Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it appears as if my time in Northern California is coming to an end. It has been a wonderful three years for me out here. I could proudly say that my first, second, and third (projected birth date June 11, 2009) Kindles were born in California.

My story won't end in New York, though. I have tentatively accepted an English-teaching position at a Hagwon in Busan, South Korea. As soon as I get my work visa stuff worked out, I'll feel more comfortable. The pressure is on, though. The school wants me there by July 6th, so I have to get to it.

I was so nervous because I thought Amazon was going to release the DX late July. It will surely come in handy during the flight. The Rosetta Stone's Korean PDF files will follow me with it. I'm so excited! I named my DX El Librito de Arielito , but I'm not sure if that name will stay.

Anyway, I know my friends at Kindleboards won't leave me. Wherever I go, Kindleboards and my Librito will always be with me. Let's see how this South Korea thing pans out. Hopefully for the better.

(Unfortunately, I will have to sell my Petit Livre to somebody else to help cover the cost for my Librito. Times are tuff, but reading doesn't have to be.)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Good luck! Teaching in South Korea sounds amazing. :) I hope that you enjoy the time you spend there. How long do you plan to stay there?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Annie said:
Good luck! Teaching in South Korea sounds amazing. :) I hope that you enjoy the time you spend there. How long do you plan to stay there?
Well, the contract is for one year, and if I like it, I can renew for another year.

Thank you!

·
Registered
710 Posts
That's amazing. How did you come across the opportunity? Normally, these are hard to find, I would assume.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Annie said:
That's amazing. How did you come across the opportunity? Normally, these are hard to find, I would assume.
If you have a degree, you're good to go. If you have a degree and TEFL Certificate, better. And if you have a degree, TEFL Certification (or highter), and teaching experience, even better.

I fit in the middle. Nevertheless, if you can't find a job in the USA, find one elsewhere! Besides that, though, I study languages, and having the opportunity to experience another culture, language far outweighs the meaning of a job.

I'm studying, specifically, Mandarin and Korean seriously. More than learning the languages, you begin to understand their differences, which is pretty much entirely different. Sorry for boring you and everyone else. I can go on forever.

Nevertheless, my Librito will definitely come in handy for me. Especially when flying for many hours.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You're not boring me at all. Because being Asian myself - specifically, Chinese. I get firsthand experience on distinguishing different types of Asian languages. Of course to some people, it all sounds the same.

But, I'm glad the DX is coming in time for your flight! Isn't it like 4-6 hours or something if you're going all the way from CA to NY?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
El - congratulations!  I've been thinking about you and wondering what was going on, WOW!  You will definitely have to keep us updated on what is going on with you, what an adventure.  We'll have to get a thread just for you and for any pictures you can send us  ;D

So now we'll have members in Australia, Middle East (Afghanistan and Iraq), Germany, Mexico, South Korea, anywhere else ?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I, for one, and probably most of us, will never be bored with hearing about this adventure. Have fun and keep us posted - or let us know a link to your blog!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
A real adventure. Can't wait until the updates. Glad you are going to get your DX before you leave. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all so much for taking interest.  Y'all motivate me to push myself even harder. 

The E-2 Visa process is what's giving me a headache now, so let's see how that pans out.  That will either make or break me if I get to go in July.  If not, I'll just have to keep on trekkin'.

As I have previously posted, I am extremely glad that the DX is being shipped sooner than expected (actually, what did we expect?).

Nevertheless, it's still an adventure.  Actually, my whole life has been an adventure.  Man, now that I think about it, it has.  I have to get something published in the future.  Heh heh.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
El, haven't you learned yet that we LOVE to hear about what's going on in others' lives?  I live vicariously through y'all.  This sounds like such an exciting adventure and I can't wait to hear more about it.
Keep boring us.
deb

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
drenee said:
El, haven't you learned yet that we LOVE to hear about what's going on in others' lives? I live vicariously through y'all. This sounds like such an exciting adventure and I can't wait to hear more about it.
Keep boring us.
deb
This is me right now after reading these posts: :) Trust me, I needed that.

Seriously, y'all, my adventure has already started. Getting my E-2 Work Visa ready is an adventure of itself. Today, I had to get my criminal background check (letter of clearance) to prove that I haven't committed any crimes or, as the officer bluntly said, have any warrants out against me. Oh, and I have to pick it up tomorrow.

I have never been arrested or committed any crimes, but walking in a police precinct and getting my fingerprints taken felt really awkward. My paranoia started to kick in, and I would mentally talk to myself: "Okay, if there is a warrant out against me, the worst thing I could think of is missing jury duty. Oh, but wait! I never got a jury duty letter. I recently got a jury duty letter from New York! New York! And I'm mailing proof that I have been living in California for the LAST...THREE...YEARS! Oh, man..." And it kept going and going, and it keeps going and going.

My story will go on...

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Anytime you need to vent during your process, don't hesitate to stop in and vent here.  Besides knowing everything there is to know about Ks, everyone here is very supportive.
deb

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I hope you will keep a Journal to keep track of your new adventures...who knows there could be a best seller in your future. 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
El - I can so relate to the police story!  My "legal" address is a very small town in SE Texas, where I have actually never lived.  We were making application for permanent visas to Brazil and needed a police letter, my cousin lives in that small town and we went to visit, she took us to the police station, even though it was very small you still get intimidated  ;), telling them our story - honest from the git go - they did a letter for us while we waited and promised to come visit LOL.

When we first applied for visas to Mexico they were requiring the same police letter, but we never got one and they never asked for it.

Good idea to keep a journal, electronic or otherwise, we do want to hear!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
A friend of mine went to get her permit to carry concealed weapon about a month ago.  She goes to the police station in person to fill out the paperwork.  They do the FBI search and it comes back that she is a male!!  The police know her, but there was nothing they could do because if the FBI says it, it's true.  This post would be way too long if I told everything she had to go through to prove she was indeed a female.  She's only been married about six months.  Her husband is very glad he's not married to a male. 
deb

1 - 20 of 26 Posts