:

I realize that the advertisement of the extended warranty offered by Amazon states that it covers one accident but if you click on the advertisement icon for "terms of the agreement" you can actually see the contract.  In the contract under the section "What is not covered"  I would draw your attention to item "E".

9.  LIMITATIONS OF COVERAGE This Contract Does Not Cover:
A. Any equipment located outside the United States.
B. Service or replacement required as a result of any alteration of the equipment, or repairs
made by anyone other than a participating servicing dealer, an authorized service provider,
its agents, distributors, contractors or licensees, or the use of supplies other than those
recommended by the manufacturer.
C. Damage or other equipment failure due to the failure to maintain the equipment according
to the owner’s manual instructions (except accidental damage from handling claims), abuse,
vandalism, theft, fire, flood, wind, freezing, power failure, inadequate power supply, unusual
atmospheric conditions, acts of war, acts of God or other force majeure events.
D. Service or replacement necessary because of improper storage, improper ventilation,
reconfiguration of equipment, or the failure to place the equipment in an area that complies
with the manufacturer’s published space or environmental requirements.
E. Any utilization of equipment that is inconsistent with either the design of the equipment or
the way the manufacturer intended the equipment to be used. Any and all cases in which the
manufacturer of the equipment would not honor any warranty regarding the equipment.

As you can see item "E" above states: "This contract does not cover" :  "Any and all cases in which the manufacturer of the equipment would not honor any warranty regarding equipment".

When I asked the customer rep about this she re-iterated that if the damage to the kindle is not covered by the factory warranty then it is also not covered by this extended warranty.   I specifically mentioned to her that previous owners of the Kindle 1 have complained that their kindles were broken by accidents (dropping kindle ect) and that Amazon had stated that this invalidated the manufacturer's warranty because of "abuse" .  I also brought up the point that the advertisement (and the wording of the extended contract) stated that the extended warranty covers one accident.  I wanted to know from her how these two seemingly conflicting terms of the contract are reconciled.  She said she can only tell me that what ever is not covered in the manufacturer's warranty is not covered in this extended warranty. Putting it in differnt words I said "since in the past Amazon has repeatedly refused to honor accidents when there is 'physical damage' to the unit I am taking this as you are not really being covered."  I asked again: "Is my intrepretation correct?" and she again just stated "if the manufacturer will not cover it,  then will not be covered in this warranty."

Hopefully this rep is incorrect but as you can see it does state that in the terms of the contract.  On the other hand I posed the same question to SquareTrade pointing out that the manufacturer's warranty does not cover physical damage to the kindle.  SquareTrade stated that if you buy the standard 3 yr extended warranty then "whatever is covered in the manufacturer's warranty is covered by us, but what is not covered by the manufacturer is also not covered by us...however should you purchase the accidental handling insurance it will cover even accidents that has physical damage to the kindle as long as it  not intentional".   Furthermore the cost of the SquareTrade warranty for 3 yrs (not 2) was cheaper.  The 3y extended warranty with accidental handling insurance I purchased for $56.  This was a discounted rate (normally $75) but there is almost monthly discounts at SquareTrade.  Sorry so wordy but hope this is helpful.

gary

·
Registered
615 Posts
ghum said:
To Artsandhistoryfan:

I realize that the advertisement of the extended warranty offered by Amazon states that it covers one accident but if you click on the advertisement icon for "terms of the agreement" you can actually see the contract. In the contract under the section "What is not covered" I would draw your attention to item "E".

9. LIMITATIONS OF COVERAGE This Contract Does Not Cover:

E. Any utilization of equipment that is inconsistent with either the design of the equipment or
the way the manufacturer intended the equipment to be used. Any and all cases in which the
manufacturer of the equipment would not honor any warranty regarding the equipment.

As you can see item "E" above states: "This contract does not cover" : "Any and all cases in which the manufacturer of the equipment would not honor any warranty regarding equipment".
Gary, thanks.

Someone accidentally sitting on a Kindle is not what any sane staffer woud call "utilization" of the
equipment against the intended 'use' of that equipment. But they cover only one accidental
event in the two years. They cover defects that occur without limiting it to one defect. But
nothing intentional that goes against how it should be used - maybe with another charger,
or someone hacking it internally (that does not mean the workarounds we use that are merely
run on it)...

Do call and get another customer rep and then get a supervisor if a customer rep is that idiotic
to say that an accident is not covered considering there is specific coverage for one accident.

The problem with square trade is the hassle and paperwork and time-out w/o the Kindle and how
the replacemen takes place, with Amazon in agreement etc.

If you use your Kindle in ways not intended (normal phraseology) that can cover a lot that we don't
even want to think about.

They used to use that against customized screensavers and finally put out an official statement
this wouldn't void the warranty.

Anyway, for a determination of this type, don't depend on one customer rep who is so literal
she can't even see the exception specifically covered by that extended warranty.

You reasoned with someone who doesn't reason but talked rote to you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Trekker,
  That is correct with respect to SquareTrade.  If the kindle cannot be fixed ( a given since there is no repair facilty), then SquareTrade will re-imburse you for the full cost of a new Kindle.  The benifit of this is that if there is any up-graded kindle models that have since become available you can simply buy that model if you so choose.  In the worst case scenairo you buy the same model and now you get a brand new kindle with a "re-start of the factory warranty".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gimpy04........... glad you introduced yourself into the discussion. Nice to know that amazon has folks who use the board. I have to say
that so far it looks like Amazon Customer Service is getting high marks........ congrats. and keep up the good work.

;D    Brian

1 - 20 of 37 Posts