Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an email from Amazon letting me know that they have removed the licenses on my unregistered devices and that I should be able to now view all of my content on all of my devices.

Back story for those who don't know it:

I purchased a K1 last March. Over the course of a year, it was replaced twice. Each time It was replaced, downloaded all of my books to each device. I also purchased Kindles for both my mom and my daughter. I've downloaded the majority of my books to each of those as well. When the K2 was announced, I immediately sold my K1 and ordered a K2. Then I bought got an iPhone.

I have nearly 250 books in my Media Library. I was only able to access about 160 of them on my iPhone. The 2 defective Kindles that had been returned were still holding licenses for all of those books, making me exceed my up to 6 limit.

A few weeks ago, I called customer service explaining my problem. They told me they could remove the licenses, but that it was done individually within each book. I needed to call back with a list of my titles and they would take care of it. I knew it was a lot of books, but wasn't sure just how many until I sat down and created my list (which by the way, took a few hours). It wasn't something that was high on my priority list, but I figured I might as well get it done and over with.

Last Sunday, I called with my list as requested and when I told the CS rep how many books I had, she asked me to email them to CS (I think I scared her to death) anyway, I emailed the list to themthe following morning. I didn't hear anything back from them until Wednesday evening. All that I got at that point was that it would require more time to research and I would hear back within 3-5 days.

Yesterday, I called to get an update since I hadn't heard anything. The CS rep I spoke with checked into it and told me I should hear something back within 3-5 days (in addition to the 3-5 days they told me last week) but they were working on it. Lovely.

This afternoon, I received the email stating it had been resolved. YAY! I grabbed my iphone, opened up the app and.... I was still missing the 90 books <sigh> I tried syncing..nope. I tried shutting down the app and restarting it..nope. I deleted the app and reinstalled it...Archived Items (247) YAY!!!!!! Grabbed Bella, check archived items...still missing. Restarted..there they are! I now have all of my books back. I'm so happy!

It did take them nearly a week and a half, several phone calls and a few emails, but it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Great story.  I'm only at 3 devices, but could be in your shoes by this time next year, so good to hear.  I also have over 200 books.

·
Registered
21,588 Posts
Luv,
Glad to hear that your issue is being resolved to your satisfaction.
We all either love or want to love Amazon (after all without them we wouldn't have Kindle).
However this makes me satisfied that I only have 1.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good deal! I bet you're tired of dealing with all the CS!  :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad your problem is resolved. I am glad to say that something good may come of this- I have started a spreadsheet listing the books I have ordered and which Kindles they have been downloaded to. I have 3 Kindles now- 2 Klassics (one is my mothers) and a K2. I figured if I kept track now it would be easier to take care of later assuming Amazon doesn't figure out another way to do this in the future. So thanks Luv for making us aware of the issue  :)

Lynn L

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I am glad it was resolved for you.

Lynn said:
Glad your problem is resolved. I am glad to say that something good may come of this- I have started a spreadsheet listing the books I have ordered and which Kindles they have been downloaded to. I have 3 Kindles now- 2 Klassics (one is my mothers) and a K2. I figured if I kept track now it would be easier to take care of later assuming Amazon doesn't figure out another way to do this in the future. So thanks Luv for making us aware of the issue :)

Lynn L
Lynn, I am doing the same thing! Yesterday I received a replacement Kindle (sun fading issue). Because of Luv's post, I saved a list of the books I had purchased from Amazon prior to receiving the replacement. While the CS person I talked with said that the Kindle I returned would not count as one of my devices, I am not certain if that meant I would need to provide a list titles in the future. I
will be adding to my spreadsheet of Kindle books a column for each device the book was downloaded to so that I will know the device count (as well as book source, when it was read, etc.). :D

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I am delighted your problem was finally resolved, and as some others have said, it is a good idea to keep track ourselves of what books we have.  Guess what my next kindle project is? You betcha!  I've always had a list of what DTB I had so why not kindle books.

Thanks again for going through all this for the rest of us.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
That's an excellent idea on the spreadsheet, even if it seems silly that we have to do it for licensing reasons. I already keep a spreadsheet of my books anyway and I'm still on my first Kindle for books (my backup Kindle only has samples so far), but at least it will be easy to adjust the spreadsheet for licensing issues if I ever need to. Here's hoping I won't need to.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm very happy it's resolved. I don't keep a spreadsheet, (even after this, I don't intend to) All I did was compare the titles that were available in my Media Library to the ones available on my iPhone. If it didn't show up in archives, I added it to the list (I even cut and pasted, so it actually wasn't difficult.) It probably took longer than it should have becuase I had to "clean it up" to make it look nice. I doubt CS would have cared if I hadn't). I just sorted both to show in Title order.

The next step is to find someone who has deregistered a Kindle not for warranty issues to see how they resolve the licensing. I've heard conflicting statements as to whether or not they'll renew the license for thos customers.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
It's great to hear that they took care of your problem.  I am only on device number 2, but I can see problems down the road as I continue to get upgrade fever.  I did start keeping a spreadsheet with my Kindle books (mostly to track how much I am spending) so if I ever need a list it should be pretty easy to get.  However, I do hope that they change how they count devices, because it's only going to get worse in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Hopefully they will go nuts when everyone starts calling in to do the same darned thing and change their silly policy.

I am glad that you can read your books now.
It probably isn't a policy but a short-sighted software issue which will require a complete overhaul of how Amazon tracks book licenses and devices. IT and database systems are my speciality today so I can see how a) a bad decision about license tracking would be made and b) the resulting mess of dealing with the bad decision. Sure am glad I'm sticking mostly to free books right now.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I just received an email from Amazon letting me know that they have removed the licenses on my unregistered devices and that I should be able to now view all of my content on all of my devices.

Back story for those who don't know it:

I purchased a K1 last March. Over the course of a year, it was replaced twice. Each time It was replaced, downloaded all of my books to each device. I also purchased Kindles for both my mom and my daughter. I've downloaded the majority of my books to each of those as well. When the K2 was announced, I immediately sold my K1 and ordered a K2. Then I bought got an iPhone.

I have nearly 250 books in my Media Library. I was only able to access about 160 of them on my iPhone. The 2 defective Kindles that had been returned were still holding licenses for all of those books, making me exceed my up to 6 limit.

A few weeks ago, I called customer service explaining my problem. They told me they could remove the licenses, but that it was done individually within each book. I needed to call back with a list of my titles and they would take care of it. I knew it was a lot of books, but wasn't sure just how many until I sat down and created my list (which by the way, took a few hours). It wasn't something that was high on my priority list, but I figured I might as well get it done and over with.

Last Sunday, I called with my list as requested and when I told the CS rep how many books I had, she asked me to email them to CS (I think I scared her to death) anyway, I emailed the list to themthe following morning. I didn't hear anything back from them until Wednesday evening. All that I got at that point was that it would require more time to research and I would hear back within 3-5 days.

Yesterday, I called to get an update since I hadn't heard anything. The CS rep I spoke with checked into it and told me I should hear something back within 3-5 days (in addition to the 3-5 days they told me last week) but they were working on it. Lovely.

This afternoon, I received the email stating it had been resolved. YAY! I grabbed my iphone, opened up the app and.... I was still missing the 90 books <sigh> I tried syncing..nope. I tried shutting down the app and restarting it..nope. I deleted the app and reinstalled it...Archived Items (247) YAY!!!!!! Grabbed Bella, check archived items...still missing. Restarted..there they are! I now have all of my books back. I'm so happy!

It did take them nearly a week and a half, several phone calls and a few emails, but it's fixed.
luv, when did you find out about the licensing issue; when you tried to register the so called '7th' one? If that's the case, then I'm up to 5 licenses when I actually only have 2 Kindles. I don't have as many books as you do, so it shouldn't be as difficult for them to clean up my account.

Did you have to have the old serial numbers of your former Kindles when you called CS or did they have a record of all of them stored?

Glad you got it all worked out. Now you can go buy more Kindles! ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.